Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Shingles

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-12, 02:24 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Liked 667 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
My having scars on my cornea makes you thankful?
No no, I mean, aw heck, you know what I mean.
Old 06-14-12, 09:00 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Liked 348 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Just got back from getting my Shingles vaccine at Walgreen's. They tell me it's 50% effective. I saw my mother get shingles and it's nothing I want.
The vaccine should either prevent or lessen the severity of an outbreak.
On my list of things to do soon.
Old 06-14-12, 09:53 PM
WPeabody 

Bikes: Terratrike Tour, recumbent tadpole tricycle.

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Just got over a case of shingles, a few weeks ago, right over the scars from having it when I was 15 years old.
I had to sit out in the car while waiting for the doctor, because, understandably, they wouldn't let me sit in the waiting room. The anti-viral stuff didn't do well with me, so I took a reduced dose. They cleared up after a couple weeks, just the same.
Old 06-15-12, 06:43 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
At what age are they recommending or suggesting the vaccine?
Old 06-15-12, 06:59 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Liked 1,354 Times in 788 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
At what age are they recommending or suggesting the vaccine?
I was told age 50 is recommended but definitely age 60.
Old 06-15-12, 07:40 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I was told age 50 is recommended but definitely age 60.
You may have to convince your "behind the time" doc or drugstore that 50 is now approved by the FDA:

"At this time, CDC does not have a recommendation for routine use of shingles vaccine in persons 50 through 59 years old. However, the vaccine is approved by FDA for people 50 and older. It is available by prescription from a health care provider. Talk with your health care provider if you have questions about shingles vaccine."

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/...-need-know.htm
Old 06-15-12, 08:11 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Next visit to the doc, in November, I'll ask about it.
Old 06-15-12, 05:46 PM
fat biker

Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
OUCH!

Your fat biker is just getting over a shingles outbreak, left side of face.
AND for good measure a bacterial infection.

ER, IV antibacterials, start the anti-viral pill.
5 days flat in bed
5 more days with just fumes in the tank.
Saw the doc yesterday, she said I missed getting hit by the cement truck by inches.
AND I am blind in my right eye, so any involvement of my left eye would have really sucked.
Dodged that one.

Sympathies to my fellow shingles sufferes.
OTHERS? get the shot.

Jeff, still fat
Old 06-15-12, 06:03 PM
rubic
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got my shingles vaccine shot in January. Shingles is scary stuff. I sure hope the vaccine does its job.
Old 06-15-12, 06:08 PM
Pluto

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Synapse 5 Jamis Durango 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get well soon. I had shingles on my left butt cheek in 1968 while in college. Very nasty stuff...the left cheek looked like a piece of raw meat for several weeks and healed very slowly. There wasn't a lot that could be done back then except apply a lot of Neosporin and try to keep air on it...hard to do when you need to go class. Droopy drawers weren't popular back then!

Last edited by Pluto; 06-15-12 at 06:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-15-12, 08:26 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Liked 299 Times in 250 Posts
I got a rather mild case when I was in my late 30's. My wife is a nurse and she recognized the symptoms, so I got on the meds very early in the episode. I think that helped a lot. It was mostly confined to one side of my rib cage. I remember it was somewhat painful but not all that bad of a deal. Guess I was lucky.
Old 06-16-12, 05:14 AM
nuttygrandma

Bikes: Giant Sedona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Ask DnvrFox about shingles. His thread about this made me call and get an appointment to get my vaccine. Coming up soon. Sorry to hear you got shingles, everything I have heard makes me shiver. Bad stuff, that.

Bill
OMG, Rite Aid has a big sign outside their building that they have the vaccine and can administer it, just like when they offer flu vaccine clinics. It's drive-thru medical care around here. Don't even need to see your physician but then, getting in to see your physician, can take up to 2 months. We just had a major mass exidious of physician who have left the area due to being tired of government mandates of how they practice. I think I'll just go live in a bubble and stay healthy.

Last edited by nuttygrandma; 06-16-12 at 06:06 AM. Reason: removed what might be considered offensive/political
Old 06-16-12, 05:50 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by nuttygrandma
OMG, Rite Aid has a big sign outside their building that they have the vaccine and can administer it, just like when they offer flu vaccine clinics. It's drive-thru medical care around here. Don't even need to see your physician but then, due to Obamacare, getting in to see your physician, can take up to 2 months. We just had a major mass exidious of physician who have left the area due to being tired of government mandates of how they practice. I think I'll just go live in a bubble and stay healthy.
1. I believe that depends on your state laws about who can give shots.

2. Let's keep politics out of the thread.
Old 06-16-12, 05:35 PM
rubic
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The shingles vaccine is not recommended, by the AMA, until your 60th birthday. The political stuff, mentioned above, is just noise.
Old 08-28-12, 06:24 PM
Boudicca
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reviving an old(ish) thread to ask if anyone has any suggestions for the pain. Docs initially diagnosed the rash on my neck as poison ivy, but changed their minds yesterday after I went back and complained of biting, burning pain. It's like someone dragged a hot knife under my skin, and sleep comes, if at all, in 20 minute increments.

Rash is half way around my neck, from spine to breastbone and it's still spreading down my arm, despite retrovirals and antibiotics (for a secondary infection). See the doc again on Thursday, if I can hold out that long.
Old 08-28-12, 07:03 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Liked 667 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Boudicca
Reviving an old(ish) thread to ask if anyone has any suggestions for the pain. Docs initially diagnosed the rash on my neck as poison ivy, but changed their minds yesterday after I went back and complained of biting, burning pain. It's like someone dragged a hot knife under my skin, and sleep comes, if at all, in 20 minute increments.

Rash is half way around my neck, from spine to breastbone and it's still spreading down my arm, despite retrovirals and antibiotics (for a secondary infection). See the doc again on Thursday, if I can hold out that long.
Oww! I have no solutions to offer, only sympathy and best wishes for a swift recovery. Hope someone can offer up a suggestion to help you deal with the pain. The doctor had no remedy?
Old 08-28-12, 07:34 PM
Boudicca
Conquer Cancer rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
She didn't want to blast my body with three drugs at the same time (she gave me retrovirals and antibiotics, even though she admitted it's probably too late for the retrovirals) and suggested over the counter stuff for pain. It's not really cutting it.

What I really want is a 2-week coma, and clear skin when I emerge.
Old 08-28-12, 07:37 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

She didn't want to blast my body with three drugs at the same time (she gave me retrovirals and antibiotics, even though she admitted it's probably too late for the retrovirals) and suggested over the counter stuff for pain. It's not really cutting it.

My wife takes 3 morphine sulfates (15mg) each day. She recently had a phenol nerve block (T4 - T8) - we are hoping it will bring relief. It's been 7 years now.
Old 08-28-12, 07:55 PM
Boudicca
Conquer Cancer rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
B
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
My wife takes 3 morphine sulfates (15mg) each day. She recently had a phenol nerve block (T4 - T8) - we are hoping it will bring relief. It's been 7 years now.
Yeeks.

My sympathies.
Old 08-28-12, 08:07 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Your doctor, or some other practitioner, needs to help you with something that will take care of your pain - there are drugs for that. Not sure about the 2-week coma, though.
Old 08-28-12, 08:11 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Originally Posted by JanMM
The vaccine should either prevent or lessen the severity of an outbreak.
On my list of things to do soon.
Got my shingles vaccination a month after that post. My employer, a hospital system, and it's health insurance and retail pharmacy system finally got it together so that we can get the vaccine from the pharmacy with no out-of-pocket cost. Administered by a pharmacist.
Old 08-28-12, 09:25 PM
waldowales
Old Fogy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had shingles maybe 12 or 14 years ago. I still have scars on my chest and abdomen, and I had excruciating pains in my arms for several months. I NEED to get that vaccine!
Old 08-29-12, 05:54 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Denver,
I really hope the doctors can help Mrs. Nora, she has had such a difficult time with this virus and its lasting effects. Thank you for alerting me to the vaccine, we get ours in 2 weeks from a business client of Monica's, and she is with you on the necessity for getting this vaccine. Wasn't the age recommendation lowered to 50 Y.O. a few months back?

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-29-12, 06:31 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Denver,
I really hope the doctors can help Mrs. Nora, she has had such a difficult time with this virus and its lasting effects. Thank you for alerting me to the vaccine, we get ours in 2 weeks from a business client of Monica's, and she is with you on the necessity for getting this vaccine. Wasn't the age recommendation lowered to 50 Y.O. a few months back?

Bill
It depends on who you ask,

We got the vaccine for our son with the severe disability when he was 43, upon doctors orders. The ONLY reason it is not recommended for younger populations is that it has not been oficially studied in those populations and shingles is typically a disease of older folks. However, I had shingles in my 40's.

Are you under a lot of stress? Nutrition a bit bad? Run down?
Old 08-29-12, 06:44 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Run down, not at all, nutrition is the best I have done in many, many years due to management of the CFR and only stress is about the CFR and making sure I do things correctly to manage it. we are getting the vaccine, many local friends have had shingles lately and we do not want to go through what you and Mrs. Nora have had to deal with.

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.