Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Ocean City, MD this extended weekend

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-08, 10:49 AM
gurana
Tête de Limace

Bikes: 2001 Lemond Nevada City; ~1987 Peugeot US Express; ~1985 Panasonic Sport 500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

I'm going to be heading down to Ocean City thursday evening and I'm bringing my bike. I'm pretty much going to be starting on Rt. 1/Coastal Highway and heading north, but if anybody has reccomendations about areas to possibly avoid (say, by driving to a particular parking lot) I'd appreciate that. I was planning on sticking to Rt 1, but if there are other roads off of this that are better, I'm open to suggestions. TIA.
Old 09-16-08, 02:10 PM
G-Whacker
Affable Aberrant

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How far do you want to ride?
For my money, the trip down 611 to Assateague is a better ride than rt 1.
You could hit Berlin from there if you're looking for more mileage.
When I do rt 1, I take a left in Bethany and go to rt 17 to Roxanna, then take rt 20 back to 54 into Fenwick island. Depending on where you start, you could eat up a metric century pretty easily.
Old 09-16-08, 04:44 PM
gurana
Tête de Limace

Bikes: 2001 Lemond Nevada City; ~1987 Peugeot US Express; ~1985 Panasonic Sport 500

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by G-Whacker
When I do rt 1, I take a left in Bethany and go to rt 17 to Roxanna, then take rt 20 back to 54 into Fenwick island. Depending on where you start, you could eat up a metric century pretty easily.
Thanks G, those look like good ideas. I'll take a look at the mileage... it would be helpful if I knew where I was staying, but I'll figure that all out later.
Old 09-16-08, 05:23 PM
gurana
Tête de Limace

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
for those interested, I mapped out a couple of rides based off of the previous posting:

https://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...y/454798753435

https://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...y/327823573529
Old 09-16-08, 05:43 PM
NoRacer
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a couple here, as well:

https://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...thany-Beach-DE

https://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/OCMD-to-Assateague

My friend, G, who lives out that way, says that RT-26 out of Bethany Beach is a good riding road.

Here's the route I took to ride to OCMD for July the 4th, 2008:

https://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...d-via-Delaware

I drove over for the Labor Day holiday and did these rides (recorded using GPS):

https://bimactive.com/ba/journal/post/10783/16891

https://bimactive.com/ba/journal/post/10783/16960

Last edited by NoRacer; 09-16-08 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-17-08, 07:55 AM
emcb1230

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G-Whacker
+ 1

There are some nice quiet rides once you get off the main roads in MD and DE.
Old 09-17-08, 01:41 PM
gurana
Tête de Limace

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
How're the riding conditions around on rt 1 (north and south) and from rt 1 to 50?
Old 09-17-08, 07:46 PM
NoRacer
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gurana
How're the riding conditions around on rt 1 (north and south) and from rt 1 to 50?
There's a bike lane on RT1 both sides. Outside of OC, the speed limit is as high as 55 MPH. The shoulder is shared with walkers, joggers, runners, and skaters.

In OC, you share the bike lane with buses only, but some runners use it too--illegally.

Heading south through OC, you need to take a right turn from the main drag to stay on the bike lane. You can follow it up until you see signs for Assateague, at which point it brings you back up to the main drag and you follow it right to RT50, cross the drawbridge, then you have a wide shoulder to cycle on until you have to make the left on to RT611 to Assateague.

I've had no problem riding across the drawbridge, but there is a metal portion to it that if wet could be slick. When I cross it, I don't lollygag... I bust butt trying to stay with car traffic. Doing so, I've never had anyone ever blow their horn at me. I much rather cross this way instead of going on to the sidewalk and fighting my way past people fishing off the bridge.

Last edited by NoRacer; 09-17-08 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-17-08, 07:52 PM
ranger13

Bikes: Trek Navigator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was there two weeks ago and road out to Assateague. It was 10 miles from 5th and the boardwalk to the top of the Assateague bridge. I road out the the end of the road in the federal park checking out the side roads and the beach. Total was 30 miles when I got back to the hotel. Nice ride and very little traffic. If you cross the rt 50 bridge follow the bike route, it's a little safer. Biggest problem I had was the huge bugs I ran in to, they leave marks.
Old 05-21-12, 02:21 PM
jimcander

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All -

Granted I'm posting in a 4 year old thread, I figured it's best to keep my questions in a relevant thread instead of clogging up things. I'm training for my first metric century and I will be in the OC area starting Thursday of this week. I am bringing my bike and am looking for a couple of 50-65mi rides while I'm there. Based off of where I'm staying and what I've read here, I figured up 1 to Bethany then out to 17, down til it changes to 52 to Selbyville and then back to OC. Comments? Suggestions?
Old 05-21-12, 03:25 PM
telebianchi

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts
I just spent the weekend of May 11-13 camping at Assateague and doing long rides in the area. I've also done some riding west of Dewey/Bethany/Rehoboth. I preferred the roads and scenery south of Berlin. I did ride up to Ocean City boardwalk for a crab cake sandwich. The Rte 50 bridge into/out of OC is kind of a pain because the sidewalk is very narrow. I was there on a non-holiday weekend and had to walk the bike most of the way. It is doable, but just work it into your time schedule.

Great map available here: https://www.visitworcester.org/index....view-trail-100
Take 50 out OC over the bridge. Follow bike path south along Stephen Decatur Hwy (Rt 611). Go right on Sinepuxent Road which will bring you down to Berlin. Follow the referenced map from there on. Rte 113 can be safely ridden on a wide shoulder, but it is a busy highway. Linking up the side roads is much more enjoyable.

Here's a little 60 mile loop for you: https://g.co/maps/nt8rf

Having ridden in that area now, if I were in OC I think I would pick at least one day and drive down to Berlin or Snow Hill to start my biking for the day.

Some pictures and more info in this post: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post14225785

Last edited by telebianchi; 05-21-12 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-21-12, 07:33 PM
jimcander

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by telebianchi
Here's a little 60 mile loop for you: https://g.co/maps/nt8rf
Thanks you for this!!!! I think that might be just the ticket for me. Any comments on starting the ride further up toward the Delaware/Maryland Line where I'm staying the then doing the loop? Thinking about traffic and such and getting out from OC. I plan on doing it early in the morning.