Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

German bikes in the USA.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

German bikes in the USA.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-12, 08:15 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by alhedges
I lived in Germany for a couple of years and used to really like Kettler bikes. But the ones I've seen from the past 10 years or so just strike me as ugly and overpriced. I.e., a 36lb aluminum bike with lower-end Shimano components (and a resin chainguard) shouldn't cost $1400. https://www.kettlerusa.com/bikes/women/4374
That bike probably sells for 1/2-2/3rds that cost in Europe, I checked a UK website and the equivalent bike was ~$750 delivered to a UK address. FWIW the EU model appears to be called Sentiero. I am sure a huge part of that cost is import fees and freight to get small batches to the US.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 07-18-12, 10:13 AM
dirty tiger
Mostly Harmless

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Makes sense.

The Silk Road looks cool, It seems like in might have inspired the Surly Troll.
Old 07-18-12, 12:09 PM
alhedges

Bikes: NWT 24sp DD; Brompton M6R

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wahoonc
That bike probably sells for 1/2-2/3rds that cost in Europe, I checked a UK website and the equivalent bike was ~$750 delivered to a UK address. FWIW the EU model appears to be called Sentiero. I am sure a huge part of that cost is import fees and freight to get small batches to the US.

Aaron
That makes sense...and $750 is a lot more reasonable price for that bike. Which would make it roughly equivalent to the Novara Transfer ($699). https://www.rei.com/product/808786/no...sfer-bike-2012
Old 07-18-12, 07:33 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
I would almost consider the Novara Transfer an upgrade it has an IGH, which typically adds to the price compared to a derailleur equipped bike. If you take the Sentiero and remove the VAT it gets down to around $600 or so. VAT in the UK is 20%. Most reasonable quality hybrids in the US are in the ~$500 range, by the time you add fenders, racks and a kickstand you are pushing the $600+ range, add in a dyno hub and decent lights an you are in for close to $800.

I have been fortunate in that most of my fully equipped Euro spec bikes have been purchased used or at a very deep discount when they were discontinued. I have 3 that came fully equipped, and another one that I upgraded.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 07-18-12, 10:03 PM
alhedges

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I would almost consider the Novara Transfer an upgrade it has an IGH, which typically adds to the price compared to a derailleur equipped bike. If you take the Sentiero and remove the VAT it gets down to around $600 or so. VAT in the UK is 20%. Most reasonable quality hybrids in the US are in the ~$500 range, by the time you add fenders, racks and a kickstand you are pushing the $600+ range, add in a dyno hub and decent lights an you are in for close to $800.

I have been fortunate in that most of my fully equipped Euro spec bikes have been purchased used or at a very deep discount when they were discontinued. I have 3 that came fully equipped, and another one that I upgraded.

Aaron
Yeah, I was surprised by the specs and price of the Transfer - $699 with dynohub and IGH and fenders and rack is a steal.
Old 07-19-12, 07:42 AM
DEK

Bikes: '11 Felt Z85

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Ghost Bikes is a German company that's supposedly well-known for mountain bikes and have recently added road bikes. I think the Race Lector Comp is absolutely beautiful...

https://www.ghost-bikes.com/bikes-201...e-lector-comp/
Old 07-19-12, 11:50 AM
dirty tiger
Mostly Harmless

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think this is a sexy bike... https://www.ghost-bikes.com/bikes-201...e-lector-9000/ She'd be fun with trekking bars.
Old 07-23-12, 10:06 AM
vt_biketim
wrench from the 70s

Bikes: 1970ish Paramount, 1990 Miyata Carbon-tech 3000, home-made mtb-turned commuter, GT Quatrefoil tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I was surprised by the specs and price of the Transfer - $699 with dynohub and IGH and fenders and rack is a steal.
$699 would be a good price, I think, but you never know about the details on a Novara (bottom brackets and headsets, pedals, etc.). If you like this type of machine you could also look at Breezers' Transportation line, which has a reputation for quality. Not remotely German, though.
Old 07-23-12, 10:11 AM
Midnight Biker
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This may be off topic, but I don't understand how anyone can buy anything German knowing what those people did in the very recent past.
Old 07-23-12, 10:54 AM
DCB0
Banned.

Bikes: CCM Torino 76

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Biker
This may be off topic, but I don't understand how anyone can buy anything German knowing what those people did in the very recent past.
I partly agree. WWII and the Holocaust is in my mind anytime anyone mentions Germany. But the fact is, Germany has been an upstanding member of the world community for three generations, and fewer and fewer of the people each year survive who were alive back then.
Similar statements can be made about Russia, China, Japan, etc...

Also, if you put gas in your car in the past 40 years then you have knowingly helped contribute to brutal killings and human rights violations in many countries.

We all have blood on our hands. It needs to be discussed and brought into the open, but there are few viable alternatives from dealing with these countries. All we can do, IMHO, is move into the future trying to make things better - not remain angry over the distant past.

Last edited by DCB0; 07-23-12 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Added a qualifier
Old 07-23-12, 02:49 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by dirty tiger
I never mentioned anything about "Dutch Bikes"

I just find it interesting that no German bicycle company has established any kind of niche in this country.....ZERO PENETRATION into the market place.
It's ironic considering how popular German cars and Motorcycles are in this country, "German Engineering" has a cult following here.

I only mentioned Trekking Bikes because they seem to be very popular in N. Europe but somewhat obscure here, and they seem like great bikes......although, as I type this I realize that the 29'er Adventure Bike concept that is gaining popularity around here could be seen as an American Trekking bike.
Then I say again Focus makes a full line of bikes here and is popular. But I doubt that Germany would have any better luck in the US market than US bikes have.
Old 07-23-12, 05:26 PM
dirty tiger
Mostly Harmless

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Then I say again Focus makes a full line of bikes here and is popular. But I doubt that Germany would have any better luck in the US market than US bikes have.
Well, I stand corrected. They seem like nice bikes.
Old 07-23-12, 05:57 PM
alhedges

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
70 years is not the "very recent past," and I don't think any of what I might spend is going to whatever 90+ year old perpetrators that still might be alive. FWIW, the official car of the PM of Israel is an Audi. https://www.globes.co.il/serveen/glob...97208&fid=1725
Old 07-23-12, 10:45 PM
iheartbacon

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's not German but it's still cool. I had a Swiss Army bike for 10 years. My only regret is trading it off, it was really a wonderful bike. Mine was a 1959 model.

https://www.coldwarremarketing.com/ve....asp?s=Bicycle

Spend the extra money (if you buy one) and get one that's complete and in good shape. A good one is ~$500. Mine attracted a crowd wherever I went. I'm definitely going to own another one.
Old 07-25-12, 12:39 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,600 Times in 1,080 Posts
I lived in Germany for a couple of years and used to really like Kettler bikes. But the ones I've seen from the past 10 years or so just strike me as ugly and overpriced. I.e., a 36lb aluminum bike with lower-end Shimano components (and a resin chainguard) shouldn't cost $1400. https://www.kettlerusa.com/bikes/women/4374
I found German "city" bikes offered excellent vaule and were perfect for my family's commuting and recreational needs. Pictured is a Vaterland 3 speed purchased new in Heidelberg for 400DM (=$200) in 1999 at the Heidelberg Train Station as well as along the Mississippi River and at Home in Iowa.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
HD-Bahnhof my bike in Front.jpg (104.5 KB, 14 views)
Vaterland-Big1.jpg (100.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 08-02-12, 11:39 AM
alhedges

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I found German "city" bikes offered excellent vaule and were perfect for my family's commuting and recreational needs. Pictured is a Vaterland 3 speed purchased new in Heidelberg for 400DM (=$200) in 1999 at the Heidelberg Train Station as well as along the Mississippi River and at Home in Iowa.
That is a great deal. When I lived near Stuttgart, I was lent a 3 spd city bike; I was generally happy with it, but I did struggle to get up some hills, including the one I lived on. When I returned to Germany a couple of years later I brought my early 90's hard tail mountain bike (with slicks and rack and fenders and dynamo) - a great bike, but since I lived in pancake-flat Kiel this time, it was kind of overkill.
Old 08-04-12, 03:53 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,600 Times in 1,080 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I found German "city" bikes offered excellent vaule and were perfect for my family's commuting and recreational needs.
Pictured are more 3 and 7 speed German bikes used by my family in Germany and the US. All with coaster brake rear as well as front hand brakes. None cost more than $400 new; the Knast 5 speed was a dumpster freebee. All fully equipped with fenders, lights, bell chainguards, rear rack and kickstands.
Attached Images
ZeroSeven-small.jpg (85.7 KB, 9 views)
bike3.jpg (99.4 KB, 9 views)
CalvinBike.JPG (70.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-04-12, 03:59 PM
straykat71

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
70 years is not the "very recent past," and I don't think any of what I might spend is going to whatever 90+ year old perpetrators that still might be alive. FWIW, the official car of the PM of Israel is an Audi. https://www.globes.co.il/serveen/glob...97208&fid=1725
I agree
Old 08-05-12, 05:48 AM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
HPvelo is a recumbent line of German origin - have a SMGTe and have ridden many of their other models.
Old 08-05-12, 07:05 AM
terrapin44

Bikes: 2012 Civia Prospect, 2012 Specialized Sirrus Sport, 199x Canondale M800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was in Germany a few weeks ago and went into a couple bike shops. They had lots of nice commuter bikes (and some trekking) for reasonable prices already fully outfitted with dynohubs, lights, fenders, racks, etc. Even with VAT they were cheaper then similar bikes here. I'm hoping to go on a bike tour in Europe next year. If I do, instead of renting a bike, I may purchase a bike in Europe, ride my our, and ship it back.