Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hi, again. I'm moving to China.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Hi, again. I'm moving to China.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-12, 10:20 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by freedomrider1
that is one sweet beater bike...
Thanks!

This thread from several years ago tells the whole story -- before/after photos, etc. I bought the bike on Craigslist for $100, stripped it, had the frame powder coated, and rebuilt it with a few new components (handlebars, seat post, tires, stem, a couple of other things).

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ssault-Vehicle

Last edited by BengeBoy; 05-20-12 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-20-12, 10:21 AM
miss kenton

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Hi Benjeboy!
It was great to see this post and look forward to more. What a fascinating adventure you are on! I kept looking at the "No chase, slapstick" sign. I am guessing the word "slapstick" is meant to convey "horseplay", however, I suppose in Chinese, "horseplay" may seem ridiculous on a bike path. Of course, "slapstick" may be the precise word if Beijing is home to a great number of Vaudevillians, yes?
Old 05-20-12, 10:26 AM
missjean

Bikes: A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good to see you settled in nicely! Nice photos. I love the landscaping along the highway.
Old 05-20-12, 10:26 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Miss Kenton - I've been "collecting" signs ever since I got here.

Here's a new favorite:

Old 05-20-12, 12:53 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked 667 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy

Here's a new favorite:

Same guys translate the signage as do the translation for the electronic gadgets no doubt.
Old 05-20-12, 01:06 PM
Durockrolly

Bikes: 2020 Giant Cypress DX

Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
Hi Again!

Many months since I last logged on or posted, but thought I'd provide a quick update to old acquaintances because today I (finally) took my first bike ride in Beijing. It's been a long time since December -- I've made 5 (!) round trips to Seattle as I juggled between old job and new one, and finally got settled in here full time in April. Thousands of details to take care (immigration, finding a place to live, banking, new phones, moving stuff, etc.)...and after I got my bike here two weeks ago it took me a couple of weeks to spare the energy to put it together.

I decided for starters to bring over my "beater" commuter bike, a late-80's Specialized Stumpjumper that I converted to a tough city commuter. I took about a two-hour ride through the city today, and stopped and posed it at the cafe with the "Love Beijing / Ride Bike" sign that I added earlier in this thread. Proved to be a great choice for now; for poking around narrow old streets (the hutongs) and rugged urban pavement and road construction this is a perfect bike. I still have ambition to bring a "good" bike over (or get one here) but I'll leave that for another day.

Just today's little ride was such a huge mood lifter for me! I've certainly tried to be adventurous in my months here, and have traveled around the city quite a bit when I have spare time, but there is something about traveling by bike that is such a great way to explore a new city -- fast enough to cover some ground, slow enough to see the sites. I'm about 3 miles from the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square, so most of the tourist spots you've heard of are easy striking distance by bike.

Thanks for the earlier encouragement; when I get some better ride pics I'll post 'em.

BB

Big poster honoring the firefighters. (Those are hose nozzles they're holding, not guns).

Overpass.

There's no MILES in China! Even a dummy like me knows that!
Old 05-20-12, 02:07 PM
miss kenton

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

Here's a new favorite:

Hmmph. Must be crab grass.

(Share you signs with us as you find them!)
Old 05-21-12, 06:19 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
That could become our new 50+ threat. "BEWARE OF GRASS" It beats Hey you kids, stay off my lawn all to pieces. Thanks Benge.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 05-22-12, 09:47 AM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Good to hear from you... I'd been wondering what has become of you. Keep those posts from China coming. It's good stuff!
Old 05-23-12, 02:58 PM
JGaerlan

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts
CONTROLLED CHAOS

This is how I will describe cycling in Beijing. Just came back from a bus tour of Beijing. Wanted to cycle originally but the outlaw (err I mean the inlaw) wanted to go so we had to take this packaged tour.

Always kept my eye on the cycling scene. What;s good is that there are separated and/or marked bike paths all over the place. Our hotel was about 15 mi north of the city center. To the right of the toll roads, there are service roads parallel where commuting cyclists are.

Having said that, a lot of rules are bent. Cars are parked on the bike lanes. Bikes go in both directions where it should be in one.

Even with such perceived lawlessness per our standards, there seem to be a choreographed ballet of cyclists weaving on the road. You don't see cyclists nor vehicles doing abrupt stops as they come close to each other. They gage, sense and feel each other and at the last minute, one would give way to the other. No raising of the middle finger or yelling. Our tour bus would make U turns from the middle lane as if it was nothing. Never in a hurry, never jerking.

Maybe the best way to ride Beijing is just go with the flow. No abrupt stops where other cyclists can pile on you. There are a lot of electric bikes. It's the working man's motorcycle. Instead of food trucks, you have food electric trikes. Three wheel contraptions that's electric powered cooking pancakes, noodles etc. They are no longer pedal powered. With their weight, the motor gives them the propulsion. I suspect the pedals are just there so they can have bicycle status - no registration, no insurance.

Took a lot of video and photos focusing on cyclists. Will sort it soon and post it.

I wish I could move to china as well. I think it is still the wild wild west. Amazed at the construction boom paling what we have here. Trying to learn Mandarin now.

Keep sending your updates
Old 05-23-12, 03:35 PM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How's the air quality? I know things were cleaned up for the Olympics, but that was four years ago.
Old 05-23-12, 06:19 PM
BengeBoy 

Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
How's the air quality? I know things were cleaned up for the Olympics, but that was four years ago.
Pollution is a part of daily life. There's pollution, and then the dust; some days, especially when the dust blows in from the deserts, just just dusty and gritty; it reminds me of working all day on the farm like I did when I was a kid. Other days it's really "pollution," and pretty icky; other days it's ok. Like many expats, I have purchased two air filters, and keep them running constantly, one in the living room, one in the bedroom. Helps a bit.

View from my office on a bad day.

Same view on an average day.

View in my neighborhood park on an OK day.

Old 05-27-12, 05:55 AM
BengeBoy 

Rode yesterday and today, total of 6 or 7 hours on bike, lots of wandering around. Didn't cover many miles, but saw a lot of cool stuff. Swung by Tiananmen Square to get these shots:

Entrance to the Forbidden City.

The Great Hall of the People.