Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dura Ace Upgrade?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Dura Ace Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-12, 03:05 PM
kdub212

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dura Ace Upgrade?

I'm looking for some imput on this one. I have a Scott Addict with front and back Ultegra, my bike shop suggested I add a Dura Ace derailleur to the rear. Will I really see that much improvement in bike performance just by adding a Dura Ace rear derailleur and keeping Ultegra up front, or am I just wasting money?
Old 07-06-12, 03:15 PM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, you will not notice any improvement with a Dura-Ace rear derailleur over a a new Ultegra one. That is ridiculous. Find a new, honest bike shop.
Old 07-06-12, 03:18 PM
UCIMBZ
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The general answer to any upgrade is always a yes. But you need to keep at it.
Old 07-06-12, 03:19 PM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Just wasting money.
Old 07-06-12, 03:19 PM
Jed19

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Yep, that is a ridiculous proposition from your bike shop. Are they by chance gonna sell you the Dura-Ace RD?
Old 07-06-12, 03:26 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Do it if it's a steal, ie. the LBS has an extra RD laying around from someone else's upgrade. But like the others have said, you'll hardly notice any improvement, other than a bit of the bling factor.
Old 07-06-12, 03:56 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You can make a DA derailleur shift worse than Tourney if you adjust it badly. Like mpath said, go ahead and do it if it's real cheap, but otherwise, find a different shop.

I have 7800 shifters and 6600 derailleurs, and although it's nice, it's not worlds better than the all-105 setup I had on an earlier bike (dare I say, it's hard to tell any difference at all).
Old 07-06-12, 04:01 PM
NWS Alpine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rear mech is the one thing that really doesn't change much at each group level. You are only paying for weight decrease and sometimes ceramic bearings that are "better".
Old 07-06-12, 04:01 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Wasting money. There will be zero improvement in performance. You will save a few grams of weight on the bike and in your wallet.

The only way to noticeably improve your shifting once you have everything properly adjusted is to switch to electronic shifting. That is insanely good.
Old 07-06-12, 04:54 PM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is your old one giving u issues?
Old 07-06-12, 04:55 PM
jmio

Bikes: raleigh carbon competition, trek 6500 hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first bike was an aluminum bike with full dura ace, I upgraded to a full carbon bike with 105, I thought to myself, oh man I'm gonna have to spend another 1800 for dura ace to make it as good as my bike. 3 weeks later and 800 miles the only difference is a few grams. They r so close in performance it's not funny
Old 07-06-12, 04:56 PM
jmio

Bikes: raleigh carbon competition, trek 6500 hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Meaning my 105 will stay till it dies, the. I will upgrade to dura ace
Old 07-06-12, 05:17 PM
NWS Alpine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jmio
Meaning my 105 will stay till it dies, the. I will upgrade to dura ace
As of 105 5700 the only difference is weight. There are some parts stiffer than others but 90% you won't notice a difference. It's all good stuff.
Old 07-06-12, 05:22 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
FWIW, I had a CX bike that was cobbled together with a mishmash of Shimano groups: DA shifters, Ultegra BB and hubs, 105 RD, and a RSX (!) FD. Worked like a charm.

Save your money: you'll just be saving a few grams, mostly from your wallet.
Old 07-06-12, 05:55 PM
Nuggetross

Bikes: De Rosa Planet, Shogun Kaze, Jamis Sputnik, Redline 925

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so much bike shop hate. there could be a few reasons that a rear derailleur would help in shifting performance. most notably, the springs will be stronger on the da rd. why is that important? isn't ultegra just fine?

i'll give you an example of a bike that refuses to shift well out of the box with ultegra: a specialized venge. i'm not sure how the cabling is setup with an addict, but the ultegra rd springs are not strong enough to get perfectly smooth shifting. don't take for granted that everything will just work perfectly out of the box with whatever parts bike companies choose to put on them.

specialized is aware of the issue and refers people to buy alternative oem parts from shimano. since every good bike mechanic will notice this problem, all of the springs are currently sold out.

again, while the op didn't say exactly why the rd was recommended, we don't currently know. but don't just think that a bike shop is trying to gauge you. if you actually have a mechanic who knows wtf is going on, they will be a giant help.
Old 07-06-12, 06:04 PM
thechemist
In the Pain Cave

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nuggetross
so much bike shop hate. there could be a few reasons that a rear derailleur would help in shifting performance. most notably, the springs will be stronger on the da rd. why is that important? isn't ultegra just fine?

i'll give you an example of a bike that refuses to shift well out of the box with ultegra: a specialized venge. i'm not sure how the cabling is setup with an addict, but the ultegra rd springs are not strong enough to get perfectly smooth shifting. don't take for granted that everything will just work perfectly out of the box with whatever parts bike companies choose to put on them.

specialized is aware of the issue and refers people to buy alternative oem parts from shimano. since every good bike mechanic will notice this problem, all of the springs are currently sold out.

again, while the op didn't say exactly why the rd was recommended, we don't currently know. but don't just think that a bike shop is trying to gauge you. if you actually have a mechanic who knows wtf is going on, they will be a giant help.

Incorrect, you will gain some durability and shave some weight anything else is trying to justify money wasted. Just keep the derailed adjusted as the cables loosen overtime.
Old 07-07-12, 08:52 PM
kdub212

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
humm, it sounds like skipping the upgrade (?) and using the money to save up for a new set of race wheels may be the better option. Thanks for the imput.
Old 07-07-12, 09:12 PM
ctimrun2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode Ultegra for about 5 years before buying a new bike with Dura Ace. I can't agree with those who say that the only difference is weight. Dura Ace shifts more quickly, smoothly, and solidly. Ultegra performs well, never had any issues, but Dura Ace is noticeably better, especially during climbs. I've never combined comps from different groups, so I can't speak to whether or not a rear derailleur will be better without a Dura Ace shifter, but I suppose it is possible. You should do what I did...and go to Ui2....AMAZING!
Old 07-07-12, 09:39 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by ctimrun2012
I rode Ultegra for about 5 years before buying a new bike with Dura Ace. I can't agree with those who say that the only difference is weight. Dura Ace shifts more quickly, smoothly, and solidly. Ultegra performs well, never had any issues, but Dura Ace is noticeably better, especially during climbs. I've never combined comps from different groups, so I can't speak to whether or not a rear derailleur will be better without a Dura Ace shifter, but I suppose it is possible. You should do what I did...and go to Ui2....AMAZING!
Rode Ultegra for 5 years, then bought a new bike with 5 years worth of R&D Dura Ace...think about that for a bit. (If I read that correctly, you bought a new bike with a 5 year newer Dura-Ace)?Have you compared a 5 year old Ultegra against another 5 year old Dura-Ace (meaning same year model designations)?
Old 07-07-12, 09:41 PM
qqy
▒▒▒▒▒▒

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a person who just went to a DA rear mech from a Tiagra mech, there is a big difference. Compared to my Ultegra mech, there is a slight but noticeable difference. It runs more quietly and shifts slightly more smoothly. I suspect it will last much longer too, thanks in big part to the ceramic bearings. The fit and finish on each bit of a DA part is superb, and it operates with noticeably less effort in the shifter. However, mechanically it is practically identical to anything 105 or better as long as it's configured correctly. Whether it's worth the $$ is up to your wallet.
Old 07-07-12, 09:53 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 2,240 Times in 1,503 Posts
7900 should be cheaper now with 9000 on the way. Ask your LBS what the price is and compare online. If you get a good price, I would do it
Old 07-08-12, 01:54 AM
alpha_bravo
Mr. Sparkle

Bikes: 08 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
7900 should be cheaper now with 9000 on the way. Ask your LBS what the price is and compare online. If you get a good price, I would do it
And there is the likely motivation for the LBS... Clear out the 7900 stock for new 11 speed 9000.

I'm with the others, learn to tune your derailleur yourself and there's no difference between Ultegra and Dura-Ace performance wise.
Old 07-08-12, 01:55 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel
Just wasting money.
Correct.

Unless you go all the way to Di2, then you're really wasting money, but Di2 is the shiznit. Ferraris are wasting money too, but the customers are all happy.
Old 07-08-12, 01:56 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by alpha_bravo
And there is the likely motivation for the LBS... Clear out the 7900 stock for new 11 speed 9000.

I'm with the others, learn to tune your derailleur yourself and there's no difference between Ultegra and Dura-Ace performance wise.
Correct.

Correcter. In fact I've had 7900 mechanical, Ultegra 6700 mechanical and Di2, among the mechanical groups Shimano offers, Ultegra shifts better. DA braking performance is marginally superior.
Old 07-08-12, 08:03 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 208 Posts
A few years ago, I was regularly riding DA, Ultegra and 105. DA was superior, with crisper, cleaner shifts. But I'm pretty sure an average cyclist wouldn't notice the difference. I did. But I'm super finicky.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.