Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Im so lost. Help! Need a road bike. Suggestions?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-12, 01:47 PM
Dallas Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok everyone,

I have been doing a lot of research the last 3 weeks on what road bike to get. Im looking for something comfortable that i can go very long distances on, as i want to train to do my first century ride. So far i have looked into the specialized roubaix, the cannondale synapse, and as of last night i have been looking at the masi evoluzione. This leads me to two questions. First, i dont know much about masi. Are they good bikes? Second, are there any bikes out there that any of you think i should take a look at?

Thanks
Old 05-28-12, 01:52 PM
Karcas

Bikes: 2012 CAAD10 4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does "looked into" mean that you test rode them? Test rides are going to be the best thing you can do IMO.
Old 05-28-12, 01:53 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome To Bike Forums, Dallas!

First things first!

MASI makes excellent quality bikes!

What's the upper limit of your budget?

Will you primarily be using this bike for touring and/or long distance cycling?...If so, what type of touring?

Interstate touring?...Credit card touring?

Do you anticipate commuting with this bike?

Thanks for answering these start-up questions, in advance!

Last edited by SlimRider; 05-28-12 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-28-12, 02:01 PM
matty2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey there, I'm in the same boat. Have you looked at the Focus cayo evo 2.0?
Old 05-28-12, 03:01 PM
Dallas Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only one i test rode is the roubaix and i liked the way it felt but i wasnt blown away. I will not be doing a touring or commuting. I will be using the bike for long rides with a bike club here in dallas and to train for a century ride. Looking for something comfortable for long rides and i am very intersted in all of your opionions on frame materials and what you prefer most and why. Im trying to compile a list of bikes to test ride that fit the criteria of riding i am trying to do.

Thanks
Old 05-28-12, 04:12 PM
BentLink

Bikes: '86 Cannondale SR400, '86 Pugeot PX10, '92 Bianchi Axis, '95 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, '00 Fondriest X-Status, '08 Specialized Roubaix, '13 Cannondale CAADX

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I test rode both the Synapse and Roubaix. Both where great, but the Roubaix felt a little better to me. If you can find one, I'd say try the Wilier-Triestina Grantourismo--I've been smitten with the look and concept of that.
Old 05-28-12, 04:22 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
Is money no option? I recommend Taiwanese OEM carbon frame, or one badged by an inexpensive company, and Shimano or Sram gear/brake parts.
https://range.wordpress.com/2009/09/0...ike-companies/
https://www.feltbicycles.com/
https://www.azzurribikes.com/
Carbon frames are light and comfortable. I am not sure that the maker can make all that much difference. My carbon bike (from the last company) changed my ride/life after using a aluminum "7.3" or some such from Giant or Trek. I think that my next bike may be a Felt which I can get for about 1700USD even at an LBS.
Old 05-28-12, 04:43 PM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
All good bikes. You may also want to try the Felt "Z" series as mentioned too.
Old 05-28-12, 05:59 PM
dpeters11

Bikes: 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As for Masi, their baseline Evoluzione is $2000. There really are no bad brands at that price level.
Old 05-28-12, 07:10 PM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't know what you're expecting to blow you away but this is a G rated forum. Test ride the synapse and make a choice. The carbon synapse and roubaix are both great bikes. If you want to be blown you're going to have to throw more $$ at it (like many things in life).
Old 05-28-12, 07:12 PM
JustinHorne

Liked 18 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Karcas
Test rides are going to be the best thing you can do IMO.
I disagree. As a new rider, the things you're going to be noticing on a test ride are pretty much all fit related due to whether or not the setup the bike has when you ride it happens by chance to work with your body.

There's very little you can learn in a test ride other than subtle ride and handling characteristics, and a new rider is not going to notice that.
Old 05-28-12, 07:17 PM
doctor j

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
For what it's worth, 11,300 miles on my Synapse Carbon 5. I've been pleased with it. If there is a dealer in your area, give it a test ride.
Old 05-28-12, 08:13 PM
Eclectus

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I test rode a Spzd Roubaix in 09, on a two-day paid trial. Brought it back after 30 mi. I liked it, but it wasn't "my bike". They let me take out a Cervelo RS. In the parking lot I felt, "This feels like my bike." So I rode it 30 miles, "Yes this is good!" I rode it 4500 mi that summer

.I only did one century (totally comfy), but lots of 50-60 mile rides. Tips: I had to find smooth-bottom shorts, durable. Gore Ozons and Assos FI Milles, there's a reason long-distance riders love both of these shorts. I've ridden lots of shorts brands. If you ride out of the saddle, they're all good. But heavy-sitting on your butt for hours, Gore and Assos are really appreciable. They both use Assos-owned Cytech pads.

For long riding you may have to use a lube. Lots of good options. I like the Assos Creme. It's expensive, but it's really good becuse one "dose" lasts for a long ride. Other cheaper lubes, you may need "replenishment". Which is okay too.

On saddles, I've gone to Brooksies . Lots of saddles out there, lots of good ones. Brooksies, heavy, but they support my heavy-on-the-saddle riding. Hard surface, no padding, but they treat my butt and perineum nicely. No penile numbies.

Right now, my Cervelo is in the garage. Do I hate it? No, it's a beauty bike. But pavement maintenance is terrible here. I got a Spzd Crux, right now mounted with 34 mm vectran-puncture-resistant Schwalbe Duremes. (Stock tires took too many nasty puncturers.) Max inflation 80 psi. Slow-me-down! But wide expansion joints and potholes on our roads don't pinch-flat me or deform my rims. Cyclocross bikes are cool, if you aren't upset being passed.
Old 05-28-12, 08:50 PM
Savagewolf
KingoftheMountain wannabe

Bikes: V.O. Pass Hunter & Specialized Hardrock

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here are my tips :
Step 1 - Determine your budget
Step 2 - Subtract $300 from the budget for bike extras (clothing, bottle cages, bottles, saddle bag, etc)
Step 3 - Go to a bike shop (or three) and get fitted to find what size of bike you generally should be riding
Step 4 - Test ride the bikes in the budget range you are looking for (price range = your budget - bike extras)

Just about any of the major bike brands out there (Trek, Giant, Bianchi, Cannondale, etc) are going to be suitable for you. Personally, I'd suggest an aluminum bike in the $1500 price range. It should give you a good enough bike to accomplish what you want. You also have a bit more of a leeway with how much damage your bike can take. A metal frame usually is more forgiving when you add on extra items (say fenders if you want them) as well as take a crash/fall/bike drop better. It won't ride as nice, but I think it generally will be more durable.

I'd also reccomend staying in that lower price range for bikes so that you can really learn what you do and don't like. A couple years from now, sell the bike and buy a new fancy bike that rides exactly like you know you need.
Old 05-28-12, 09:20 PM
Savagewolf
KingoftheMountain wannabe

Bikes: V.O. Pass Hunter & Specialized Hardrock

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That all being said, I'll suggest a Trek 2.1 with Shimano 105 components and a $1429 MSRP price.
Old 05-28-12, 09:36 PM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Eclectus
Cyclocross bikes are cool, if you aren't upset being passed.
Really?

I passed a group of about 20 riders on my CX on a steep hill, I cleared it really fast, & went back down for round 2?
(3.5 kms @ 1st 1km was 12.5 %, & the last 2.5 kms 18.3 % grade) Not too challenging, but a good sized hill @ the end of my route.
They all thought I was crazy, as I wasn't breathing hard/labouring @ all. I past a few of the other slower riders(1/3rd of them) on round 2 too.
The guy in the lead was decked out in a Full Garmin Barracuda team kit, but was riding a Trek.
He's the reason why I had to kill them, he turned his nose up cause I was on a CX & I passed them just before the assent.
We all met @ a traffic light, & that was the last time I saw them before I went back down, I was @ the top waiting for a few mins before I went back down.
The leader was easily behind me by 1.5mins or more. I wasn't even fresh, this was near the end about 55 kms into a 65kms ride.
I did this all in my large ring too.(Compact 50T)
(I know bad for cadence, but I like to push the limits. I'm using a standard 53T on my big ring for my road build)
This is a common theme for me while I build my road bike.
It's not the bike... It's the rider...
Old 05-28-12, 10:30 PM
Dallas Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider
Hey there Dallas!

I will recommend the following:

1) The Giant Defy Advanced 0 ~ $4550
www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/defy.advanced/9012/48847/

2) The Cannondale Supersix 3 ~ $3550
www.cannondale.com/2012/bikes/road/elite-road/supersix-3-ultegra-25362

3) The Giant TCR Composite ~ $2400
www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/tcr.composite/9007/48850/

4) The Trek Madone 4.7 ~ $3150
www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/race_performance/madone_4_series/madone_4_7

5) The Jamis Xenith Race ~ $2800
www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/road/xenith/12_xenithrace.html

6) The Masi Evoluzione ~ $2300
www.masibikes.com/bikes/carbon/evoluzione-ultegra-2012

7) The Jamis Eclipse ~ $3400
www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/road/eclipse/12_eclipse.html

8) The Jamis Quest ~ $1800
www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/road/quest/12_quest.html

* They're all very light and quite excellent race worthy bikes. However, only one of them will most probably last a lifetime.

Can you guess which one?

Ok slim rider, i cant guess, so lay it on me! which one will last a lifetime? also , i should have told you that the max im looking to spend is 2500. Can you maybe recalibrate your list for me now? I am appreciating all your input.
Old 05-28-12, 11:21 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas Cyclist
Ok slim rider, i cant guess, so lay it on me! which one will last a lifetime? also , i should have told you that the max im looking to spend is 2500. Can you maybe recalibrate your list for me now? I am appreciating all your input.
I added the Jamis Quest to the list at the very last second. Therefore, there are actually two models that can potentially last you a lifetime. They are both Jamis bicycles. They are the Eclipse and the Quest! Since they are both made of chromoly steel, if kept dry, they could possibly last for many decades!

In modifying my recommendations according to your budgetary notification we have the following:

The Giant TCR Composite ~ $2400
www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/tcr.composite/9007/48839/

The Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5 ~ $2450
www.cannondale.com/2012/bikes/road/performance-road/synapse-hi-mod/2012-synapse-carbon-5-105-21078

The Trek 4.5 Madone ~ $2300
www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/sport/madone_4_series/madone_4_5/

The Raleigh Revenio 2.0 ~ $2300
www.raleighusa.com/bikes/road/revenio-2-0-12/

The Jamis Xenith Comp ~ $1975
www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/road/xenith/12_xenithcomp.html

The Jamis Quest ~ $1800
www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/road/quest/12_quest.html

* Sometimes carbon fiber is not that forgiving when brushed against hard and abrasive objects. However, it's the best frame material for racing and competitive sports involving both speed and agility. It's particularly good on ascents with the proper drivetrain. If you'd like to save money on a less sensitive training bike, you should buy an aluminum framed road bike, with similar componentry. You'd save about $1000...

OTOH, if you wanna really go with the feel of carbon right away, just use my recommendations at your current price point.

IMO, if you're not going to go with steel, you might as well go with carbon!

Whatever you do, just ride your bike and have a bunch of fun!

Good Luck!

Last edited by SlimRider; 05-29-12 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-29-12, 01:43 AM
a1penguin

Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
The Trek 4.5 only comes in H2 geometry, which is more aggressive than the H3. I test rode a Trek H3, Felt Z, Cannondale Synapse. Competitors that I didn't ride: Giant Defy Advanced, Specialized Roubaix (hate the look of Zertz inserts and price gouging), Cervelo RS. I ended up buying the Synapse. I think all of the bikes in this price range will be very similar in components. I'm guessing that for $2500 you can get carbon + 105 or aluminum + Ultegra. You won't find and Jamis carbon bikes. $2500 is a lot of money. Take your time, keep reading and take lots of test rides.
Old 05-29-12, 02:06 AM
ivan_yulaev

Bikes: See sig.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You could do titanium for that price. BD Century or Habanero road frames, you could definitely get something with 105 or Ultegra for around $2K.

Also, from November, I bet you can get carbon with 5700 and bad-ass wheels for under $2500 easy.
Old 05-29-12, 05:35 AM
eddiepliers 

Bikes: 2011 Scott Addict R3 and Redline Conquest with Campy Veloce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Scott bikes! I really like my Addict over a bunch of other racy bike like the Specialized Tarmac and others. But these are different from what you want. Check out the Scott CR1. I know a lot of people on the forums like CR1's and I think they're a better value over other brands (and lighter too.)
Old 05-29-12, 05:46 AM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think we're confusing the guy even more.

I would look at a Giant Defy. Most of the bikes mentioned will last a lifetime if properly taken care of - well barring a wreck which any bike could be susceptible to.
Old 05-29-12, 06:00 AM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Another somewhat oddball solution for you - Topolino wheels. They are a very unique wheel in that the spokes are made of carbon/kevlar and the spokes go from one side of the rim, through the hub, and to the other side of the rim. I owned a set for quite and while and their ride is completely like nothing else out there in terms of comfort. They take the harshness out of the worst roads out there. You could put these on the harshest aluminum frame and pound out miles on rough chipseal no problem. Case in point:

Old 05-29-12, 07:01 AM
Drag
Cardiac Case

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale, Litespeed, Lynskey

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Stretch your budget just a little bit and get this current promo for a bike that will last you a lifetime:

https://www.lynskeyperformance.com/st...himano105.html
Old 05-29-12, 07:20 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drag
Stretch your budget just a little bit and get this current promo for a bike that will last you a lifetime:

https://www.lynskeyperformance.com/st...himano105.html
+1 ^ This is the best deal near your current price point!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.