Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Riding spd sl pedal with regular shoes/flip flops

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-12, 08:26 AM
JustinNY

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have one bike and that's not going to change for a while. 95% of the time I'm in a jersey, bibs spd shoes, etc.

But occasionally I just want to ride a couple miles to friends/family house and be dressed in normal clothes.

The spd pedals seem to have a big enough surface to ride somewhat comfortably for a few miles with regular shoes or sandals. Anyone actually do this?
Old 05-28-12, 08:44 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I use SPD pedals on my road bike and use Decksters that clip into the pedal to convert them to platform pedals. Several of the guys in my Saturday riding club have made their own similar version of the Decksters from pieces of aluminum or plywood with non-skid material on the top side to work with their particular pedals. You will need to have an extra pair of cleats so you don't have to take them off your shoes each time. An old, worn out pair will do if you happen to have a set lying around. You'll need to be careful not to twist your foot on the platform if your pedals don't have tensioning screws or they will unclip from the pedal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Decksters 1.jpg (71.6 KB, 66 views)
Decksters 2.jpg (63.9 KB, 56 views)
Decksters 3.jpg (82.1 KB, 55 views)

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-28-12, 08:45 AM
Ooompa Loompa
Powered by pie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode 2 miles of mostly down hill in my regular tennis shoes on my Shimano M520 pedals a week and a half ago. Even though it was such a short distance and it was mostly downhill it sucked. I'd look into getting something like this for riding in regular shoes https://www.amazon.com/Exustar-Compat.../dp/B004MLDID4

Edit: John V beat me to it.

Last edited by Ooompa Loompa; 05-28-12 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-28-12, 08:46 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
spd sandals are pretty cool...
Old 05-28-12, 08:56 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Ooompa Loompa
I rode 2 miles of mostly down hill in my regular tennis shoes on my Shimano M520 pedals a week and a half ago. Even though it was such a short distance and it was mostly downhill it sucked. I'd look into getting something like this for riding in regular shoes https://www.amazon.com/Exustar-Compat.../dp/B004MLDID4

Edit: John V beat me to it.
Shimano also makes a similar product and I bought a set before buying the Decksters. They work really well, but if you use them often, the material they are made of wears down really fast and it becomes difficult to keep them locked in the pedal. I use the Decksters a lot because my Saturday rides are usually in the city with very heavy traffic and a lot of stops. I just don't feel like spending my time unclipping more than riding.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-28-12, 01:14 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ridden 30+ miles on SPD-SL pedals while wearing regular running shoes. It's not a problem. Just don't bunny hop unless you are good at MTB style bunny hopping (not just pulling up on clipped in pedals).
Old 05-28-12, 01:35 PM
sqroot3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
back when i used spd sl pedals i used to bike all the time in my sandals and running shoes to and from camp. now i use spd and it's a lot harder to bike without clipless cleats and shoes!
Old 05-28-12, 01:42 PM
vermilionx

Bikes: '11 Fuji SL1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do every now and then.

I don't have huge feet though.
Old 05-28-12, 02:20 PM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by milkbaby
I've ridden 30+ miles on SPD-SL pedals while wearing regular running shoes. It's not a problem. Just don't bunny hop unless you are good at MTB style bunny hopping (not just pulling up on clipped in pedals).

Same. It's really not my preference, but I do for about 50% of my short commutes. I can still bunny hop with just shoes on, but I avoid it, because it's too easy for my feet to slip off. As far as riding with dress shoes, I'd be careful. A lot of good quality dress shoes don't have rubber soles and are so slick that I would prefer just to bring a another pair of shoes along.

Also, if you are going to riding in a suit, be aware that you risk destroying it. Just the friction from spinning along is enough to make the legs of your slacks threadbare in short order, not to mention any crash, fall, rub with the chain/rings, or puddle splash an suit is ruined. Since most suits are ~$400 and up new, I stopped riding in them all together. If I want to take my bike somewhere where I plan to wear formal attire, I carefully pack it into a backpack or don't take a bike.
Old 05-28-12, 02:23 PM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Cant believe this thread hasnt been referenced...

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ding-a-Cervelo
Old 05-28-12, 02:32 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The OP said SPD-SL, not SPD. This:

Not this:

And yes, I do it all the time: running to the store, easy riding around the park with the kids, or even commuting when I am feeling too lazy to change my shoes. I wouldn't recommend it with leather soles, flip-flops, or in the rain. But with decent rubber soled shoes for a mellow and dry ride, it's no problem.
Old 05-28-12, 02:33 PM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso

Not this:

And yes, I do it all the time: running to the store, easy riding around the park with the kids, or even commuting when I am feeling too lazy to change my shoes. I wouldn't recommend it with leather soles, flip-flops, or in the rain. But with decent rubber soled shoes for a mellow and dry ride, it's no problem.
In the title yes, but in the post he says SPD.
Originally Posted by JustinNY
I have one bike and that's not going to change for a while. 95% of the time I'm in a jersey, bibs spd shoes, etc.

But occasionally I just want to ride a couple miles to friends/family house and be dressed in normal clothes.

The spd pedals seem to have a big enough surface to ride somewhat comfortably for a few miles with regular shoes or sandals. Anyone actually do this?

I used these as a noob, & still use these on most of my rides.
They work great for my normal shoes, & flip flops.

Shimano PD‑A530 Road Pedal

https://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cyclin...road-pedal.jsp

I also have Look KeO's for most recent bike build, there's no way I'm wearing flip flop on these.
There's no grip if you use the flip side, & you'll slip off in no time.

Last edited by Ghost Ryder; 05-28-12 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-28-12, 03:48 PM
JustinNY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso

Not this:

Thanks for clearing that up. I have spd-sl pedals and shoes. I'm honestly shocked that theres no commercially available platform adapter. I may actually try and make some. I the meantime, I'll try riding around the block with regular shoes and see how it feels.
Old 05-28-12, 03:56 PM
fishymamba

Bikes: CAAD9-6, 13' Dawes Haymaker 1500

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I do it all the time with my SPD-SLs, it doesn't damage the pedal, and if you go slow your foot doesn't slip off.
Old 05-28-12, 04:10 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
never had a problem doing it but it feels like riding on platforms with the saddle too high.
Old 05-29-12, 06:52 PM
moppeddler

Bikes: Trek 1.5, Scwinn Sporterra comp, Cannondale Synapse carbon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A buddy showed up for our 40mile weekend ride last Saturday with tennis shoes and those same pedals. It was his first time out this year and couldn't find his shoes. Oh, and he had no water bottle either. Luckily, one of the guys carries 2 and gave one up. To his credit, he did the whole ride. He was a little slow, But I would have went back to bed. We ride at 6 so bed's pretty appealing.
Old 05-29-12, 08:43 PM
gladiator13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do it for short flat rides. As long as there aren't big hills or I don't have to go in a big hurry it works fine.
Old 05-29-12, 09:49 PM
fstshrk

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Short rides with Look Keo pedals and tennis shoes work fine for me. It is invigorating to jump on a bike with street clothes and just ride. Reminds of being a kid again.
Old 05-29-12, 09:53 PM
ILUVUK
en fuego

Bikes: Trek Madone 3.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes, I do it.
Old 05-29-12, 10:23 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 2,236 Times in 1,502 Posts
My wife and I go away every weekend with just one car. I often ride my weekend bike with regular shoes/flip flops to go to the store. After a few rides, I don't even notice they are spd's.
Old 05-30-12, 07:51 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I ride SPD-SL's in sandals or sneakers a few times a week -- running errands, accompanying my daughters to school on their bikes, or whatever. I wouldn't want to do a century that way, but haven't had any problems at all up to 10 miles or so.
Old 05-30-12, 09:25 AM
JTGraphics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
I use SPD pedals on my road bike and use Decksters that clip into the pedal to convert them to platform pedals. Several of the guys in my Saturday riding club have made their own similar version of the Decksters from pieces of aluminum or plywood with non-skid material on the top side to work with their particular pedals. You will need to have an extra pair of cleats so you don't have to take them off your shoes each time. An old, worn out pair will do if you happen to have a set lying around. You'll need to be careful not to twist your foot on the platform if your pedals don't have tensioning screws or they will unclip from the pedal.
I made something like these for Speedplay pedals
What I did for the kids on my tandem I wanted their feet to stay on the pedals I have speed plays on it, I picked up some universal toe clips with straps I tool some J-B Stik Steel-Reinforced Repair Putty Epoxy molded it into the bottom of them and made them flat. I then took some speed play cleats and drilled holes to mount them onto the toe clips when I need them I just snap them on the pedals put the kids feet in the straps and I'm good to go.
Old 05-30-12, 11:25 AM
dissident

Bikes: Felt Z85

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't, but use SPD so I can one... mindlessly clip into the double sided pedals without having to think... two... walk in the shoes as the clips are recessed. I hiked 2ish miles in the last weekend actually when I forgot my hiking shoes. No problemo. The pedals don't seem to hurt performance, or that is to say, they are the one thing I have never 'noticed' while biking, so I'll keep em until I find something better that's not SPD-SL for it's one sided pedals with non-walkable shoes.
Old 05-30-12, 12:01 PM
Elad63

Bikes: Too many to count. Changes on a frequent basis.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes I do it myself all the time
Old 05-30-12, 12:02 PM
bitingduck

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sure. I've even done it with eggbeaters, though that's a bit suboptimal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.