Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Build or Buy ?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Build or Buy ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-12, 09:12 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Liked 936 Times in 544 Posts
Build or Buy ?

First, a little about myself.

My last road bike was purchased approximately 25 years ago (Razesa frame, Cinelli fork, Campy group). I've just started getting back into cycling and I'm tooling around on a very heavy "Comfort" bike and I'm starting to realize I need to upgrade in order to maximize my enjoyment. So I've started to look at bikes online and have been a little shocked at some of the prices I'm seeing. No matter what direction I go I don't want to exceed $2k for a bike.

I have the skills and experience to tackle a build but I'm just not sure which way to go. I'd like a 105 or Ultegra built bike and I'm wrestling with the question of to build or buy. After looking at the prices of the sum of all parts I'm starting to think I may have to mix and match etc.

With that said... Build or buy? I have no problem buying quality used parts in order to bring the cost down.

Thanks,
TMT
Old 09-29-12, 10:38 PM
YOJiMBO20

Bikes: 2010 Litespeed Icon, 1987 Nishiki Olympic 12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It will be hard to get a decent build for under 2 grand if you want Ultegra components, unless you can find some great deals.

Your best bet is probably to put that money into a new bike (there are quite a few nice bikes right around the $2,000 price point) and save money to upgrade the components later on down the line.
Old 09-29-12, 10:47 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
First, a little about myself.

My last road bike was purchased approximately 25 years ago (Razesa frame, Cinelli fork, Campy group). I've just started getting back into cycling and I'm tooling around on a very heavy "Comfort" bike and I'm starting to realize I need to upgrade in order to maximize my enjoyment. So I've started to look at bikes online and have been a little shocked at some of the prices I'm seeing. No matter what direction I go I don't want to exceed $2k for a bike.

I have the skills and experience to tackle a build but I'm just not sure which way to go. I'd like a 105 or Ultegra built bike and I'm wrestling with the question of to build or buy. After looking at the prices of the sum of all parts I'm starting to think I may have to mix and match etc.

With that said... Build or buy? I have no problem buying quality used parts in order to bring the cost down.

Thanks,
TMT
Don't you have to buy to build.
Old 09-29-12, 10:52 PM
aramis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's going to be more expensive to build a bike then buy whole, comparing new parts to new bike or used parts to used bike. You can get pretty nice bikes around 1200-1400 with 105ish stuff new.

If you want to save money you can buy used.
Old 09-29-12, 11:08 PM
jzsoup

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Built is more expensive.
Old 09-30-12, 01:21 AM
deepakvrao

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
If you go with something like a Pedal Force frame or a Chinese frame, you can get a great bike at a very reasonable price.
Old 09-30-12, 07:30 AM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by YOJiMBO20
It will be hard to get a decent build for under 2 grand if you want Ultegra components, unless you can find some great deals.

Your best bet is probably to put that money into a new bike (there are quite a few nice bikes right around the $2,000 price point) and save money to upgrade the components later on down the line.
I'm starting to think it's going to have to be a 105 bike (which would be just fine). Everyone does seem to be correct in that buy a complete bike is going to be the way. I gues my next thread is going to be which 105 bike? lol
Old 09-30-12, 07:36 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Building with a mishmash of used parts is the only way to do a truly cheap build.

Manufacturers -- well, they're mostly "assemblers", using their own frame and putting other companies' parts on it -- get massive component discounts because (A) they buy a LOT, (B) they can buy the parts without their individual packing, and (C) component makers want their parts on bikes, both as an endorsement of their parts and giving buyers the notion that they're "locked-in" to that brand.
Old 09-30-12, 07:37 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I gues my next thread is going to be which 105 bike? lol
Pick a color and go with it.
Old 09-30-12, 08:21 AM
bring

Bikes: Kona Lava Dome, Ross Professional Super Gran Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I gues my next thread is going to be which 105 bike? lol

Why is 105 so much better than Tiagra? Can someone please explain this to me?
Old 09-30-12, 08:43 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Liked 182 Times in 104 Posts
TMT - for which 105 bike get a frame that fits you well. Also think about some of the standards - BB, headset, type of brake, etc - and try and figure out what you want to buy into. Some parts are more tools free, like an integrated headset (standard on most frames now) or certain press fit BB setups.

You'll find that compatible parts work well together across the board. Ultegra works with 105 with DA etc, as long as it's all compatible. The current generation of 10s is all compatible, the older DA was usually different from 105/Ultegra.

You'll also find that the stuff works in general. It's cheaper quality than before but it's designed more efficiently. Think of a car bumper from 25 years ago - it had a lot of trim, a lot of detail work, chrome on the outside, rubber bumper strips, all sorts of stuff. It was very expensive to make. Now a bumper has like 6 parts or something - the outer plastic shell which is carefully molded, a metal frame underneath, some kind of foam shock absorber, a few other pieces. It's cheaper to make the new bumper but it works better. Likewise the parts won't be like your old bike but they'll work much better.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the advances in function in bike stuff. You may not be happy with the stamped steel or plastic parts but the stuff, at least 105 on up, works well.
Old 09-30-12, 11:53 AM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the advances in function in bike stuff. You may not be happy with the stamped steel or plastic parts but the stuff, at least 105 on up, works well.
I have a little time... I'm planning on buying or building something and have it ready by next Spring so I do have some time to research.

To anyone PMing me. I have received a couple of PMs but I can't respond until I get 40 posts or something like that.

TMT
Old 09-30-12, 12:03 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Liked 326 Times in 226 Posts
TMT
The Shimano OEM discount on components is so steep that you can spend less on an "off brand" road bike (including the frame and assembly) than you'd spend on the group and wheels even when you're importing from UK where online retail can be less than US wholesale.

For instance, you could have an Ultegra equipped bike (except for crankset + bottom bracket and brakes) for $795 from Bikes Direct or Ultegra group for $793 from Ribble.

Exceptions exist for

1. Campagnolo. When a Chorus gruppo runs $1200 and you'd have a hard time finding a bike built with such a group which doesn't cost $4000 there's enough room to come out ahead with a custom build on your choice of steel, titanium,aluminum, or carbon frame.

2. Where you have a parts stock pile. I'd only need bars, brakes, and stem to turn a frameset into a bike.

3. Where you do a good job shopping for used parts.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 09-30-12 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-30-12, 12:06 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Buy a bike online with the group set you want then build it out the way you want it.
Old 09-30-12, 02:51 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are willing to search online for deals, you can get a nice bike either way. For example, Performance Bike has the Fuji Altamira with 105 for $1400 pretty nice deal for a carbon pro team geometry type racer. Or if you go ebay, $500 used/NOS aluminum or carbon frame, $850 Ultegra groupset in a box, $400 wheels, and $200 cockpit/pedals gets you a nice bike around $2k or less if you bargain hunt. You'll spend more if you don't have the tools or can't borrow them tho...

Edited to add: I think if you're patient, like to bargain hunt, and enjoy piecing together your bike over time, building would be great. If you prefer to spend your time riding a bike instead, then getting a nice complete bike now lets you get more enjoyment right now. IMHO, as long as you have the fit and gearing that works for you and where you ride, the particular bits and parts are not as important, just my bias...

Last edited by milkbaby; 09-30-12 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-30-12, 03:13 PM
rebel1916

Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts
Stick with Campy, slick!
Old 09-30-12, 04:42 PM
cwk132

Bikes: 2010 Giant Defy 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bring
If I'm not mistaken, the newest 10 speed version Tiagra is essentially the last generation of 105 that had external cable routing (with the little shift indicators, however). I recently switched from the last generation Tiagra (9 speed) and had no complaints about it really. As long as they are well maintained, a lot of the lower tier groupsets are perfectly functional and just a bit heavier. A lot of people say 105 is the lowest you'd want to go for racing and serious riding, but with every new generation of nicer groupsets, the lower level ones take the place of the old generation.

As it has been mentioned, building a bike will probably be more expensive for a multitude of reasons. It can be done cheaper, you just have to hunt for deals. I feel a lot of people who build rather than buy bikes like the option to hand pick every piece that goes into their bike, I plan on doing so once I have the $$$.
Old 09-30-12, 04:44 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bring
The most practical reason is that there are a lot of 10-speed parts out there for replacement and/or upgrades.

When Tiagra was 9-speed (and Sora 8-speed), there wasn't a lot else to put into your drivetrain. I squeezed around this limitation on my Tiagra-equipped commuter when I got a fat 9sp cassette by using a MTB rear derailleur for its extra capacity.
Old 09-30-12, 05:09 PM
bring

Bikes: Kona Lava Dome, Ross Professional Super Gran Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
The most practical reason is that there are a lot of 10-speed parts out there for replacement and/or upgrades.

When Tiagra was 9-speed (and Sora 8-speed), there wasn't a lot else to put into your drivetrain. I squeezed around this limitation on my Tiagra-equipped commuter when I got a fat 9sp cassette by using a MTB rear derailleur for its extra capacity.
My Tiagra has a 10-speed cassette. So everyone's bias is based on the past, not the present....
Old 09-30-12, 07:13 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
Originally Posted by cwk132
A lot of people say 105 is the lowest you'd want to go for racing and serious riding, but with every new generation of nicer groupsets, the lower level ones take the place of the old generation.
I believe that much of the perception that 105 was the minimum had to do with the previous Tiagra being 9-speed, which would seriously limit upgrades and compatibility. With the current Tiagra being 10-speed, that shouldn't be an issue.

Edit: Didn't read all the way through. That'll teach me.
Old 09-30-12, 07:20 PM
cwk132

Bikes: 2010 Giant Defy 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I believe that much of the perception that 105 was the minimum had to do with the previous Tiagra being 9-speed, which would seriously limit upgrades and compatibility. With the current Tiagra being 10-speed, that shouldn't be an issue.

Edit: Didn't read all the way through. That'll teach me.
I even raced on Tiagra, and had no problems. Just made sure to avoid putting too much pressure down when shifting up front, and never had trouble with rear shifting under power either. I can safely say that having 2 less gears never prevented me from winning anything (I'd need one of those motos that Fabian has...). That being said, I am loving my new Sram Rival.