Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Speedometer is asking for circumference value in mm?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Speedometer is asking for circumference value in mm?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-12, 03:33 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
p.s. Mark the tire? Just use the valve stem. When you are dealing with a rollout in the 2000mm area you have a lot of leeway - a few mm's don't matter.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 09-07-12 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-07-12, 03:59 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Liked 1,095 Times in 725 Posts
Are you riding a bike or running a metrology lab? Since GPS and your computer measure distance using different methods they will never agree exactly. Rough or uneven road surfaces will make the wheel travel a farther distance than what GPS measures (to great precision I might add). Both are correct within their own frame of reference. Just take cnybikeman's advice and adjust your circumference setting and ride your bike. You are already at about 5% accuracy; make an adjustment once and call it good. If you keep comparing them and readjusting you will spend all of your time obsessing over the "correct" value instead of enjoying your ride.
Old 09-07-12, 04:30 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Absolutely right. I maybe made the mistake of assuming that folks would figure that out and ride the bike outdoors. Of course, if you live an an apartment building with long straight tiled hallways, you can do it there and let the janitor clean up after you.
Yep... bit of a nitpick I know but especially since someone else mentioned using dog poo as a marker I just had visions of where that one might lead...

When I was young I had a part time job delivering groceries. There was another person who rode a bike, and after hours we'd have parimutual track races inside. Riding competitively on a flat linoleum track teaches bike handling, especially the day after they wax the floors.
Reminds me of the Far Side cartoon defining luposlipaphobia (with illustration) as "the fear of being chased around the kitchen table by timber wolves while wearing socks on a freshly waxed floor"
Old 09-08-12, 04:16 AM
Bob Nichols

Bikes: Trek 7.5 FX, Trek Navigator 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
342X2X3.147 = 2152.5 on my calculator. Also Pi is 3.142 rounded to 3 places - 3.14159 to five places. 342X2X3.14159=2149. This is really insignificant but I'm and engineer and can't help it.Ha!

I think the most accurate method is the roll out method, with the rider on the bike. Even doing this though the rolling circumference will change depending on temperature and tire pressure changes. The best way is to ride a known distance and calculate the percent difference of your odometer reading. This percent could then be applied to the value entered for the circumference. Highway mile markers could be used, but they are not always accurate. No matter what is done there is always doing to be some error.

Originally Posted by Scrockern8r
This will get you really close if a rollout of the wheel measurement seems inconvenient.
Measure from the center of the axle to the outer radius of the tire. Where the rubber hits the road. Maybe reduce that number by a couple of mm to account for tire squish while riding.
Multiply that measurement, times Pie, times 2.
So, here's an example.
(Radius)x(2)x(Pie)
342x2x3.147=2155
Radius=342
Pie=3.147
Old 09-08-12, 11:37 PM
Hendo252 

Bikes: 1983 Trek 620, 2010 Roubaix

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any of the rollout tests or formulas will work plenty well.

BUT -- the lazy man's approach is to google "bicycle tire circumference"

You'll get many hits; the first is a link to Sheldon Brown's discussion on the topic, which includes a table showing the data.

I'll save you the trouble:
https://sheldonbrown.com/cyclecomputer-calibration.html

(HINT: ignore the "group" descriptions at the top of the table and instead look at the bottom of the table to interpret the columns. The circumference in mm is the far right column)

Or you can follow the other links and get to similar (but often slightly different) results. But they are all close enough.

You can tweak the setting later if you choose, but don't fret a couple of percent error...

-TH
Old 09-09-12, 01:41 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Liked 1,324 Times in 911 Posts
Don't forget to allow for tire pressure, temperature and moon phase.