Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Velo Orange??

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-12, 08:13 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Velo Orange??

I have just come across this company/website and the items look pretty nice.
Are they considered a higher end product?
Old 06-22-12, 08:34 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Liked 3,098 Times in 1,580 Posts
Yes. I have not bought any of their branded items like cranks and other items but lots of the people in the C&V forums use and love them. They try and copy the flavor of the greats like Herse and others and produce not only top quality products but also products with lots of style and panache'

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 06-22-12, 09:01 AM
rebel1916

Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts
My grandpa LOVES them.
Old 06-22-12, 09:28 AM
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-681468.html
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...og/I8GpEyrfR-M
Old 06-22-12, 09:32 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
they also have Taiwan import sources , pretty much how its done , in the US anymore ..

US manufactured parts cost more than many, I read on this forum, are willing to pay.

i recognize parts they order in polished finish other brands get in black or some other finish.

I see some of their stuff in other distributor's catalogs .. retail same cost, so must be co shipped from Taipei
to the distribution warehouses of other companies.

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-23-15 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-22-12, 09:47 AM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've ordered from VO a few times. The only time I wasn't happy was with items that weren't right for me. The quality of items was fine. The service and shipping was fine. The prices seemed reasonable.

I just got a new package in yesterday: city bars and inverse brake levers for my single-speed.
Old 06-22-12, 11:32 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got the long setback seatpost for my Brooks, and I felt it was a poor quality. The bolts or nuts (not sure what to call them) distorted when I tightened it down a little too much while adjusting the angle on the seat. They sent me new parts, but I had decided I didn't like the seat by then, so I sold the seatpost with the new parts.
Old 06-22-12, 11:34 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
I buy a fair bit from them. They are the main supplier of vintage appearing parts that look period correct on an older bike. Everything I have ever purchased from them has been a good value to me.

Were you looking at something in particular or just the entire line? One caveat, if you see something you think you want, you had better buy it because it may not come back.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 06-22-12, 01:58 PM
ben4345
Kitten Legion Master

Bikes: Fuji silhouette, Dawes SST-aL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Velo Orange is good stuff, I approve.
Old 06-22-12, 02:20 PM
Savagewolf
KingoftheMountain wannabe

Bikes: V.O. Pass Hunter & Specialized Hardrock

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I haven't dealt with them yet, but with my new project I plan on spending a good chuck on money on products there.
Old 06-22-12, 07:50 PM
steve0257

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I've used them off and on for the last two years and have been happy with the stuff I bought. Not the place to go if you are looking for high performance race oriented components. More towards city bikes and randonneuring.
Old 06-23-12, 03:10 AM
CrazyLemurBoy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used them in the past with success, but some of the stuff is plain junk. The double leg kickstand comes to mind. Worst $30 I ever spent.
Old 06-23-12, 10:06 AM
Hairy Hands

Bikes: Colnago C50, Specialized TriCross Carbon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not a high end place by any means. Most is for entry level rando bikes or the very cost conscious. I still believe you get what you pay for!
Old 06-24-12, 12:29 AM
Thor29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I built a bike for a friend using a lot of their components. They seemed fairly decent quality with one exception: the crankset. The chainline was way off with the suggested bottom bracket and I had to go with a really narrow width to get the front derailleur to work properly. Not cool. On the other hand, the polish sure is nice to look at.
Old 06-24-12, 12:46 AM
lbear
just going for a ride...

Bikes: LeMond Sarthe, OCR A1, OCR 2, Cypress DX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also got a long setback seatpost for my Brooks from them. I think it works great Two screws allow micro adjustments. Finish seemed nice. All their products have a "Look". Not the lightest stuff.
Old 11-22-15, 11:16 AM
cicliste666

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
I have just come across this company/website and the items look pretty nice.
Are they considered a higher end product?

I think they were a high end product some years ago but the quality seems to have really slipped. Their frames used to be handmade by American builders whereas now they are just mass-produced in Taiwan. They seem exactly like the Kogswells of yore. Even their racks are now mass produced: I bought a very early "Porteur" rack from them many years ago, which was handbuilt in the USA and was quite solid although I needed to have some reinforcements welded in. I recently purchased another and it is made in Taiwan and pretty darn flimsy. Definitely more show than go.
Old 11-22-15, 03:12 PM
GravelMN

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was having problems going through Shimano UN54/55 bottom brackets more rapidly than I thought I should. Not that they were completely unusable, just grinding some and developing a bit of play. I bought a square taper bracket from VO and it is still smooth as silk after several thousand miles. Smoother right from the get go and feels as good today as the day it was installed, maybe better. Cost about 3x as much but well worth it IMHO. My newer road bike has a more modern 105 10sp double, so the older square taper DuraAce (yep, its that old) doesn't see that much use any more. Sad, it's still a great bike.

Last edited by GravelMN; 11-22-15 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-22-15, 03:53 PM
cicliste666

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hairy Hands
Not a high end place by any means. Most is for entry level rando bikes or the very cost conscious. I still believe you get what you pay for!

I also don't like/trust the bike stores that do the Rivendell/Velo Orange thing of basically trying to set up a mythology instead of just selling bike stuff. All that French crap, with the Nouveau Beaujolais thing on their blog, calling their (cheapo) components "Grand Cru" and the breathless descriptions of things, really turns me off. It just seems so affected. And directly leads to disappointment when the article purchased has none of that magical fairy dust but is rather just a made-in-Taiwan part much like any other.

Last edited by cicliste666; 11-22-15 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-22-15, 04:50 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Liked 5,922 Times in 2,986 Posts
Did you reopen this three and a half year old necro- thread because your rant got moved to the Mfg feedback forum? You are persistent!
Old 11-23-15, 08:50 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Liked 326 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by chandltp
I got the long setback seatpost for my Brooks, and I felt it was a poor quality. The bolts or nuts (not sure what to call them) distorted when I tightened it down a little too much while adjusting the angle on the seat. They sent me new parts, but I had decided I didn't like the seat by then, so I sold the seatpost with the new parts.
Good move, the Grand Cru Long Setback seatpost is under-engineered.

It took me 3415 miles to break the first bolt and finish my ride seat-less, starting at 185 pounds for the first mile and finishing at 154 on the last:

I replaced the stock metric 10.9 bolts with 12.9 having 20% higher yield strength.

It took 1693 miles to break the front bolt again, although my weight decreased over that period from 154 to 140 pounds.

I gave up at that point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
no_seat.jpg (97.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg
broken_bolt.jpg (99.2 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 11-23-15 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-23-15, 07:52 PM
GeoKrpan
George Krpan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cicliste666
I think they were a high end product some years ago but the quality seems to have really slipped. Their frames used to be handmade by American builders whereas now they are just mass-produced in Taiwan. They seem exactly like the Kogswells of yore. Even their racks are now mass produced: I bought a very early "Porteur" rack from them many years ago, which was handbuilt in the USA and was quite solid although I needed to have some reinforcements welded in. I recently purchased another and it is made in Taiwan and pretty darn flimsy. Definitely more show than go.
I just bought a Piolet frameset and the quality of the construction and the paint is outstanding.

Old 11-23-15, 07:59 PM
GeoKrpan
George Krpan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I also don't like/trust the bike stores that do the Rivendell/Velo Orange thing of basically trying to set up a mythology instead of just selling bike stuff. All that French crap, with the Nouveau Beaujolais thing on their blog, calling their (cheapo) components "Grand Cru" and the breathless descriptions of things, really turns me off. It just seems so affected. And directly leads to disappointment when the article purchased has none of that magical fairy dust but is rather just a made-in-Taiwan part much like any other.
Affectated. I hear ya but they are the poor man's Rivendale. I love my Piolet but I didn't build it with any VO components.
Old 11-23-15, 08:28 PM
njkayaker

Liked 1,452 Times in 1,009 Posts
I also don't like/trust the bike stores that do the Rivendell/Velo Orange thing of basically trying to set up a mythology instead of just selling bike stuff.
Companies, like Trek, set up mythologies too. Few companies "just sell bicycle stuff".
Old 11-23-15, 10:32 PM
GeoKrpan
George Krpan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Companies, like Trek, set up mythologies too. Few companies "just sell bicycle stuff".
Specialized is the worst.
Old 11-24-15, 04:57 AM
njkayaker

Liked 1,452 Times in 1,009 Posts
Originally Posted by GeoKrpan
Specialized is the worst.
Specialized didn't hire Lance. (I was only using Trek as an example.)

The bigger companies are also adopting the mytholgies (like "gravel grinding") that these other companies focused more on (instead of the common industry standard "racing" one).

Companies like Rivendell, Velo Orange, and Compass sell stuff geared towards a small market that the bigger companies won't touch. That's a good thing. The things they sell need to be good quality.

Originally Posted by GeoKrpan
Affectated.
"Affected" is correct (both can be used).

Last edited by njkayaker; 11-24-15 at 05:15 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.