Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-12, 06:01 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
A sweet looking bike Bostic. Is the Volagi technically a cross bike or road bike with disc aka does it have limited tire clearance?
Congrats on your double century. If that isn't a benchmark of fitness, not sure what is.
Cheers.

Originally Posted by Bostic
The setup of that bike looks very close to how I have my Volagi configured, though I run an Ultegra triple with 11-25. I have 988 miles on the Volagi since getting it mid-May. I recently rode the hardest double century in California, Alta Alpina 8 passes, 21,000'. The bike is plenty stiff at the bottom bracket. You hear but don't feel the bumps on the road. My bike is just under 19 lbs. I originally tried the bike with Sram Red Black but I prefer triples over compacts. I'm 5' 7", 141lbs.

https://app.strava.com/activities/12158578
Old 07-12-12, 06:17 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Campag,
RBA liked the Crux and the Gravel Bike concept. The disc brakes were appreciated for the wet and mud conditions. They discussed some weight saving ideas, but not very much there. Tire size and what could be fitted to the Crux with its disc brakes was looked at, briefly. The overall bike was well received by them and the had a sidebar about a custom Gravel Road bike they wanted to do more testing on. The main point they liked was the ability to ride between different road sections on rougher roads than one would want to ride a regular road bike on with its thinner tyres. They wanted good handling when the GR bike is on the asphalt and how tire selection would come into play.

That is a few high points I can pull up in my old worn mind, I am at work without the issue right now. Try their website for a possible link to the article https://www.roadbikeaction.com/ this was not a full blown bike test but a look at the crux as a part of a new movement and about Gravel Bikes in general. Too short for a lot of details for my taste. Hope this helped you some.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 07-12-12, 10:14 AM
Bostic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
A sweet looking bike Bostic. Is the Volagi technically a cross bike or road bike with disc aka does it have limited tire clearance?
Congrats on your double century. If that isn't a benchmark of fitness, not sure what is.
Cheers.
It's a road bike. It can run up to 700x28 tires but it's been mentioned 700x25 is the sweet spot to use with full fenders since there are mounts on the forks and rear for them during the winter months. I'm running 700x23 Conti 4-Seasons. The rear spacing is standard 130mm.

On Sunday I was part of a big test ride at a local dealer for Volagi. Both founders, Robert and Barley where there. I got to test ride the Steel Viaje that was outfitted with Campy Chorus. Rides like steel, corners and handles like carbon. Wonderful bike. I also test rode a Dura-Ace Di2 Volagi with the TRP Parabox and Hydraulic discs. The Di2 was cool but nothing that made me want to start saving $$$ to acquire. The TRP brakes though are really amazing. Smoooth and powerful.

The SL4 disc Roubaix is 135mm spacing. I'm interested in the spacing of the cranks for the chainline as it's somewhat new territory. Also the head tube is shrunk in the size I would ride, 52cm. I certainly notice the difference between my Pedal Force RS from 2007 with a straight head tube diameter compared to my 2011 Tarmac SL2 Comp with 1 1/8" to 1.5". Throwing the Tarmac into sharp hairpins, it's no comparison now much more enjoyable the Tarmac is. Also, if I'm doing my conversion correctly the disc version is going to list around $5000?!? ( £3,300 from Bike Radar)
Old 07-12-12, 10:18 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The SL4 disc Roubaix is 135mm spacing. I'm interested in the spacing of the cranks for the chainline as it's somewhat new territory.
Not really. On MTBs there is an extra 5mm spacer on the driveside, easily seen on external BB systems. I don't own a pressfit MTB but I would surely think they do the same.
Old 07-12-12, 10:58 AM
sdvictor
Ride the Santa Cruz Mtns!

Bikes: Felt Curbside, Cervelo R3 Rival, Specialized Tarmac Pro SL4 Ultegra Di2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely a big fan of Volagi. I didn't know they are ACTC members until recently. I wonder how they dealt with members in the club who work for Specialized.
Old 07-12-12, 12:20 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Campag,
RBA liked the Crux and the Gravel Bike concept. The disc brakes were appreciated for the wet and mud conditions. They discussed some weight saving ideas, but not very much there. Tire size and what could be fitted to the Crux with its disc brakes was looked at, briefly. The overall bike was well received by them and the had a sidebar about a custom Gravel Road bike they wanted to do more testing on. The main point they liked was the ability to ride between different road sections on rougher roads than one would want to ride a regular road bike on with its thinner tyres. They wanted good handling when the GR bike is on the asphalt and how tire selection would come into play.

That is a few high points I can pull up in my old worn mind, I am at work without the issue right now. Try their website for a possible link to the article https://www.roadbikeaction.com/ this was not a full blown bike test but a look at the crux as a part of a new movement and about Gravel Bikes in general. Too short for a lot of details for my taste. Hope this helped you some.

Bill
Thank you very much Bill. Nice review of the article. Will have to do some soul search of whether I want to give up my 29er in favor of a cross bike. I have my 29er set up as 1 X 9 with 28c tires and it is a great all arounder. I can keep up with average road bikers on it even...or guys not trying too hard to drop me...but fast guys will drop me which is OK...have to work too hard to keep up. I like having a flatbar bike as well as a drop bar bike.
Thanks again.
Old 07-12-12, 12:44 PM
echotraveler

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Id love to try the roubaix sl4, if its stiffer than my sl3 id be in love!

My lbs carries specialized, and they seem to have a lot of sl2's only one s-works sl3! So i assume its gonna take a LONG TIME before i get to see the sl4... In fact my htc sl3 is exotic around this parts!!
Old 07-12-12, 12:45 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
It's a road bike. It can run up to 700x28 tires but it's been mentioned 700x25 is the sweet spot to use with full fenders since there are mounts on the forks and rear for them during the winter months. I'm running 700x23 Conti 4-Seasons. The rear spacing is standard 130mm.

On Sunday I was part of a big test ride at a local dealer for Volagi. Both founders, Robert and Barley where there. I got to test ride the Steel Viaje that was outfitted with Campy Chorus. Rides like steel, corners and handles like carbon. Wonderful bike. I also test rode a Dura-Ace Di2 Volagi with the TRP Parabox and Hydraulic discs. The Di2 was cool but nothing that made me want to start saving $$$ to acquire. The TRP brakes though are really amazing. Smoooth and powerful.

The SL4 disc Roubaix is 135mm spacing. I'm interested in the spacing of the cranks for the chainline as it's somewhat new territory. Also the head tube is shrunk in the size I would ride, 52cm. I certainly notice the difference between my Pedal Force RS from 2007 with a straight head tube diameter compared to my 2011 Tarmac SL2 Comp with 1 1/8" to 1.5". Throwing the Tarmac into sharp hairpins, it's no comparison now much more enjoyable the Tarmac is. Also, if I'm doing my conversion correctly the disc version is going to list around $5000?!? ( £3,300 from Bike Radar)
Thanks Bostic for your comments. Sounds like a great bike with strong brakes.
Congrats again on your double century...sounds grueling and what an effort!

Last edited by Campag4life; 07-12-12 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-12-12, 12:48 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by echotraveler
Id love to try the roubaix sl4, if its stiffer than my sl3 id be in love!

My lbs carries specialized, and they seem to have a lot of sl2's only one s-works sl3! So i assume its gonna take a LONG TIME before i get to see the sl4... In fact my htc sl3 is exotic around this parts!!
Echo...do you really want a stiffer bike than the SL3? Not sure I do. The bike is already best in class for torsional stiffness and to me feels plenty vertically stiff as well and hence my earlier comment about sweet spot. I suspect the SL4 will be as torsionally stiff as the SL3 only more vertically compliant with revised Zertz. Will see if that is an improvement.
Old 07-13-12, 12:25 PM
manutd
Treble Member

Bikes: '07 Cervelo P2C, '12 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert, 2011 Specialized TriCross Comp.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The setup of that bike looks very close to how I have my Volagi configured, though I run an Ultegra triple with 11-25. I have 988 miles on the Volagi since getting it mid-May. I recently rode the hardest double century in California, Alta Alpina 8 passes, 21,000'. The bike is plenty stiff at the bottom bracket. You hear but don't feel the bumps on the road. My bike is just under 19 lbs. I originally tried the bike with Sram Red Black but I prefer triples over compacts. I'm 5' 7", 141lbs.

Ha ha....perhaps thats why SPecialized sued them.......
Old 07-16-12, 11:06 AM
rushbikes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any idea whose disc brakes are on the Roubaix? Or is it an in-house design?
Old 07-16-12, 11:18 AM
NWS Alpine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rushbikes
Any idea whose disc brakes are on the Roubaix? Or is it an in-house design?
Avid mechanical. Sram Red hydraulic when they are released for the S-Works version.
Old 07-16-12, 11:22 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by NWS Alpine
Avid mechanical. Sram Red hydraulic when they are released for the S-Works version.
While I like caliper brakes on my road bike, I will have to consider Avid mechanicals if available when I replace my new Roubaix which will be well into the future likely. I have BB7's on my 29er and love 'em. I am not a fan of hydraullic disc brakes....just don't want the hassle of them...no doubt they work well when set up properly.
Old 07-16-12, 11:23 AM
ivan_yulaev

Bikes: See sig.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
It isn't a comfort bike...but a race bike with a comfortable geometry if you don't have the flexibility of a gymnast.
C'mon!