Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike Sizing for 33 inch inseam

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-12, 11:13 PM
CaptainMalick98

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys, im 13 and looking to buy a bike. I'm only 5 ft 6.5, but im leaning towards getting a 58 cm bike, because i have very long legs with a 33 inch inseam. What i'm wondering, if i were to get a big bike to correspond to my legs, would it lead to an uncomfortable riding position? Could this be fixed by buying a shorter stem? Also, 56cm is probably the lowest I'd go because im growing pretty fast right now, and dont want to a get a bike i'll outgrow in a year.

Thanks
Old 05-20-12, 11:21 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Liked 139 Times in 53 Posts
You are leggy.

This is the same issue many women face. I don't know what you budget is but there are some brands out there that make women specific bikes to address this issue by going with a slightly shorted top tube. This could be one option for you.

A shorter stem will help you based on your height/inseam it may not be enough. If you go too short handling will suffer.

I think you might be better served to visit a few shops and go through a fit with them. Your proportions are outside the norm enough that this could be time well spent.

Good luck.

Old 05-20-12, 11:23 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 1,013 Times in 648 Posts
56 might be better, but as you say, you will out grow it soon. Stems are easy to swap, so you could compromise with a shorter stem for now, and maybe swap to a longer one in a year.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 05-20-12 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-21-12, 04:32 PM
CaptainMalick98

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice lol now i need to find a WSD bike that doesn't look like a girls bike -_- Or i guess i can get a 56 and swap out the frame if i don't have the money for a new bike by the time i outgrow it... lol thanks
Old 05-21-12, 04:57 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cervelo Rouvida x 2

Liked 571 Times in 455 Posts
That's much too large a frame for a 33 inch cycling inseam. I'm the same height. My inseam is 32-5/8" or 83cm. The largest frames I've ever ridden are 55cm c-t and I've been riding 51cm c-c for many years. With your inseam, your saddle height should be around 74cm. All I need is a 125mm head tube length with a 15mm headset top section to get enough bar height for either a 9cm saddle to bar drop with an 84 degree stem or an 11cm drop with a 73 degree stem. If you can't that much saddle to bar drop, there are a lot of frames with another 20mm of head tube length, that don't have more TT length or reach.
Old 05-21-12, 05:04 PM
CaptainMalick98

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright, thanks. So with a 33 inch inseam, do you think 54-56 would be appropriate, or still a bit large side? Thanks
Old 05-21-12, 05:04 PM
rearviewbeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At 13, I would go for as big as fits somewhat comfortably. You should still have quite a bit of growing to go.
Old 05-21-12, 05:16 PM
CaptainMalick98

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok thanks i'll do that, and maybe buy a stem just in case
Old 05-24-12, 10:27 PM
CaptainMalick98

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, havn't had time to get fitted yet, but it turns out the meassuring tape i use was old and warped and no good, so my mom bought a ruler, and to my surprise, my inseam was 34 in.... This may not actually be a bad thing, because i found a nice 58 cm bike, if it fits but is too long, i'll be getting shorter stem, and yeah. Thanks for the advice guys
Old 05-24-12, 11:03 PM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You could always get a decent used bike, & look for something nicer in a few years when most of your growing spurt is done.
Old 05-24-12, 11:22 PM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainMalick98
Well, havn't had time to get fitted yet, but it turns out the meassuring tape i use was old and warped and no good, so my mom bought a ruler, and to my surprise, my inseam was 34 in.... This may not actually be a bad thing, because i found a nice 58 cm bike, if it fits but is too long, i'll be getting shorter stem, and yeah. Thanks for the advice guys
I don't recommend this. Get a bike that fits, you'll be much happier. Buy one second hand with decent components. In a few years when you outgrow it, get a cheapy frame that fits, if you're lucky you can get this second hand too.
Old 05-24-12, 11:53 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Assuming your inseam measurement is correct, there's no way you'll fit on a 56 or 58cm bike at 5' 6.5". You won't be able to reach the bars. Seriously, it will be comical if you try to ride one of those sizes. There isn't a short enough stem to make those bikes fit you. It's possible a 54 will fit but I still think reach is going to be an issue unless you resort to an uber-short stem and short reach bars. Look at bikes with a comfort geometry unless you want a ridiculous amount of saddle-to-bar drop. If you weren't still growing I'd say a 52cm comfort geometry bike would be the safest bet.

Last edited by Dunbar; 05-24-12 at 11:57 PM.
Old 05-25-12, 07:28 AM
Vlaam4ever

Bikes: 2008 Giant TCR Advanced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainMalick98
Alright, thanks. So with a 33 inch inseam, do you think 54-56 would be appropriate, or still a bit large side? Thanks
54 may work, 56 is on the large size. I recommend purchasing what fits now. just dont go overboard on the frame cost, knowing that you will have to replace it in the coming years. could be next year or in 5 years.
Old 05-26-12, 07:40 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Liked 514 Times in 389 Posts
Originally Posted by Vlaam4ever
54 may work, 56 is on the large size. I recommend purchasing what fits now. just dont go overboard on the frame cost, knowing that you will have to replace it in the coming years. could be next year or in 5 years.
I concur. I've got a similar build, not quite as extreme, just 10 percent taller, 6' with a 35" inseam. Anything with a top tube in the 57-58 cm range works for me, with a head tube no shorter than 17 cm.

Look for bikes with short-ish top tubes and a not-too-short head tube. For instance, a Felt F-series is probably a poor fit. The Trek H2 or Scott CR1/Speedster fit might be just the ticket. If your arm length is more proportional to your leg length--you're more of a spider than a tyrannosaurus--you should be able to handle a bit more handlebar drop than average for your height.

Last edited by oldbobcat; 05-26-12 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-27-12, 06:50 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Young man....first, forget a women's bike. You are going to grow. You are light. Buy an aluminum bike...I raced and crashed a lot at your age...like a used CAAD...they won't break the bank. Look on Craigslist.

As to size. I am all legs and 6' and ride a 58. You will be stretched out on a 58. Its OK to be a bit stretched out because you are uber flexibile and light at your age. A bigger bike will have a taller head tube and move the handlebars closer to your shoulder joints. So you won't be as stretched out as you think. You will likely grow into those long legs but may always have a long leg length for your height like I do.
I suggest you look for a size 54-56 bike. If you buy a second hand CAAD bike, you can easily sell it for little loss after riding for a couple of years.

You seem like a smart young man to even ask the question you did, so learn to swap components from frame to frame. Switching frames is nothing to those into the sport. Just buy right to minimize your cost.
Have fun and all the best in your cycling pursuits.

Last edited by Campag4life; 05-27-12 at 06:56 AM.
Old 05-27-12, 06:59 AM
mmmdonuts
Gluteus Enormus

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with those who recommend you get the biggest bike that fits now. Then plan on buying a Nashbar type aluminum frame every year or two for the next few years. It's impossible to know when and how much you'll grow each time a spurt kicks in. Are your parents tall?

Of course if you turn out to be really good at this then someone else will take care of the frames for you.
Old 05-27-12, 07:12 AM
robotkiller

Bikes: Turner Czar, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
58 will be too big. I'm 5'10 with a 33" inseam and can fit a 54 or 56, depending on the bike. You can try the fit calculator on competitive cyclist's website to get a rough fit estimate. I'd think a 54" would be correct, but it's impossible to say when/if you'd outgrow it.
Old 05-28-12, 12:03 PM
CaptainMalick98

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the advice guys. I ended up goiing to my LBS to get fitted, and they recommended a 58cm frame, so i searched on craigslist and bought a 58 cm bike. Now i just need shorter stem and im all set
Old 05-28-12, 03:28 PM
ilovecycling

Bikes: LOOK 595 & Cannondale CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
52 for right now or 54 to grow into. If you think you'll grow past 5' 10" then a 56 could work too. 58 would be way too big if you are only 5' 7" and all legs.

*edit* Methinks the LBS had a 58cm they wanted to sell you. Might want to get a secone opinion because those numbers sound way off.
Old 05-28-12, 03:40 PM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
5'6" on a 58...no way.
Old 05-28-12, 03:51 PM
Dunbar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
He's young, hopefully this can be a learning experience for him...
Old 05-28-12, 04:53 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
OP...don't listen to the nay sayers about choosing the wrong size frame This place is frought with guys riding and recommending small bikes. You can ride that 58 and you will grow into it. You may choose a flat 80mm stem...or one flipped down and you will be fine.
A lot of guys forget what it is like to be 13. When I was your age, I was probably about the same size and rode a Schwinn Varsity about that size and it was no prob. Years ago, cyclists rode larger bikes and mostly sized off inseam.
If you would, when you get the bike set up, come on back and prove everybody wrong if you would. Would like to a pic with you on the bike.
Enjoy your new bike. I will add...getting a new bike never gets old.
Old 05-29-12, 01:27 PM
Dunbar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Campag4life
If you would, when you get the bike set up, come on back and prove everybody wrong if you would.
I wish the OP would post a pic on the bike riding the brake hoods...Good luck with that.
Old 05-29-12, 02:44 PM
Perp

Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
I vote 56

33" inseam here but 5'9". Used to ride a 56 and felt a bit stretched. Got a 54 now and fits great. Sold my 56cm to a friend who's 6'1" and with a longer stem, fit him great with a nice aggressive drop.

56 might feel a bit big now, but shouldn't be too bad with a 80mm stem and probably minimal drop.

But try various sizes or post a pic with bikes.