Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

63 yr old Bicyclist killed, struck by truck Dorchester MA

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-12, 01:51 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts

it was 12:30 am. a heck of a time to be out on your bike

https://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/490305...ews-boston_ma/

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/09/1...sey-boulevard/
Old 09-14-12, 01:53 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Sad. Some people like to go out in the middle of the night because they're little traffic. You have the visibility tradeoff, of course.
Old 09-14-12, 01:56 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 176 Posts
This is in no way a commentary on this driver, or this story, but I'm always afraid of the bar crowd and drunks driving at that time period. Some folks work late and bike home - others like riding at night. I don't think the cyclist riding at night should be an issue if he had adequate lighting.
Old 09-14-12, 02:59 PM
Commodus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The cyclist didn't hurt anybody, and the truck driver killed a guy. Seems to me it's more like a "heck of a time" to be driving a truck.
Old 09-14-12, 03:32 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
I don't think the cyclist riding at night should be an issue if he had adequate lighting.
Yes, Bright lighting, and bright colored clothing.
Old 09-14-12, 04:57 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,592 Times in 1,074 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
Yes, Bright lighting, and bright colored clothing.
How "bright", do you think bright clothing is when there is little ambient light?
Old 09-14-12, 10:47 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
How "bright", do you think bright clothing is when there is little ambient light?
Since all vehicles are required to have headlights, I should think ANSI Class 3 reflective gear would qualify as bright. Of course a cyclist should also have reflectors that move, like reflective ankle straps or pedal reflectors.

As far as low ambient light levels go, it's really not the level of brightness of the clothing, or reflective gear, that counts. It's the contrast it provides against the surroundings. For that reason, a properly lit and reflectorized (is that a word?) cyclist is much easier to see by a properly driving and equipped motorist in pitch black surroundings than along a Las Vegas Strip of flashing lights.
Old 09-15-12, 08:15 AM
mprelaw

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
This is in no way a commentary on this driver, or this story, but I'm always afraid of the bar crowd and drunks driving at that time period. Some folks work late and bike home - others like riding at night. I don't think the cyclist riding at night should be an issue if he had adequate lighting.
How do you know that the cyclist wasn't coming back from a bar himself? Some guys lose their licenses after an OUI and get around on a bike. It's actually pretty common up here. It's absolutely legal to ride a bike 3 sheets to the wind in Massachusetts.
Old 09-15-12, 08:59 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Since all vehicles are required to have headlights, I should think ANSI Class 3 reflective gear would qualify as bright. Of course a cyclist should also have reflectors that move, like reflective ankle straps or pedal reflectors.

As far as low ambient light levels go, it's really not the level of brightness of the clothing, or reflective gear, that counts. It's the contrast it provides against the surroundings. For that reason, a properly lit and reflectorized (is that a word?) cyclist is much easier to see by a properly driving and equipped motorist in pitch black surroundings than along a Las Vegas Strip of flashing lights.
Agree, reflectors and/or "reflectorized" clothing are useful when other vehicles' headlights are on. Lights are always useful

"Bright" clothing does not mean "reflective" clothing. Nor is it "bright" in low light conditions.

Perhaps "bright clothing" is appropriate in some night spots but don't expect much from it at night when riding a bike.
Old 09-15-12, 11:25 AM
telkanuru

Bikes: Trek 720 (touring, 1981 (?) model); Trek 7.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mprelaw
How do you know that the cyclist wasn't coming back from a bar himself? Some guys lose their licenses after an OUI and get around on a bike. It's actually pretty common up here. It's absolutely legal to ride a bike 3 sheets to the wind in Massachusetts.
I'd say it's even unlikely that the term "cyclist" as conventionally used holds for the victim. Boston has a large amount of the slow-on-the-sidewalk-peddling-MTB-with-seatpost-all-the-way-down types, which is a profile significantly more likely to not be seen by a driver, particularly at night and at street crossings.
Old 09-15-12, 01:11 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by telkanuru
I'd say it's even unlikely that the term "cyclist" as conventionally used holds for the victim. Boston has a large amount of the slow-on-the-sidewalk-peddling-MTB-with-seatpost-all-the-way-down types, which is a profile significantly more likely to not be seen by a driver, particularly at night and at street crossings.
Huh? How is the term "cyclist" used conventionally so as not to include the victim or the large amount of of the slow-on-the-sidewalk-peddling-MTB-with-seatpost-all-the-way-down types? Used "conventionally" by whom - Some special types?
Old 09-15-12, 02:25 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by mprelaw
I don't think you read what I wrote. You did read into what I wrote.

I have no idea what happened, nor would I speculate. What I said was that riding at 12:30am in and of itself shouldn't be an issue IF the cyclist was riding in an intelligent, responsible manner. I have no idea if he was or not - but the OPs post seemed to indicate that riding at that time was itself an indicator of cyclist error. I disagree...there are perfectly logical reasons for riding at that time. Was he at error? No idea. Was the truck in error? No idea.

I rode home from work on a bike at 1-2am pretty regularly when I was younger and bar tending. I did so sober and responsibly. Riding a bike while drinking isn't legal here - and can get you a DUI. I doubt it's enforced much, but it is possible.
Old 09-15-12, 02:56 PM
telkanuru

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Huh? How is the term "cyclist" used conventionally so as not to include the victim or the large amount of of the slow-on-the-sidewalk-peddling-MTB-with-seatpost-all-the-way-down types? Used "conventionally" by whom - Some special types?
Man, I didn't expect an unnecessary, nitpicky post from you. Way to step outside your comfort zone.

Shockingly, I know where this goes next, too. I state what I believe the conventional use of "cyclist" is, you dismiss it as unsupported, and you score another point for noting once again that all knowledge is, at its foundations, uncertain. Bravo you.

Get a hobby.
Old 09-15-12, 03:07 PM
myrridin
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man, I didn't expect an unnecessary, nitpicky post from you. Way to step outside your comfort zone.

Shockingly, I know where this goes next, too. I state what I believe the conventional use of "cyclist" is, you dismiss it as unsupported, and you score another point for noting once again that all knowledge is, at its foundations, uncertain. Bravo you.

Get a hobby.
For a newby, you do seem to have the right attitude to fit in here very well...
Old 09-15-12, 03:10 PM
myrridin
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Since all vehicles are required to have headlights, ...
Assuming of course that MA is one of those states where bicycles are considered vehicles and that cyclists have all of the same rights and responsibilities, wouldn't that mean that lights would also have been required on the bike?

It would seem the question about bicycles being vehicles is irrelevant,
  • You must have your headlight and taillight on if you are riding anytime from 1/2 hour after sunset until 1/2 hour before sunrise.
  • You must wear reflectors on both ankles if there are no reflectors on your pedals.
https://massbike.org/resourcesnew/bike-law/
Old 09-15-12, 05:21 PM
Zaneluke

Bikes: Trek Y-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very sad. I feel bad for both the bike rider and driver of the truck.
Old 09-15-12, 06:02 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Here is where it goes: IMO, only sanctimonious jackdonkeys believe that "cyclists" are an exclusive club made up only of people like themselves, while those other "types" are not worthy of being considered as "cyclists." If that is not what you meant or believe, maybe you can answer the question asked previously in post #11 instead of getting all smarmy.

Nitpicky, shmicky. You believe, or at least post as if you believe bicycling snobbery is a virtue.
Old 09-15-12, 06:14 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,100 Posts
Dusk, Night, Dawn, Noon... Man I have nearly been run over numerous times...

But it does seam to be a little bit easier to ride the road than 40 years ago...

Someone loosing their life on a ride is a sad thing...
Old 09-15-12, 06:19 PM
telkanuru

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is where it goes: IMO, only sanctimonious jackdonkeys believe that "cyclists" are an exclusive club made up only of people like themselves, while those other "types" are not worthy of being considered as "cyclists." If that is not what you meant or believe, maybe you can answer the question asked previously in post #11 instead of getting all smarmy.

Nitpicky, shmicky. You believe, or at least post as if you believe bicycling snobbery is a virtue.
I have done none of these things. You infer much too much. The understanding that I intended to provide in my post was that the idea that goes through my mind (and I suspect others) when I hear "cyclist" is not necessarily in tune with the reality of many of the people who ride, though the term "cyclist" really does apply to both. It was therefore an attempt to note that much of the discussion above (visibility, etc.) might have little relevance whose usual habit is walking-speed peddling on the sidewalk. In other words, in the discussion above it seemed to me that many assumed the person who was hit was a 'commuter' the same way they themselves would be a 'commuter', which is not necessarily an accurate depiction of the situation.

Perhaps, if you don't want a terse answer to a question, you shouldn't be terse when you ask it.

Last edited by CbadRider; 09-16-12 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Edited inappropriate comment
Old 09-15-12, 06:39 PM
Spld cyclist

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have done none of these things. You infer much too much. The understanding that I intended to provide in my post was that the idea that goes through my mind (and I suspect others) when I hear "cyclist" is not necessarily in tune with the reality of many of the people who ride, though the term "cyclist" really does apply to both. It was therefore an attempt to note that much of the discussion above (visibility, etc.) might have little relevance whose usual habit is walking-speed peddling on the sidewalk. In other words, in the discussion above it seemed to me that many assumed the person who was hit was a 'commuter' the same way they themselves would be a 'commuter', which is not necessarily an accurate depiction of the situation.

Perhaps, if you don't want a terse answer to a question, you shouldn't be terse when you ask it.
telkanuru,

Some words of advice: Just ignore that guy.

Last edited by CbadRider; 09-16-12 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Edited quoted post
Old 09-15-12, 06:42 PM
telkanuru

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spld cyclist
telkanuru,

Some words of advice: Just ignore that guy.
Old 09-15-12, 07:13 PM
Seano Hermano

Bikes: 1983 Panasonic DX-2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. That is sad to see. :-/

I wonder if the cyclist had lights on his bike by chance.

Edit: Didn't realize others had posted...guess that answered my question.
Old 09-17-12, 09:38 AM
neg

Bikes: Secteur Apex, Trek 6000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"charges of motor vehicle homicide while driving drunk, operating to endanger and speeding"
Old 09-17-12, 09:44 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

I'm amazed he stayed...usually drunks are long gone. Once you hit mid-night, it's drunk time.
Old 09-17-12, 09:47 AM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
It usually takes more than one post to blame the cyclist but you were able to do that right off the bat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.