Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling addict

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-12, 04:28 PM
GrandaddyBiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hyhuu
It's great to hear you got yourself a good woman. But your last paragrapgh is self-contradictory.
No it’s not. If my wife did not join with me in any of my endeavors she would still meet my definition of a good woman. For example there was a time when Golf was my main interest. I took lessons form a Pro twice a week for a year (that was so many years ago I can’t remember the guy’s name). However, I could not get my wife to even try it. Because my wife has never swung a golf club in her life and refuses to do so, does not mean that she contradicts my definition of a good woman.

When I look back on my life I have made a lot of money and have spent a lot of money pursuing hobbies. Of all the things I have done, none of them were more fun than playing with my grandchildren and playing with my grandchildren is free.
Old 09-07-12, 08:55 AM
Aeolis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just An update: she had a friend who was getting a
married in ten days and I guess she ended up hooking up with her friends fiancé now the wedding is called off. So it turns out tthat my cycling had nothing to do with it and she's just a bad person. Ok well gonna go try out mmy new speedplays
Old 09-08-12, 09:33 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by Aeolis
married in ten days and I guess she ended up hooking up with her friends fiancé now the wedding is called off. So it turns out tthat my cycling had nothing to do with it and she's just a bad person. Ok well gonna go try out mmy new speedplays
Sounds like you dodged a bullet there! Cycling and bicycles are definitely the better choice!
Old 09-08-12, 07:52 PM
AdamSean

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
An ex-girlfriend a few years back told me I spend more time on my bike than with her. I feel you. A good woman is hard to find. But I believe that a good woman understands and supports one's passions. Maybe even join in them. When we broke up, I told her 2 things:
1) "Cycling was here before you and it will be here after you."
2) "Cycling demands a lot from me, but it will never CHEAT on me."
Old 09-08-12, 08:20 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Liked 464 Times in 293 Posts
Take it from a guy who has been married for a lot longer than you've been around.

Ideally you should both share a "respect" for each other's hobbies. You dont have to share the same hobbies (that's nice but not always feasible). As long as you give each other room to enjoy your hobbies that's all you can ask.

Also, balance in life is important. If ridng your bike (or whatever you do) keeps you from spending quality time together, you will have problems.

In my case, the fact that my wife and I enjoy different activities makes life's journey richer and more interesting.

You are young, use this "down time" as an opportunity for some introspection and self-development. Grow as a person and don't be in too much of a hurry to hook up again.

Good luck!

NOTE: I just read your update. I agree with Macka...you dodged a bullet there!
Old 09-08-12, 10:03 PM
flippinsweet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Was this the problem?
Old 09-10-12, 01:16 PM
danmc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flippinsweet

Was this the problem?
I see a problem...the dude should zip up the tent in case it starts raining.
Old 09-10-12, 08:54 PM
knobd

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GrandaddyBiker
When I go to bed at night, I have never had a desire to cuddle up to my bicycle but my woman, yes. When things are going wrong my bike has never whispered in my ear, “it ok sweetheart, everything is going to be ok”.

I am fortunate in that my wife has followed me in most all my hobbies. When I started flying my wife wanted to take flying lessons too so I got her into my flying club. When I got into scuba my wife made many a trip to Florida to do cave diving right alongside me. When I went deer hunting, I would be in my tree stand with my 270 Win and she would be in another stand with her 243 Win. If I were ever faced with the situation of having to make a choice between any of my hobbies or my wife, I would choose her.

The fact that my wife does not discourage me from pursuing what I want to do is not what makes her a good woman. My definition of a “good” woman is someone who knows the real me with all my faults and loves me anyway. You can’t put a price on that, at least I can’t.
This is true to a certain extent and I love my wife more than anything but for me nothing makes the world right and relieves stress more than hammering out a 40 or 50 mile ride all by myself.
Old 09-11-12, 07:34 AM
cderalow

Bikes: 2012 GT Transeo 3 2014 Cannondale CAAD 10 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When we first met she was enthusiastic about riding wwith me, I even bought her a good fitting bike. As time went on however she was more interested in partying and gettin messed up all the time. We're younger so it's different but I still wasn't cool with it and just prefered to do my own thing most of the time(ride mmy bike).

Some people like to stay in shshape and go to bed at 11pm and some want to smoke weed everyday and get wasted. I admit that I need to make more of an effort to have a normal 23 year old life but
im happy with what I'm doing right now. Looks like I'll have to sstart hitting the MUP again looking for a gal on a roadie

What you really need to do is to stop dating girls from that area, and move to somewhere a little less craptastic (note, I grew up a town over in Bristol, moving away for college and the real world was the best decision I ever made)
Old 09-11-12, 07:58 AM
GrandaddyBiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flippinsweet

Was this the problem?
The first time that dude wants some loving, that girl should tell him to
go see his bike.
Old 09-11-12, 08:18 AM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Ouch! Right out of a soap opera!
Old 09-11-12, 10:24 AM
YazzaWatz

Bikes: Carrera Tanneri ltd cyclocross 2015 black

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I started to spend my weekends cycling, my girlfriend was a bit angry at me that I spend weekends on the road instead with her since we work in different cities and the weekends are actually the only time we see each other. So I said to her: "go get your old bike and come with me". And so she did. At first few rides, she complained. But after about a month I told her that her legs and butt look much firmer now

The next day she went to buy a new bike and now she rides with me every weekend
Old 09-11-12, 10:33 AM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by YazzaWatz
When I started to spend my weekends cycling, my girlfriend was a bit angry at me that I spend weekends on the road instead with her since we work in different cities and the weekends are actually the only time we see each other. So I said to her: "go get your old bike and come with me". And so she did. At first few rides, she complained. But after about a month I told her that her legs and butt look much firmer now

+1
Old 09-11-12, 11:13 AM
Flying Merkel

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
A good friend of started dating a guy who is seriously into mountain biking. He always had to go on big rides on the weekends. During the week, his workout schedule came first. She was third in his life, behind the bike and his dog.

She is 5'2", platinum blonde with an amazing figure and a sweet face. it's all natural. Very intelligent, she's a millionaire by her own efforts. Got a great job & investment property of her own. And she's a nice person just to be around.

This guy blew it. She moved on.
Old 09-11-12, 11:23 AM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by YazzaWatz

Sneaky! But if both of you like it and are healthier... hard to see any downside... backside... ah, whatever...