Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Planning on buying a Trek 520 for touring.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Planning on buying a Trek 520 for touring.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-12, 09:41 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^thanks brad, i transferred the trekking bars on to the trek mountain bike and i am testing it out. Nitto mustache bars look interesting.
Old 08-25-12, 06:11 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Update: I got another pair of panniers today on my way back from my ride of 71.3 miles, from palo alto to SFO and back,they are Avenir excursion small panniers. I read all the reviews, youtube videos, and took a look at them at my local bike shop. I also tested the capacity: total of 6 gallons of water in both panniers, here they are.

Old 08-25-12, 10:16 PM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for sharing, Alexas. I should buy another set of sm.-med.panniers and those look like they'd also work on my mountain bike, which I'll be using for an upcoming path short tour.

Brad
Old 08-26-12, 06:05 AM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I had a 2006 Trek 520 that I liked a lot... Were it not for the fact that it was WAY too small, I'd still have it. I never toured on it, but I had aspirations of touring on it.
Old 08-28-12, 02:58 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Photogravity- how many miles do have on your trek 520?
Old 08-30-12, 11:00 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My First short tour-

Palo alto to Sausalito short Tour- 81 miles with Caltrain
-------------------------------
Today I started at 5am and left for my journey to sausalito, I packed a gallon of water, a lock, a big ziplock bag of powerbars and cliffbars(yummy). I rode my usual route up to the SFO airport in millbrae , that was the easy part. I GPS a route around the airport using my iphone but it took some time to plan it out. Once i got pass the 101 highway i had to navigate through some industrial areas, but after that i hit 3rd street, this is pretty high stress area to ride a bike and watch out for cars and climb a good degree of hill at the same time. Once down 3rd street I finally got to King street and it was smooth sailing to the Embarcadero with the piers, i saw a new flea market area that opened up , large amounts of people cluttering up the side walks waiting for food of some kind. With patience and skill riding i made it to the Golden Gate bridge where it was very foggy, so foggy i couldn't see more than 20 ft ahead. over the bridge and down the hill in to Sausalito i went and got to the end of the sausalito-Mill Valley trail in Mill valley. With a nice bathroom break and snacks/water, i rode back up the hill(pretty steep and curvy) and over the Golden Gate bridge and around a few hundred of zombie walking people i reached the Caltrain and got home. Now i have 1617.2 miles on my touring bike.
Old 08-31-12, 04:33 AM
bradtx

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
alexaschwanden, I'm jealous, I 'short toured' on the lawn tractor.

Brad
Old 10-10-12, 01:55 PM
BRAZUCA

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600 / 1984 Schwinn Peloton

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hey man, I was looking for reviews on Trek 520 and end up reading your post. Any new updates? How's your Trek 520 holding up? Thanks.
I just saw a new one today on my LBS for $1385.00 + tax.

QUOTE=alexaschwanden;14675006]My First short tour-

Palo alto to Sausalito short Tour- 81 miles with Caltrain
Today I started at 5am and left for my journey to sausalito, I packed a gallon of water, a lock, a big ziplock bag of powerbars and cliffbars(yummy). I rode my usual route up to the SFO airport in millbrae , that was the easy part. I GPS a route around the airport using my iphone but it took some time to plan it out. Once i got pass the 101 highway i had to navigate through some industrial areas, but after that i hit 3rd street, this is pretty high stress area to ride a bike and watch out for cars and climb a good degree of hill at the same time. Once down 3rd street I finally got to King street and it was smooth sailing to the Embarcadero with the piers, i saw a new flea market area that opened up , large amounts of people cluttering up the side walks waiting for food of some kind. With patience and skill riding i made it to the Golden Gate bridge where it was very foggy, so foggy i couldn't see more than 20 ft ahead. over the bridge and down the hill in to Sausalito i went and got to the end of the sausalito-Mill Valley trail in Mill valley. With a nice bathroom break and snacks/water, i rode back up the hill(pretty steep and curvy) and over the Golden Gate bridge and around a few hundred of zombie walking people i reached the Caltrain and got home. Now i have 1617.2 miles on my touring bike.[/QUOTE]
Old 10-10-12, 05:14 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Update: My trek 520 is working great and the panniers are very good, no problems. I have about 1900+ miles on it so far. No big changes so far, maybe a new chain in about 2k more miles.
Old 10-18-12, 11:40 AM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Today I rode 118.3 miles
(New long distance Record!),i rode from palo alto to San Mateo Coyote Point Marina then down to moffett bay recreational trail to Guadalupe river trail all the way down to the San Jose Airport, after that i rode back, also i took alot of detours for fun. They started paving the Guadalupe trail so its smooth instead of gravel, also i meet a nice older fellow near the alviso center in sunnyvale and talked about bikes and stuff. Lucky i bought food before this ride i got: a bag of cheese Munches, two powerbars, muscle milk, powerade drink. The weather got up to 84F with little wind. The ride time was a little over
9 hours long, out of the total time of about 11 hours, One more thing i was listening to my Pandora through the ride and my iphone is just about dead, i am amazed how long it lasted.Now i have 2173.8 miles on my touring bike.

Old 10-18-12, 12:27 PM
BRAZUCA

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600 / 1984 Schwinn Peloton

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hello Alexaschwanden. Thanks for the update and nice picture as well as a long ride that day. I will test ride a 60cm Trek 520 tomorrow, it was supposed to be today but the transfer from the LBS warehouse will only happen towards the end of the day. This will be a 2013 model, so no discount and the color is bronze now, which is a little bit lighter than the "root beer" color, but nice. I'll post my comments. Does your bike has Shimano Deore and Deore LX components as well as Dura-Ace shifting? Thanks. I need to get my finances ready to this purchase.

Originally Posted by alexaschwanden
Today I rode 118.3 miles
(New long distance Record!),i rode from palo alto to San Mateo Coyote Point Marina then down to moffett bay recreational trail to Guadalupe river trail all the way down to the San Jose Airport, after that i rode back, also i took alot of detours for fun. They started paving the Guadalupe trail so its smooth instead of gravel, also i meet a nice older fellow near the alviso center in sunnyvale and talked about bikes and stuff. Lucky i bought food before this ride i got: a bag of cheese Munches, two powerbars, muscle milk, powerade drink. The weather got up to 84F with little wind. The ride time was a little over
9 hours long, out of the total time of about 11 hours, One more thing i was listening to my Pandora through the ride and my iphone is just about dead, i am amazed how long it lasted.Now i have 2173.8 miles on my touring bike.

Old 10-18-12, 02:01 PM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today I rode 118.3 miles

Thanks for posting. Have been enjoying your updates. Please post more if you are so inclined.

(And please excuse any typos here -- this Kindle keyboard is a bit quirky at times.)

I would love to learn more about the SF Bay Trail past Sunnyvale and up the other side of the Bay. I've gone to the Alviso Marina and then followed the RR tracks way up into the swamps (sometimes called by other names like tidal marshes I know, but they are pretty swamplandish) to an old ghost town train station, which has probably sunk deeper into the marshes by now.

What I am wondering is where you can get back on a trail again north of the Alviso Marina. I believe that trail might just go all the way up the other side of the bay, at least as far as Jack London Square, where there is the ferry to SF.

And then after the ferry ride, it would be possible to get back onto the shoreline trail again, back on the SF side of the bay (among other options).

That could make for a great ride around the bay.

It seems like it might also be possible to do similar loops and variations, while incorporating a ride over the Dumbarton Bridge (which has a separate bike lane that is protected from traffic).
Old 10-18-12, 06:15 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
To Brazuca: this 2010 trek 520 has Deore LX components and Dura Ace endbar shifters (all stock besides the tires, bartape, saddle).

To Niles H: the way i found out about these trails was through google maps and a lot of trial and error with exploring, if you zoom in to the edge of the peninsula near shore line park in mountainview you should see some trails like moffett bay trail, sf bay trail, and south of that should be Guadalupe trail it starts at the gold street connect in Sunnyvale. I hope this helps, if you need more info please ask.
Old 10-26-12, 05:01 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[h=5]Today I changed it up and did 50 miles starting in Palo Alto then through the baylands and down Stevens Creek trail, after that i rode down Foothill expwy till i got to Stevens Canyon Rd that lead to the Stevens creek Reservoir where i had a snack and water. After resting a little while i resumed down stevens canyon rd till i got to Redwood gulch rd. I followed it to highway 9 and it was very hard and steep and which it lead me to highway 35 (Skyline Blvd). I rode skyline for a few miles north until i got to page mill road. The climb from the reservoir to the top of skyline was 2385ft! I went down page mill pretty fast, almost overcooking the turns at about 25-30 mph! The weight of the bike and all the food and water was about 45 pounds, i definitely felt the weight in the corners. Now i have 2406.9 miles on my bike.[/h]

Old 10-28-12, 08:07 AM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[h=5]Today I changed it up and did 50 miles starting in Palo Alto then through the baylands and down Stevens Creek trail, after that i rode down Foothill expwy till i got to Stevens Canyon Rd that lead to the Stevens creek Reservoir where i had a snack and water. After resting a little while i resumed down stevens canyon rd till i got to Redwood gulch rd. I followed it to highway 9 and it was very hard and steep and which it lead me to highway 35 (Skyline Blvd). I rode skyline for a few miles north until i got to page mill road. The climb from the reservoir to the top of skyline was 2385ft! I went down page mill pretty fast, almost overcooking the turns at about 25-30 mph! The weight of the bike and all the food and water was about 45 pounds, i definitely felt the weight in the corners. Now i have 2406.9 miles on my bike.[/h]

Nice pictures. Thanks for posting.

Sounds like you're finding some good rides. Just wondering if you have any favorites so far (favorite trails, roads, loops, routes, scenery, or anything else that stands out)?
Old 10-28-12, 08:37 AM
Teamdarb

Bikes: 94' Barracuda A2M, 83 Ross 294 signature, 93 MB3, '87 BS 300 mixte, '86 420, '12 Trek 520, 92 720 and more

Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
This thread has some great posting. I, too, am on a 520. I have over 6000mles on mine since May. The tire tread falling off happened to me as well while riding my 420 at about 4000 miles just 20 mile south of Big Spring, TX at 11:30pm! The 24t will definitely work up front. I swapped my 26t to a 22t and the rear cassette for from 11-32t to 12-36t. Tires are 700cx37 with fenders, no rubbing. The front derailleur was exchanged for a Sora, as mine was rudely swapped to a 2300 when purchased at a Seattle, WA bike shop- should have been a Deore originally. The rear derailleur is the original Deore LX. I put in extra links to the chain for the "accidents" of going 48t and 36t. I have a slight noise in 22t and 36t nothing serious.

I found climbing in Western USA to be long, I did one that was 90 miles up, versus Eastern USA. That 11-32t and 48,36,26t were just annoying. My difference went from .928 something to now .500 or so climbing.

Last edited by Teamdarb; 10-28-12 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-03-12, 09:36 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Update:I changed my setup slightly by moving the lights to the front fork, flipped the large cup holder to the other side(more aero maybe), and added the 2 year old reliable trunk bag on the back with a bigger rear light for night rides, then tested the handling and weight different with a nice long ride today. check it out.

Today I rode 76 miles from Palo Alto to Coyote hills then down Alameda Creek trail to Niles Canyon. After a break and snacks i rode back over the dumbarton bridge and out toward steven's creek trail to the end of sleeper Ave and all the way back home in the dark. On my ride i saw a lot of different types of bikes like; on-road and offroad tandem bikes, recumbents, road and mountain bikes old and new looking. also going down stevens creek trail i saw and heard a woman maybe in her 40's playing a 4ft bongo drum strapped to her stomach and hammering on it like there's no tomorrow, pretty good i would say, and one more thing i found a couch in some under brush near the creek

Old 11-04-12, 06:31 AM
bradtx

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
alexas, Just be careful that you don't use the cup holder with a cup that's long enough to strike the top tube, or just make turns to the right.

What brank/model is the rack bag? Any difference with the lower mounted headlamps?

Brad
Old 11-04-12, 11:45 AM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
to brad: thanks for the concern i have hit my knee once or twice on the cup holder but i am learning not to do that now, I am using the Avenir excursion trunk bag it opens up to 830 cubic inches, and avenir small pannier bags(1464 cubic inches). the lower head lamps intersect and make the bright viewing through the dark better to see.
Old 11-04-12, 12:18 PM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update:I changed my setup slightly by moving the lights to the front fork, flipped the large cup holder to the other side(more aero maybe), and added the 2 year old reliable trunk bag on the back with a bigger rear light for night rides, then tested the handling and weight different with a nice long ride today. check it out.

Today I rode 76 miles from Palo Alto to Coyote hills then down Alameda Creek trail to Niles Canyon. After a break and snacks i rode back over the dumbarton bridge and out toward steven's creek trail to the end of sleeper Ave and all the way back home in the dark. On my ride i saw a lot of different types of bikes like; on-road and offroad tandem bikes, recumbents, road and mountain bikes old and new looking. also going down stevens creek trail i saw and heard a woman maybe in her 40's playing a 4ft bongo drum strapped to her stomach and hammering on it like there's no tomorrow, pretty good i would say, and one more thing i found a couch in some under brush near the creek

Thanks for the updates, Alex. You are exploring some interesting routes.

I'm interested in rides across the bay, then north. Do you know anything about routes between the east end of the Dumbarton Bridge and the Harbor Bay Ferry west of San Leandro, or Bay Farm Island, or any portions of those, or any recommendations?
Old 11-04-12, 02:59 PM
bradtx

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
to brad: thanks for the concern i have hit my knee once or twice on the cup holder but i am learning not to do that now, I am using the Avenir excursion trunk bag it opens up to 830 cubic inches, and avenir small pannier bags(1464 cubic inches). the lower head lamps intersect and make the bright viewing through the dark better to see.
Thanks, that bag looks just about perfect for use on my mountain bike! Thanks also for the headlamp info. My present system can only mount to the bars and was curious if there were any advantage to the lower positioning.

Brad
Old 11-14-12, 09:05 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Morgan Hill Tour-100 miles
Today i rode 100 miles (century) from Palo alto to Morgan hill and back. The route i took was my house to and over hwy101 to the baylands then through shoreline and on moffett bay trail to gold street connect. After that i rode on the guadalupe trail south to SJ airport and then on to taylor street. I followed taylor st till i got to tenth st, this street has one of the nicest bike lanes i have ever seen. Took tenth to tully road where i biked 19.5 miles down Coyote Trail to Anderson lake county park in Morgan hill. Some parts of the coyote trail is really in disrepair but most of it is in nice shape, i got a flat tire in the rear about 65 miles in to the ride, took only about 5 minutes to fix. I noticed alot of garbage in certain places of the trail, and a group of homeless people living under hwy 101 near the 85 conjunction. I also had three refills of water and three powerbars with a small tasty bag of Apple Jacks cereal. It was a very tiring ride but fun to explore new places.

Old 11-23-12, 01:16 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Update:
I recently find out there was roughness coming from the bottom bracket, so i went to cardinal bike shop. After some diagnosis and theories we took apart the bottom bracket to find that the bearings were destroyed pretty much. They helped me select a new Ultegra 6700 BB which i installed and noticed it was butter smooth!. Also i got over 3000 miles so far, the bike is working fine and i so is the drive train. the only things i have replaced were: 1 pair of tires, bottom bracket, 5 flats, bar tape, and that's it. here is how the bike is now.

Old 11-23-12, 07:37 PM
bradtx

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Alexas, Exceptionally bad luck WRT the bottom bracket. I've had a few Ultegra BBs on my roadie builds, they're great.

Brad
Old 12-02-12, 02:29 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Today I rode 32.7 miles from Palo alto to redwood city marina and back. I got a nice new Gore-tex cycling rain jacket from a really good friend as a early christmas present, it works very well.The weather was about 56F with alot of rain and wind gusts up to 19 mph! Also there was a few places along my ride that were really flooded like a foot deep! it was fun riding through even though it wasn't easy, even the police had to close down a road because there was so much water.

https://gearwestbike.com/product/gore...acket-4785.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.