Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I might be movin' to Montana soon

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

I might be movin' to Montana soon

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-12, 10:40 AM
oldskoolwrench
自転車整備士

Bikes: '86 Moots Mountaineer, '94 Salsa Ala Carte, '94 S-Works FSR, 1983 Trek 600 & 620

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I thought it was dental floss tycoon, but I'm not a big Zappa fan
Actually, at one point it was "Gonna be a mental toss flycoon..."

Remember... the poodle bites, the poodle chooses...
Old 05-31-12, 10:44 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I'm overjoyed to find so many other Zappa fans here, even if you guys beat me to all the good Zappa quotes.
Old 05-31-12, 10:46 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Here's another version for your viewing pleasure.
Old 05-31-12, 11:19 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Zappa quotations remind me to go get another PSA test.
Old 05-31-12, 07:20 PM
hoodoo40

Bikes: 2007 Novaro Randonee & 1984 Specialize Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just moved back to Billings after 7 years. I used to ride year round as long as there wasn't ice or snow on the road. I was always nervous about the cars sliding around. I would usually ride down to 20 degrees F. Billings is in the banana belt of Montana. Sometimes its 20 degrees warmer then elsewhere in the State. (yeah, so much warmer when it's only -20 degrees vs. -40 degrees). I believe Great Falls may stay colder then Billings.

I've been back in Billings 4 months now and it's been an unusual wet May. It's been up to 80 degrees earlier this month and last Saturday it was 32 and had snow on the ground. I've been wimpy and not out riding in the rain. Suppose to be getting to the more normal temps now, mid 40s at night and 70s during the day. It does get in the 90s during the summer. A dry heat (still hot, just dry), much better then the humidity back in DC. In the winters we do get Chinook winds that will melt/dry up the snow so we end up with no snow for periods during the winter. You can always check out the Icebike website (https://www.icebike.org/) for biking in the winter.

Montana's a great place to live.

Good Luck, John
Old 06-01-12, 09:29 PM
Commuter_Dan
DanG

Bikes: Specialized Hard Rock, Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This has got to be the most awesome (if unexpected) thread I've seen in a while.

Winters in Montana sound cold. I'd watch out for any dog-doo snowcones.
Old 06-01-12, 10:41 PM
mechanicalron

Bikes: Surly LHT, 94 Cannondale track bike, 80's Cannondale track bike, 60's Raleigh 5 speed, 1888 Eldridge wood wheel track bike and my old 76 DG BMX from when I was a kid.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Commuter_Dan
This has got to be the most awesome (if unexpected) thread I've seen in a while.

Or yellow snow, just to keep it all Zappa like
Old 06-02-12, 05:49 PM
jimcross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I lived in Great Falls from 1987 to 1996. I hope you don't mind wind! They say Chicago is the windy city... I think Great Falls would give it a run for it's money. Don't get me wrong. I loved Great Falls and if it were an easier place to make a living I'd have never left. I wasn't cycling back then I was too busy being a pack a day smoker to do something healthy like cycling. I wish I had been cycling then though. Lots of touring opportunities available up there.

+1 on the pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers will be essential.
Old 06-03-12, 01:31 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Originally Posted by Commuter_Dan

Originally Posted by mechanicalron
Or yellow snow, just to keep it all Zappa like
And keep that path to St. Alphonsos clear.
We vacationed in Montana the year before the big fire at Yellowstone, and I was dismayed to find none of the stores in the airport carried zircon encrusted tweezers. I did get to ride a pygmy pony that trip, and that made up for some of the disappointment.

Last edited by no motor?; 06-03-12 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-03-12, 11:21 PM
Darryl Montana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hoodoo40
I just moved back to Billings after 7 years. I used to ride year round as long as there wasn't ice or snow on the road. I was always nervous about the cars sliding around. I would usually ride down to 20 degrees F. Billings is in the banana belt of Montana. Sometimes its 20 degrees warmer then elsewhere in the State. (yeah, so much warmer when it's only -20 degrees vs. -40 degrees). I believe Great Falls may stay colder then Billings.

I've been back in Billings 4 months now and it's been an unusual wet May. It's been up to 80 degrees earlier this month and last Saturday it was 32 and had snow on the ground. I've been wimpy and not out riding in the rain. Suppose to be getting to the more normal temps now, mid 40s at night and 70s during the day. It does get in the 90s during the summer. A dry heat (still hot, just dry), much better then the humidity back in DC. In the winters we do get Chinook winds that will melt/dry up the snow so we end up with no snow for periods during the winter. You can always check out the Icebike website (https://www.icebike.org/) for biking in the winter.

Montana's a great place to live.

Good Luck, John
Welcome back to Billings! Looks like we will hit one of those 90 degree days tomorrow, probably about the time I'm riding home from work.

Might see you on the road someday!