Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Ran right into the side of this guys minivan,,,

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Ran right into the side of this guys minivan,,,

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 07:53 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
I hope the van driver sues the OP. Then the OP can report back on what the judge said.
Old 08-13-12, 07:57 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,590 Times in 1,073 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
I understand, that sadly there are times when one cannot stop in time. And in this case had the OP been traveling slower he would have been able to stop in time. Plus again, judging from the picture of his bike and his statement that he "couldn't stop on a dime." Suggests that had he been properly maintaining his bikes various systems, he would have been able to stop in time.

The OP, is NOT the innocent victim that he or you are trying to make him seem to be. The bottom line is that had he been traveling slower, as well as maintaining his bikes equipment he would have been able to stop.
No, the bottom line is that YOU are nothing more than a Monday Morning Accident Analyzer, overloaded with gibberish and guesswork about how YOU (and similar soothsayers) would have avoided every possible accident scenario through your clairvoyant power of analysis gained post accident.
Old 08-13-12, 08:07 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Yes, they're assumptions, but they're assumptions made based the comments made by the OP. And the way that he seems to be treating the whole thing as a joke.

Going back to one of the potential situations that the OP could find himself on, would you still be so quick to defend him?

Also like I am sure most of us here, I have had close calls with motorists I expected to stop at a stop sign, but they didn't. But because I was paying attention to my surroundings I was either able to stop in time, or to steer around the situation on time. That the OP wasn't able to, suggests that he was IN fact traveling too fast.
From your first two paragraphs it seems you know more about the OP situation than I do.

The other reason you have been able to avoid hitting motorists who don't stop at red light or stop sign is luck that you had space or time to evade. If one of those motorist had not stopped a bit later you may have not been so lucky.

I have never had a motorist not stop for me yet, but that is partly because I ride well into the lane with a flashing strobe headlight in daylight.

Anyway, I do have to remember the next time we hear of a cyclist who is hit by a motorist blowing a red light or stop sign to blame the cyclist for going to fast to stop or turn in time.
Old 08-13-12, 08:30 PM
otis66

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your suppose to stop at a stop sign. If the driver had stop at the stop sighn you would not have ran into his car. Driver is at fault.
Old 08-13-12, 08:37 PM
oban_kobi

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX, Custom Vintage FG

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by howeeee
I was riding on the sidewalk
Didn't even have to read the rest to know you were 100% to blame. Stay in the road, stop at stop signs. Make a habit of it and this won't happen to you again.
Old 08-13-12, 08:51 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Originally Posted by oban_kobi
Didn't even have to read the rest to know you were 100% to blame.
Incorrect. The motorist did not stop at stop sign.

Stay in the road, stop at stop signs.
Excellent advice which will help reduce similar potential incidents if followed

Make a habit of it and this won't happen to you again.
Incorrect. Other drivers may suddenly pull or turn right in front of you even if you are on the road.
Old 08-13-12, 10:41 PM
howeeee
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
the thread is outta control lol,,nobody is suing anyone,,we shook hands and went our own way,,I have no idea who he is,,he has no idea who I am lol...

I made the original post cause I found humor in how a 64 year old Schwinn Autocyle is so indestructable that it could run into the side of a van and the van was damaged but not the bicycle,,thought others would see the humore,,somehow it turned into a argument about sidewalk riding lol
Old 08-14-12, 01:20 AM
Daves_Not_Here
On your right

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread is stupid and anyone who adds to it needs to Getalife. I shall now proceed to add to it.

The Univeral Law of Sidewalk Riding is that you slow and prepare to stop prior to entering the street. It's only common sense. You don't go blasting into the street like some clown who peppers his sentences with "lol" lest ye inherit the earth. (and fer Chrissakes OP, if you're going to Laugh Out Loud all the time, then be a man and Spell It Out - you know, Ha Ha HA! Give the hip internet acronyms a rest already. WTF?)

Yes, it's amusing that you T-boned a van and won. Less amusing would have been the scene had you arrived earlier. And far less amusing would have been the aftermath had the van swerved into others to miss you.

Ignore the tedious circular legalistic arguments here that vary based on locality and menstrual cycle, the laws of physics govern.

lol

Last edited by Daves_Not_Here; 08-14-12 at 01:23 AM.
Old 08-14-12, 04:45 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

the thread is outta control lol,,nobody is suing anyone,,we shook hands and went our own way,,I have no idea who he is,,he has no idea who I am lol...

I made the original post cause I found humor in how a 64 year old Schwinn Autocyle is so indestructable that it could run into the side of a van and the van was damaged but not the bicycle,,thought others would see the humore,,somehow it turned into a argument about sidewalk riding lol
Thatz what happens when a thread is hijicked from a more reasonable list and placed in a Snakepit of Second Guessers, Vehicular Cycling "Advocates", Clubhouse Lawyers and SideWALK Demonizers.
Old 08-14-12, 05:52 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
I hope the van driver sues the OP. Then the OP can report back on what the judge said.
CB,

I agree with you.
Old 08-14-12, 06:04 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
Didn't even have to read the rest to know you were 100% to blame.
Incorrect. The motorist did not stop at stop sign.

Stay in the road, stop at stop signs.
Excellent advice which will help reduce similar potential incidents if followed

Make a habit of it and this won't happen to you again.
Incorrect. Other drivers may suddenly pull or turn right in front of you even if you are on the road.
Actually, all we have is the OP's word for what happened. We have NOT heard the owner of the van side of things.

And again, given that by the OP's own admission that he "wasn't able to stop on a dime" reinforces that he was traveling too fast. As I know that Florida law makes it very clear that one is suppose to be able to stop within X distance at 10MPH. I am sure that every state has similar language in their laws.
Old 08-14-12, 06:08 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
So Michigan law posted supports my point of view. You have to remember growing up in Michigan you are told from the time you learn to ride a bike,,the safest place is the sidewalk. I grew up in a suburb of Detroit called Oak Park. If you were caught by the police riding a bike in the street while you were not yet 12 they would write you a citation,,that you had to get signed by your parents and send it in. I had about 10 by the time I was 12 and had about 6 more from riding double on a bike lol.
Wow! Blast from the past. Did you also need to get written permission from your parents. I remember having to do that. Detroit law used to be such that from 12 onward you technically needed written parental permission to ride on the street. And my mother was a stickler for the rules.
Old 08-14-12, 06:13 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think that the main problem is that you think that it's "funny" that you damaged someone else's property. And is unwilling to except responsibility for your actions.

The bottom line is that you got lucky.

Old 08-14-12, 06:18 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Was that a one time written permission, or did one need a new written permission every time one went for a ride?

Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
So Michigan law posted supports my point of view. You have to remember growing up in Michigan you are told from the time you learn to ride a bike,,the safest place is the sidewalk. I grew up in a suburb of Detroit called Oak Park. If you were caught by the police riding a bike in the street while you were not yet 12 they would write you a citation,,that you had to get signed by your parents and send it in. I had about 10 by the time I was 12 and had about 6 more from riding double on a bike lol.
Wow! Blast from the past. Did you also need to get written permission from your parents. I remember having to do that. Detroit law used to be such that from 12 onward you technically needed written parental permission to ride on the street. And my mother was a stickler for the rules.
Old 08-14-12, 07:33 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

I think that the main problem is that you think that it's "funny" that you damaged someone else's property. .
funny? Why do you think he thinks its funny?
Old 08-14-12, 07:39 AM
SteamingAlong

Bikes: 2011 Steamroller; 1998 Cannondale F-400; 1981 Motobecane Jubilee Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zonatandem
So why are you riding a bicycle on a sideWALK?
N/K. If it was my van, I probably would have punched you in the side of the head. sideWALK.
Old 08-14-12, 08:26 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 984 Posts
I think you miss that if a cyclist pulls out right in front of a motorist or a motorist pulls right in front of a cyclist, that there is no chance to stop.

Where do you come up with this idea that the cyclist could have safety stopped in time? The OP clearly said they couldn't 'stop on a dime' which generally means when motorist pulled in font of them there was no space left to stop.
You miss that the cyclist (it appears) didn't even slow down before entering the crosswalk. Not slowing is foolish (and illegal).

These are only assumptions on your part. There is nothing to support that the OP did not have properly functioning brakes or was traveling too fast. You only can make a judgement on too fast if you know when the motor vehicle first came into view and secondly where the cyclist was when the motorist pulled into crosswalk. Just as one can not travel slow enough to avoid a door opening in front of them, one can not travel slow enough to avoid a motorist pulling out from a side street.
Sorry, this is nonsense. The cyclist should have slowed down and looked (just like any other careful pedestrian should have done). Clearly, given the story as written, the cyclist was going too fast and not looking.

(Just to be clear, that the van driver made a mistake doesn't mean the cyclist didn't make a mistake either. And the cyclist, very likely, should have had enough control to avoid the collision).

Perhaps, but in this case I was jogging on the sidewalk and a car illegally came out of a blind alley at high speed, my front legs hit front side of hood and I went up on hood.

It is one of the main reasons I only run in the roadway now instead of sidewalks.
This cyclist was entering a crosswalk. He should have nearly stopped before entering it.

Having seen these situations unfold many times where I live, motorists approach main roads fast and it is rare they fully stop at all if they don't have to due to traffic in the main street they are entering. The real problem is that drivers (motorist and cyclist) ignore stop signs. When that becomes the norm, then one has to blame the victims of those who don't stop. Pedestrians get killed this way all the time, but no one is blaming them for walking to fast or not stopping quick enough for speeding law breaking motorists.

(I have never cycled on a sidewalk, so my perception is based on running and walking on sidewalks where I have this issue on just about every walk.)
So, given this, the reasonable, prudent, cautious thing to do is slow down and check before entering the crosswalk.

There are two "real problems": one (as you said) is the motorists; the other is cyclists entering crosswalks at unreasonable/unexpected speeds without really looking. As should be obvious, the cyclist can't control what the motorist does but he can certainly slow down and look (and take control of his own safety).

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-14-12 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-14-12, 08:44 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by otis66
Your suppose to stop at a stop sign. If the driver had stop at the stop sighn you would not have ran into his car. Driver is at fault.
This is true but incomplete. The pedestrian is supposed to make sure there isn't traffic before entering the crosswalk. Thus, in fact, both parties made errors.

Anyway, the real goal is not to assign fault. The real goal is to avoid getting hit in the first place. It doesn't seem that this collision was unavoidable. That is, the cyclist-pedestrian didn't take enough care.
Old 08-14-12, 10:04 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by njkayaker
... And the cyclist, very likely, should have had enough control to avoid the collision).
Doesn't this all purpose criticism/fault finding conclusion/solution apply to everybody involved in every accident, no matter what the vehicle?
Old 08-14-12, 10:43 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Because of the way on just about ecru one of his posts he has at least one lol, and that by his own admission he thinks it's "humorous" that he not only ran into the side of the van, but that he did so while causing damage to it, but didn't suffer any damage himself.

I think that the main problem is that you think that it's "funny" that you damaged someone else's property. .
funny? Why do you think he thinks its funny?
Old 08-14-12, 10:52 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Because of the way on just about ecru one of his posts he has at least one lol, and that by his own admission he thinks it's "humorous" that he not only ran into the side of the van, but that he did so while causing damage to it, but didn't suffer any damage himself.
I missed that. I saw the lol, but i didn't read it as oh, that was funny.

To be clear I would never argue that the cyclist did not have personal responsibility to avoid the accident. That is a given.
Old 08-14-12, 10:59 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
... And the cyclist, very likely, should have had enough control to avoid the collision).
Doesn't this all purpose criticism/fault finding conclusion/solution apply to everybody involved in every accident, no matter what the vehicle?
It doesn't apply to every accident. In this case, it would seem to apply and it appears the cyclist was oblivious to it.

(Just to be clear, that the van driver made a mistake doesn't mean the cyclist didn't make a mistake either. And the cyclist, very likely, should have had enough control to avoid the collision).
The van driver isn't around to hear suggestions as to how to avoid collisions. The cyclist is.

And the cyclist got into a collision which appears to have been quite avoidable. It doesn't seem that the cyclist has any idea that what he appeared to have failed to do (slowing down and looking) was a contributing factor that was under his control.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-14-12 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-14-12, 12:00 PM
rando

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
were you riding against the flow of adjacent auto traffic? that can be dangerous because people are looking left for oncoming traffic, not to the right for bikes coming at them. it's also illegal in many places.

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
Old 08-14-12, 12:28 PM
howeeee
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Thatz what happens when a thread is hijicked from a more reasonable list and placed in a Snakepit of Second Guessers, Vehicular Cycling "Advocates", Clubhouse Lawyers and SideWALK Demonizers.
lol
Old 08-14-12, 12:39 PM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
I don't like riding on the sidewalk and seldom do it. Sometimes for me though it seems to be a necessary evil. If I find myself in the middle of a block and have a choice to cross 4 lanes of busy traffic, going out of my way to the next cross street, salmon the bike lane, or make a dash up an empty sidewalk I sometimes take the sidewalk. Taking the bike lane down to the next cross is the more correct move but sometimes it seems to be a long way to the next cross. The LBS is a good example, It is on one end of a long block.

When I do ride the sidewalk, I am very observant and careful. I nearly hit a young boy who was riding on the sidewalk once. I was making an exit from a parking lot onto a busy street. I checked for traffic in both directions but failed to check the sidewalk. I barely missed him and it scared the daylights out of me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.