Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Brands and Products You Wont Buy #thread

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Brands and Products You Wont Buy #thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-12, 07:47 PM
p2templin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a little surprised there's been little to no mention of Niterider: I've heard lots of tales of horrible support, and it leaves me in a position to debate whether to buy another light from them.
Old 07-09-12, 08:34 PM
M_Wales
Retired USAF, C-130 Guy

Bikes: Shopping

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM
I hate kittens; puppies are totally cool though.
Ya puppies have way more meat on them... Great over rice..

Sram, Nvidia graphic cards
Old 07-09-12, 08:49 PM
manutd
Treble Member

Bikes: '07 Cervelo P2C, '12 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert, 2011 Specialized TriCross Comp.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel
I think a lot of it has to do with how they try to push small companies around and sue them until they go out of business.
yeah, companies that have ripped off their designs.......
Old 07-09-12, 09:31 PM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by manutd
This design

Its a joke, people
Attached Images
Old 07-09-12, 09:43 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shimano wheels with nipples at the hub, and any other wheel that uses non-traditional nipples/spokes.
Old 07-09-12, 09:47 PM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by manutd
Not only that. It is also the way they've treated some of their own dealers in the past. I know two bike shop employees who told me how nasty the company can be in their relationship with their own vendors. Maybe it's business, but I have a right not to like that kind of business behavior. And since I can't beat up the owner(s), I vote with my dollars.
Old 07-09-12, 10:37 PM
Eclectus

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't want to trash companies. Mike Sinyard bought Gary Fisher/ Tom Ritchie bikes, and sent them to Japan for reverse engineering. I still like Specialized bikes. I have a Crux, for urban riding, I had to ditch the stock tires for puncture-resistant Schawlbe Duremes.

My first road bike was a '62 Italian handbuilt lugged steel with first-year Record. Today, I love my Cervelo RS with Red. I've taken it 15 k miles, it's a nice bike.

I used to wear gloves, but I hated the tanned-arm/white hand-back look, so I ditched the gloves.

I like a lot of saddles. Brooksie B17s are nice for my riding habits, arse-heavy for long distances.

For shorts, Assos FI Mille S5 and Gore Ozons are my favorites. Also DeMarchis higher-end shorts and tights. All of these have Assos-Cytech "Elastic Interface Technology" pads. It's good stuff for riding in the saddle for long distances.
Old 07-09-12, 10:58 PM
Germanicus
Delusional Laserbrain

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Tricross, 1993 Giant Iguana rebuild w/ singlespeed drive train

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider
Nothing from Specialized for me!
We get it already, you guys also hate Apple computer & Starbucks... Who would have guessed..
Old 07-10-12, 04:13 AM
type36
dropped at birth

Bikes: a few

Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
It's comforting to learn that the new bike I just bought, and all its' components, are junk.
Old 07-10-12, 07:03 AM
DaveWC

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Legal fighting and Fredly crap aside, there sure are a lot of winners riding Specialized & Trek in the TDF. Sure, these companies sponsor the teams so the use of their bikes does not mean the riders chose them. But if the bikes were crap surely we'd see an Italian made bike on the podium each day.
Old 07-10-12, 07:05 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
cheap ass lights. They are next to useless on a dark night.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 07-10-12, 07:06 AM
jesspal

Bikes: 2009 BMC SLX01/2016 Santa Cruz Bronson

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Nike or Adidas products of any type, especially bibs.
Old 07-10-12, 07:08 AM
GP

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by p2templin
I'm a little surprised there's been little to no mention of Niterider: I've heard lots of tales of horrible support, and it leaves me in a position to debate whether to buy another light from them.
One of my Niterider LED headlights died last year. I called them and sent it back. They sent me a new one. Took a week.
Old 07-10-12, 07:24 AM
manutd
Treble Member

Bikes: '07 Cervelo P2C, '12 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert, 2011 Specialized TriCross Comp.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by type36
It's comforting to learn that the new bike I just bought, and all its' components, are junk.

so true! Well, actually no one is saying that most of these 'hated' brands are crap....Trek, Specialized etc all make some of the best products money can buy but because they are too mainstream some of the hipsters refuse to like them. But thats ok, I get it.

I actually have passed on buying Trek in the past for this exact reason....just too common....specialized have a bit of a better feel in this area but they are super common as well. I also have a Cervelo but in triathlon you really can't go wrong with a Cervelo. I also dig the newest Trek speed concepts as well.

For most people buying a high end bike going with Trek, Cannondale or Specialized just makes sense like when spending money on a car Honda and Toyota also make sense. I see a tonne of BMWs and Mercedes around but that isn't stopping people from buying them!
Old 07-10-12, 08:33 AM
bikecrate

Liked 408 Times in 232 Posts
Bontrager wheels. I've had three sets that came with Trek/Lemond bikes I bought. They all cracked after several thousand miles. The same goes for all paired spoke wheels.

I recently test road a previous year Gary Fisher/Trek road bike that was on sale. It was Ultegra equipped and nice enough, but I got depressed looking at the color scheme and graphics.
Old 07-10-12, 08:42 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Done with Vittoria Diamante series tires. I destroyed 2 Pros and 2 Pro Lights in under 2,000 miles total due to severe cuts. The small consolation is that I didn't buy any of them, they were gifts from my dad for my bike and my wife's.

I like the Cross XG and will keep using it. And I liked the Rubino Pro, but I'll probably buy GP4000S instead because they're just as tough and perform a lot better. They cost a bit more, but are well worth it.
Old 07-10-12, 10:45 AM
WC89

Bikes: 2011 Trek 8.4 DS hybrid; 2012 Felt F-75 road bike; 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper MTB; 1992 Guerciotti road bike (inactive)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those hideous, gawdawful looking, high (up to the calf muscle) cycling socks!!

Last edited by WC89; 07-11-12 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-10-12, 10:59 AM
Worknomore

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Flying back from Seattle last week (I went there to cycle with my son, so cycling related) I was seated next to gentleman who apparently refuses buys any hygiene products.
Old 07-10-12, 11:13 AM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveWC
Legal fighting and Fredly crap aside, there sure are a lot of winners riding Specialized & Trek in the TDF. Sure, these companies sponsor the teams so the use of their bikes does not mean the riders chose them. But if the bikes were crap surely we'd see an Italian made bike on the podium each day.

Those winners are gonna still win if you gave them italian bikes to ride. I read somewhere where a pro said something along the line of "a good bike cannot win you races, but a lousy one can lose you races". And a sponsor (any at all) that's gonna put bikes under pros' a$$es in a grand tour is not gonna give them poor/junk bikes.
Old 07-10-12, 11:21 AM
Jfitalia

Bikes: Tarmac Apex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love how everyone hates specialized because they are a big company. I am assumming all the rest of you hippies hate Walmart as well correct?

Last edited by Jfitalia; 07-10-12 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-10-12, 11:47 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by p2templin
My experience with their customer support has been quite good. I have an HID light that should be about 8 years old now as well as a 10 year old trail rat and a universal tail light.

I've had to send my HID light back 3 times which drives me nuts because I don't want the dang thing to fail in the first place. But every time, they've fixed it quickly and sent it back at no charge.
Old 07-10-12, 01:03 PM
DaveWC

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jed19
I read somewhere where a pro said something along the line of "a good bike cannot win you races, but a lousy one can lose you races".
Then using that logic, Specialized & Trek must not be lousy bikes, which was the point I was making.
Old 07-10-12, 01:13 PM
tkm

Liked 61 Times in 27 Posts
Bontrager (Trek's accessory division), like any other big company, makes a lot of lower-end stuff. But, they also make some decent higher-end products as well. Their upper-end aluminum stems and bars are light and strong and can usually be found for cheap because someone read on some internet forum that all Bontrager products are junk.

They have also been known for their poorer products, such as the old paired-spoke wheels that folks had problems with.

Bontrager is no better or worse than any other House brand that the big OEM's use (Giant, etc).
Old 07-10-12, 01:14 PM
fishymamba

Bikes: CAAD9-6, 13' Dawes Haymaker 1500

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by M_Wales
Nvidia graphic cards
WHY? Their cards are awesome!
Old 07-10-12, 01:41 PM
Elduderino2412
Tour De French Fries

Bikes: 2010 Cervelo R3 SL & 2013 Airborne Goblin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jfitalia
I love how everyone hates specialized because they are a company. I am assumming all the rest of you hippies hate Walmart as well correct?
I love WalMart. Since i don't shop there i can avoid all the rednecks at places i do patronize. It's worth the extra money to avoid many of the rude people in Wal Mart.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.