Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Bike selection question

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-12, 03:28 PM
Leo001

Bikes: Lightspeed Classic. Specialized Sectur. Specialized Langster. Salsa Beargrease Bianchi Camolante Serotta Colorado Trek Lane

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Bike selection question

Hi Guys
I'm thinking about a new bike, let me explain why and what I am currently riding. My primaty ride is an older Cannondale H300 hybrid, I also have a Cannondale T700 touring (bought last year, just cant get acclimated to it) but in any event, I currently ride aprox. 30 miles, three times a week, sometimes its a pretty flat loop, other times it a very hilly ride. When I and decending steep grades, I worry about brake failure (momentem is a *****) I really like the disc brakes on my mountain bike (also Cannondale) I want to expand my scope a little and start riding further. I have been looking at the Salsa Vaya 3 to meet my needs, I like the disc brakes, I dont think the steel frame will be an issue, any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 06-12-12, 03:36 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Are you specifically looking for another touring bike or do you want more of a regular road bike? Is this to augment or replace your T700? If you can't acclimate to it, what's the reason? Fit? Size? Layout?
Old 06-12-12, 07:29 PM
Leo001

Bikes: Lightspeed Classic. Specialized Sectur. Specialized Langster. Salsa Beargrease Bianchi Camolante Serotta Colorado Trek Lane

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not sure why the T700 dosnt feel quite right, I have replaced the stem with an adjustable one to raise the bars up some, maybe i'm just used to the hybrid, im not sure a dedicated road bike is the right choice (although 95% of my rides are on pavement) i worried the riding position is too aggressive and wont be compfortable. I wish i could rent different bikes, ride one of my usual loops and get a better feel for the bike, i would hate to buy somthing i end up not riding. I recently saw a Trek Lane (cyclocross bike) for sale locally at what seems like a good price, i thought cyclocross might be a good choice as i can run a wider tire (32C) to support my weight (currently 270) altthough I hace 28cs on the T700 and they seem ok.
Old 06-12-12, 07:56 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I highly recommend renting a bike... find a shop that does demo rides near you. Some of them near me do that, and typically it's $50 a day or so, which they will happily apply to your purchase price.

Another option is to find a shop that will fit you to your existing bike or tell you why they can't - I don't think there's much point in buying a new bike that's similar to a bike you don't like if you can't identify what you should improve to fix your situation.
Old 06-12-12, 10:20 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I highly recommend renting a bike... find a shop that does demo rides near you. Some of them near me do that, and typically it's $50 a day or so, which they will happily apply to your purchase price.

Another option is to find a shop that will fit you to your existing bike or tell you why they can't - I don't think there's much point in buying a new bike that's similar to a bike you don't like if you can't identify what you should improve to fix your situation.
Great advice