Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Feels harder to climb and sprint. Wheels or legs?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-12, 10:06 AM
FasterNearGirls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Guess I'm seeking some clarification and comfort from the 41 as usual.

I am very happy so far with my new wheelset upgrade: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...8#post14530248 Reynolds 2011 DV3k Carbon Clinchers - theoretically 1530g for the set. I like how well they dampen vibrations and the slight aero upgrade.

Old wheels: Neuvation M28X aero. Rated somewhere over 1700g for the set.

Now, I'm a little paranoid as usual and feel like the new ones are not really lighter.
I figure they'd be super stiff given the not so ligh weight, but my sprinting feels like it's suffered.
My climbing feels slower too.
I'm flying on flats though.
It is very likely that the negatives are all in my mind/legs. I'm reaching a burn-out point in the season, I believe. So I wanted some quantifiable experienced comments from you in terms of how these new wheels should perform climbing or sprinting, compared to my old ones.

Thank you!
Old 07-26-12, 10:08 AM
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
is this a troll? have you ever held ~ 180 grams in your hand? heck my belches weigh more than that.

it ain't the wheels.
Old 07-26-12, 10:21 AM
FasterNearGirls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Creakyknees
is this a troll? have you ever held ~ 180 grams in your hand? heck my belches weigh more than that.

it ain't the wheels.
My knees also creak!

I understand the weight difference is practically negligible. If anything, the new wheels would have the advantage. But perhaps there's more science to it considering rim depths and so forth. (?) Hope you're right though!
Old 07-26-12, 10:30 AM
coachboyd
Boyd Cycling owner

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
have you ever held ~ 180 grams in your hand? heck my belches weigh more than that.
I would like to hear that belch!

As for the wheels, climbing and sprinting are both situations where you are taking a lot of torque from the rear hub and transferring it to the rim. A radial spoke can not transfer torque, so if your wheel has radial spokes in the back this will not transfer torque as well to the rim. The M28s are only 1X on both sides which will transfer the torque (not as well as 2X on both sides, but much better than radial).
For riding along on the flats (say doing a triathlon or time trial) you could actually use a wheel radial on both sides in the rear and it would be fine once you got up to speed. But for climbing, sprinting, changing pace, and cornering, radial doesn't belong on a rear wheel and that is probably the lag you are feeling.
Old 07-26-12, 10:31 AM
MrTuner1970
Underwhelming

Bikes: Lynskey R330 Ti, Dean El Vado Ti, Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
have you ever held ~ 180 grams in your hand? heck my belches weigh more than that.
Old 07-26-12, 10:33 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 944 Times in 623 Posts
I don't understand why any rear wheels have radial spoking. Is there a "plus" side other than tiny bit shorter spokes ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-26-12, 10:36 AM
joeturner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
I don't understand why any rear wheels have radial spoking. Is there a "plus" side other than tiny bit shorter spokes ?
It looks sexy
Old 07-26-12, 10:39 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Legs
Old 07-26-12, 10:39 AM
kv501

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mind/legs.

Depending on how much I drink or sweat, I can gain or lose 3 lbs. on a 75 mile ride. That's 1.36 KILOgrams.

I hate to say this to someone who just dropped some cash, but the only thing you gained by this switch was looks, and slightly more vibration dampening (which is perfectly fine; I like new gear too). Anything else is placebo. The aero claim is marketing hype which you aren't going to be able to notice unless you are at a pro level. Your position and profile in the wind is 95% of aero. As far as your legs and climbing rate, everybody has slumps. Just keep pushing.
Old 07-26-12, 10:42 AM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Just how exactly do you feel your "sprinting" has "suffered"?

And did you really think 170 grams was going to make you climb faster?

Maybe this was in jest and it just went over my head. I hope this is the case.
Old 07-26-12, 10:46 AM
kv501

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
...deleted
Old 07-26-12, 10:50 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Liked 5,570 Times in 3,281 Posts
It's a reverse placebo effect.
Old 07-26-12, 10:55 AM
Elduderino2412
Tour De French Fries

Bikes: 2010 Cervelo R3 SL & 2013 Airborne Goblin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm currently having this problem too, but it's b/c of the summer heat. I've felt pretty weak for last month. The heat and humidity just sucks all my energy.
Old 07-26-12, 11:08 AM
fishymamba

Bikes: CAAD9-6, 13' Dawes Haymaker 1500

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Elduderino2412
i'm currently having this problem too, but it's b/c of the summer heat. I've felt pretty weak for last month. The heat and humidity just sucks all my energy.
+1

The same thing is happening to me, been feeling really weak since the weather started heating up.

Forget about the wheels man, I dropped over 1000 grams switching from the stock wheels on my CAAD9 to Soul 2.0s(1350 grams) and felt almost no difference in climbing. The only difference I feel is faster spin up(not that noticeable) and when I stand up to climb going up 10%+ grades(not that noticeable either). the bike does look cooler so I am happy.
Old 07-26-12, 11:30 AM
FasterNearGirls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hammy56
Just how exactly do you feel your "sprinting" has "suffered"?

And did you really think 170 grams was going to make you climb faster?

Maybe this was in jest and it just went over my head. I hope this is the case.
Sprinting: not so much by feel, but by numbers - not reaching the same speeds.
200 grams didn't make me think I'd climb faster, but definitely not slower.
That's why the questioning. Hopefully I just need a rest week, as some have been confirming it's the legs.
Old 07-26-12, 11:32 AM
FasterNearGirls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kv501
Mind/legs.

Depending on how much I drink or sweat, I can gain or lose 3 lbs. on a 75 mile ride. That's 1.36 KILOgrams.

I hate to say this to someone who just dropped some cash, but the only thing you gained by this switch was looks, and slightly more vibration dampening (which is perfectly fine; I like new gear too). Anything else is placebo. The aero claim is marketing hype which you aren't going to be able to notice unless you are at a pro level. Your position and profile in the wind is 95% of aero. As far as your legs and climbing rate, everybody has slumps. Just keep pushing.
The aero issue does seem to be working well for me! Perhaps placebo as you point out. Although I am sure SOME of the marketing is accurate. I ride fast paceline rides with elite and some pro racers, as well as race crits. I feel more comfortable hanging on! My bike is super aero! lol!
Old 07-26-12, 11:33 AM
FasterNearGirls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coachboyd

As for the wheels, climbing and sprinting are both situations where you are taking a lot of torque from the rear hub and transferring it to the rim. A radial spoke can not transfer torque, so if your wheel has radial spokes in the back this will not transfer torque as well to the rim. The M28s are only 1X on both sides which will transfer the torque (not as well as 2X on both sides, but much better than radial).
For riding along on the flats (say doing a triathlon or time trial) you could actually use a wheel radial on both sides in the rear and it would be fine once you got up to speed. But for climbing, sprinting, changing pace, and cornering, radial doesn't belong on a rear wheel and that is probably the lag you are feeling.
:/ something new in my mind now!
Old 07-26-12, 11:36 AM
FasterNearGirls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Legs
Thx Taga.
Old 07-26-12, 12:47 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Liked 182 Times in 104 Posts
Assumption: you're using the same tires, tubes, and rimstrip. If not then that would explain a lot.

I'd make sure that the new wheels are okay, meaning spoke tension, hub adjustment, brake pad clearance (esp if you're really throwing the bike around), frame clearance. Also check the freehub body - there may be excessive drag.

The Reynolds should be very fast. The rims are very light and you should be able to accelerate quickly. The top end may not be different though due to the two rims being comparable aero-wise.

For climbing it won't make a difference.

I used to use Reynolds DV46 clinchers and tubulars and they are good, solid wheels. My teammates ride them now and one noticed considerable drag with the freehub body. The other hasn't had any problems.
Old 07-26-12, 12:58 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
100% engine. Wheels don't make you fast, your legs do. Maybe professional riders can tell the difference between wheelsets. And even the "significant" difference claimed by expensive wheel manufacturers measure the advantage of high-tech wheels in seconds per 40 miles. If you are in a pro TT race, that might make a difference. But to a regular slob trying to haul himself over a hill, wheels matter not. It's all in the legs.
Old 07-26-12, 01:02 PM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by FasterNearGirls
Sprinting: not so much by feel, but by numbers - not reaching the same speeds.
200 grams didn't make me think I'd climb faster, but definitely not slower.
That's why the questioning. Hopefully I just need a rest week, as some have been confirming it's the legs.
Did you recalibrate your computer when you put the new wheels on? Any time you change wheels or tires you need to recalibrate.
Old 07-26-12, 01:03 PM
Thirstyman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't build them that way but Zipp claims that it allows more room to accommodate a wider hub center to flange on the DS for better balanced geometry. They claim that wheel stiffness is not effected provided the hub body is stiff enough and the NDS is built more traditionally.
Old 07-26-12, 01:08 PM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by coachboyd

I'm not following. What does "A radial spoke can not transfer torque, so if your wheel has radial spokes in the back this will not transfer torque as well to the rim" mean? The hub, spokes, rim and wheel are all one piece. They spin together. There is no lag. You don't see guys changing wheels before a mountain pass during the TdF.
Old 07-26-12, 01:12 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe can use less spokes for weight weenies? Theoretically more aero too?
Old 07-26-12, 01:37 PM
FasterNearGirls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Assumption: you're using the same tires, tubes, and rimstrip. If not then that would explain a lot.

I'd make sure that the new wheels are okay, meaning spoke tension, hub adjustment, brake pad clearance (esp if you're really throwing the bike around), frame clearance. Also check the freehub body - there may be excessive drag.

The Reynolds should be very fast. The rims are very light and you should be able to accelerate quickly. The top end may not be different though due to the two rims being comparable aero-wise.

For climbing it won't make a difference.

I used to use Reynolds DV46 clinchers and tubulars and they are good, solid wheels. My teammates ride them now and one noticed considerable drag with the freehub body. The other hasn't had any problems.
Thanks CDR. Old wheels had Pro 3 race, forte light tubes 48mm valve stem. New wheels have Pro 4 service course, forte light tube 60mm valve stem.

Clearance from brake pads and frame is good.

As for spoke tension and freehub drag, I can only assume and hope they're ok as the wheel is new and I'm not knowledgeable in those areas.

You think the 2 rims are similar aero-wise? I thought the Reynolds had a significant aero advantage.

Thank you again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.