Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

My new 1998 GT STS-1000 full suspension - carbon/aluminum

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

My new 1998 GT STS-1000 full suspension - carbon/aluminum

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-12, 11:44 AM
chadwebster

Bikes: Centurion Ironman Expert, Bianchi Sport SX, SR Pro Racing, Vitus 979, Cannondale mountain bike, Schwinn Prologue TT Bike, Litespeed Tuscany, Principia Rex Pro (frame broke), Rossin (model unknown), Litespeed Classic, Schwinn prelude

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mystolenbikes
So you basically bought a mountain bike version of this car. Congratulations.

I will agree that the GT does not have alot of replacement parts available and that may be a problem down the road. However, I think equating the OP's new bike to a POS car or saying he should have saved up for a bike from Target is a little rude and uncalled for. Those are the posts I was refering to when I mentioned the term "Haters".
Old 09-21-12, 11:51 AM
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad

Bikes: Blur LT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chadwebster
...... is a little rude and uncalled for.
No way.......here? PF.
Old 09-21-12, 11:52 AM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Besides, it was probably more like this version:

Gremlin Xs rawk.
Old 09-21-12, 05:21 PM
owenmyers

Bikes: Fondriest, 86 Team Fuji

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Haha thanks for the support. I'm going to keep all of the components and sell the frame to buy a new one. It's a little too big and i was planning on jumping it. I'm looking for a 17" hardtail preferably aluminum. No matter how much the GT sells for, I want to spend about $300 on a new frame. Thanks!
Old 09-21-12, 05:28 PM
MC Hank
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by owenmyers
Haha thanks for the support. I'm going to keep all of the components and sell the frame to buy a new one. It's a little too big and i was planning on jumping it. I'm looking for a 17" hardtail preferably aluminum. No matter how much the GT sells for, I want to spend about $300 on a new frame. Thanks!
Support?

How did you get permission to build in Hidden Valley?
Old 09-21-12, 06:34 PM
mystolenbikes

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chadwebster
I will agree that the GT does not have alot of replacement parts available and that may be a problem down the road. However, I think equating the OP's new bike to a POS car or saying he should have saved up for a bike from Target is a little rude and uncalled for. Those are the posts I was refering to when I mentioned the term "Haters".
lol I'm a hater because I speak the truth? man that bike is a POS whether you like my comment or not it is the truth. I'm not here to blow a smoke up anyone's ass.
Old 09-22-12, 03:15 PM
owenmyers

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
lol I'm a hater because I speak the truth? man that bike is a POS whether you like my comment or not it is the truth. I'm not here to blow a smoke up anyone's ass.
We all know your opinion. You only stated it about 5 times. I've never had permission to build any dirt jump in my life. I live right next to hidden valley and have been building there forever. They come through and tear all the jumps out once a year, but for some reason the hobos that do heroin and leave their needles everywhere are allowed to stay. Messed up world.
Old 09-22-12, 03:17 PM
magohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm guessing your on the young side my friend. Life has a lot to teach you - hold onto your hat.
Old 09-22-12, 04:00 PM
mystolenbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We all know your opinion. You only stated it about 5 times. I've never had permission to build any dirt jump in my life. I live right next to hidden valley and have been building there forever. They come through and tear all the jumps out once a year, but for some reason the hobos that do heroin and leave their needles everywhere are allowed to stay. Messed up world.
Sorry brother I wasn't trying to be mean.

But back in it's day model T was the most advanced car ever but now it's just an old technology. I kind of see your bike the same way

Originally Posted by magohn
I'm guessing your on the young side my friend. Life has a lot to teach you - hold onto your hat.

Thanks for the complement but I just turned 40 and I have two kids.
Old 09-22-12, 04:11 PM
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
gt sts

$275- ride it till it stops working, then get something newer.

I have one I got back in 98'.
Old 09-24-12, 06:05 AM
Groundoggy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry brother I wasn't trying to be mean.

But back in it's day model T was the most advanced car ever but now it's just an old technology. I kind of see your bike the same way

...but how many heads are going to turn to look at that model T versus a 2012 Kia? Mid 90's MTB's have a special place in the hearts of many riders. Many were built in the USA and the products suffered after companies got bought by bigger fish and production was moved overseas. Since we're making car analogies I tend to view that era as the 'muscle car' era for MTB's and everything now is sort of lame and metrosexual in comparison.

Still, the bike was made for XC and not jumping. Wouldn't recommend any 14 year old MTB for jumping. That particular design might be especially prone to failure given the many small pivot points.

I'd have probably kept the 94 Zaskar since that is the Camaro of MTB's. A true classic and timeless frame. Sure beats the Hyundai bikes of today you might find the pedicured set riding down to the local park to give free anonymous BJ's.
Old 09-24-12, 01:41 PM
mystolenbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Groundoggy
...but how many heads are going to turn to look at that model T versus a 2012 Kia? Mid 90's MTB's have a special place in the hearts of many riders. Many were built in the USA and the products suffered after companies got bought by bigger fish and production was moved overseas. Since we're making car analogies I tend to view that era as the 'muscle car' era for MTB's and everything now is sort of lame and metrosexual in comparison.

Still, the bike was made for XC and not jumping. Wouldn't recommend any 14 year old MTB for jumping. That particular design might be especially prone to failure given the many small pivot points.

I'd have probably kept the 94 Zaskar since that is the Camaro of MTB's. A true classic and timeless frame. Sure beats the Hyundai bikes of today you might find the pedicured set riding down to the local park to give free anonymous BJ's.

I see you completely missed the point. That model T is going to turn heads when it's doing 10mph on a scenic route sunday morning but it will not last a lap on a race track pushed beyond it's limits. Same goes for the OP's bike. I'm sure it'll be a great conversation starter on a local fire road during leisurely climb or a descent but it will not be useful for anything more than that.

And on the race track that classic camaro of yours with bias ply tires will get spanked by that hyundai all day long. Same goes for the today's bikes. There is so much technology goes in to the them that regardless of country of origin they are much much better bikes compared to the bikes from the 80's and 90's

What's so funny is the classic bike lovers are so quick to get bent out of shape as soon as someone says their beloved classic bikes are nothing but an old technology. You need to relax.

And maybe you like to get blow jobs from your buddies while you are out in the wild but not me. When I go out, I go out to ride. Also, I don't know where you came up with the idea of me living near a well manicured bike parks but where I ride there isn't much of a manicuring going on.

Old 09-24-12, 03:01 PM
owenmyers

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This thread is getting violent.

New bikes are good but they are not meant to last 20+ Years. Vintage bikes are living proof that they were built using better materials and manufactured with quality, handmade. It really depends on what you'r looking for in a bike. Your bike might win a race or two because of how light it is. But when you go to jump it after it has been sitting in your attic for 5 years, good luck to you and your broken bike. My Specialized FSR ltd. will probably last a lifetime and your new carbon Trek, I'll give it 10 years. Sure my GT is crappy, that's why I'm getting rid of it. But it's hard not to see the innovation and thought put into the bike. It was really as good as it could be in 98.
Old 09-24-12, 04:09 PM
mystolenbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New bikes are good but they are not meant to last 20+ Years. Vintage bikes are living proof that they were built using better materials and manufactured with quality, handmade. It really depends on what you'r looking for in a bike. Your bike might win a race or two because of how light it is. But when you go to jump it after it has been sitting in your attic for 5 years, good luck to you and your broken bike. My Specialized FSR ltd. will probably last a lifetime and your new carbon Trek, I'll give it 10 years. Sure my GT is crappy, that's why I'm getting rid of it. But it's hard not to see the innovation and thought put into the bike. It was really as good as it could be in 98.
LOL Thread is not getting violent. If anything it's getting fun.

How did you come up with that if you hang your bike in an attic for five years it's going to break once you ride it idea? Hell you can beat the crap out of your new bike for five years and it will still ride fine five years later. I mean yes you are going to replace the usual wear and tear parts but as far as the frame goes it'll be just fine. Specially the aluminum frames. Why would it deteriorate? Most manufacturers give life time frame warranty with their new bikes because they know unless there is some kind of a defect those frames will outlast anything you can throw on them.

First 30 seconds of this video should give you some idea about how well the today's bikes are built.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WsDQ56_LKQ

Or some of these pictures.

Old 09-25-12, 05:24 AM
Groundoggy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Even a vintage bike was designed to be ridden about 3-5 years tops and discarded. If you are riding an old bike it is probably because you appreciate the bikes and parts of the era or it fits your budget. 15 years ago I pushed my bikes to the limit. Today, not so much. I really don't care for the modern made in Taiwan bikes and 8 inches of travel but I'm not going to go out of my way to crap on other peoples preferences in threads that discuss modern bikes. The many cool aftermarket parts of the 90's due to the cold war ending only enhance the old school experience.

I made a well deserved criticism of somebody who had gone out of their way to crap multiple times all over another persons purchase and bike preferences. Not looking to drag things further into the mud - but sometimes people need to be shocked into realizing their own bad behavior.
Old 09-25-12, 05:37 AM
Groundoggy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Serious question for the modern bike fans - Do you think these modern bikes will have any value at all in 15 years? A modern Hyundai might beat that old Camaro but in 15 years people are still going to love the hell out of that Camaro. That Hyundai is going to be long forgotten. Do you see modern bikes facing a similar barely existent fate?
Old 09-25-12, 07:09 AM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Do you think these modern bikes will have any value at all in 15 years?
Only to nostalgia buffs or people on a budget. Hmmm . . . kinda like the way things are now.

Last edited by dminor; 09-25-12 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-25-12, 11:14 AM
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad

Bikes: Blur LT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome thread!!!!!!
Old 09-25-12, 11:42 AM
mystolenbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even a vintage bike was designed to be ridden about 3-5 years tops and discarded. If you are riding an old bike it is probably because you appreciate the bikes and parts of the era or it fits your budget. 15 years ago I pushed my bikes to the limit. Today, not so much. I really don't care for the modern made in Taiwan bikes and 8 inches of travel but I'm not going to go out of my way to crap on other peoples preferences in threads that discuss modern bikes. The many cool aftermarket parts of the 90's due to the cold war ending only enhance the old school experience.

I made a well deserved criticism of somebody who had gone out of their way to crap multiple times all over another persons purchase and bike preferences. Not looking to drag things further into the mud - but sometimes people need to be shocked into realizing their own bad behavior.

It's an open forum brah. If you don't like to hear people's opinions maybe you shouldn't be here. Op posted his new purchase pictures and asked our opinions. I didn't go out of my way crap on anybody's purchase, I just stated the facts. You didn't like it and that's your problem not mine.

Serious question for the modern bike fans - Do you think these modern bikes will have any value at all in 15 years? A modern Hyundai might beat that old Camaro but in 15 years people are still going to love the hell out of that Camaro. That Hyundai is going to be long forgotten. Do you see modern bikes facing a similar barely existent fate?
You obviously don't follow the new bikes much because I can tell you that 15 years from now today's Yeti 575, specialized stumpjumper, turner 5 spot or the intense tracer will still be loved. And that is only a few out of many outstanding brands.

And enough with the camaro comparo. You old bike will never be a camaro. Today a classic camaro is worth way more than what it was sold for originally, and your classic bike will never worth more than it's original value. You don't believe me? look at craigslist and you'll see adds for hundreds of "classic bikes" for peanut money. Look at OP's bike...new $ 3k now 275 bucks and dropping.

Originally Posted by mtnbiker66
Awesome thread!!!!!!
It is indeed.
Old 09-25-12, 11:58 AM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
. . . and your classic bike will never worth more than it's original value.
Hey, my pristine Schwinn Traveler is worth at least TWICE the $5 I paid for it at a moving sale!
Old 09-25-12, 12:57 PM
mystolenbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dminor
Hey, my pristine Schwinn Traveler is worth at least TWICE the $5 I paid for it at a moving sale!
I said original value not garage sale value.
Old 09-26-12, 01:59 AM
Groundoggy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's an open forum brah. If you don't like to hear people's opinions maybe you shouldn't be here. Op posted his new purchase pictures and asked our opinions. I didn't go out of my way crap on anybody's purchase, I just stated the facts. You didn't like it and that's your problem not mine.
I never said you COULDN'T express your opinion over and over and over again, I was merely pointing out that only a certain type of person would feel compelled to do so. So, that IS your problem and not mine, Brah.

You obviously don't follow the new bikes much because I can tell you that 15 years from now today's Yeti 575, specialized stumpjumper, turner 5 spot or the intense tracer will still be loved. And that is only a few out of many outstanding brands.
...and that pretty much destroys your own argument for criticizing old MTB's, Brah. But no, a 2012 Stumpjumper isn't going to be more valuable than a 1990 Stumpjumper in 15 years.

And enough with the camaro comparo. You old bike will never be a camaro. Today a classic camaro is worth way more than what it was sold for originally, and your classic bike will never worth more than it's original value. You don't believe me? look at craigslist and you'll see adds for hundreds of "classic bikes" for peanut money. Look at OP's bike...new $ 3k now 275 bucks and dropping.
My first bike (a non coveted steel GT Karakorum K2) which I threw on a bunch of aftermarket parts I am sure I could break apart and break even today. I had about $2K in the bike then and I buy these parts on eBay all the time. I know what I could get reselling them.

...and it was YOU who started with the car comparisons so stop whining about my decision to follow up on the theme. It's an internet forum so if you don't want to hear other people repeating your comparisons then you shouldn't be here, Brah.

It is indeed.
There's that metrosexual stank again. Real men don't shave their legs, Brah.

Last edited by Groundoggy; 09-26-12 at 02:16 AM.
Old 09-26-12, 02:02 AM
Groundoggy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dminor
Maybe if you actually RODE bikes instead of buying your lame Schwinn's to be garage queens people might give a damn what you thought.

You sure you want a piece? Your game is seriously lacking. Best you leave this to the grown ups, Jr. Let your boyfriend fight his own battles. Your 'me too' game is kind of tired.
Old 09-26-12, 02:22 AM
scrublover
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

Bikes: hardtail, squishy, fixed roadie, fixed crosser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe if you actually RODE bikes instead of buying your lame Schwinn's to be garage queens people might give a damn what you thought.

You sure you want a piece? Your game is seriously lacking. Best you leave this to the grown ups, Jr. Let your boyfriend fight his own battles. Your 'me too' game is kind of tired.

I take issue with that - pretty sure you're not older than dminor.
Old 10-18-12, 12:55 PM
Gotte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still got a GT LTS 3000. Had it since '98, and though I haven't really ridden it off road in a few years, I took it out last weekend, and you know, it really was nice to ride. The model I've got was designed more for XC (from memory), and though heavy, I managed to strip the weight a bit, mainly by replacing the triple crown fork. I've never really hammered it with jumps, just used it for trails and the occasional DH, and mainly tootling around town. But it still works fine - never had a problem with the bushes or the rear joints or arms - and feels nice, certainly compared to some I've tried recently. How old is it now - nearly 15 years? and it still turns heads.
Of course, I wouldn't win any races, but I'm 48 now, and not looking to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.