Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Contemplating buying a De Rosa, Please help

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-12, 07:34 PM
GlenBandit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

here's the link

https://www.ebay.com/itm/261106250458...84.m1423.l2649

I'm contemplating buying this bike, taking a train up and riding it down to LA. I'm very tempted, I've done quiet a bit of research, since the description and pictures are vague. It's clearly a 90's De Rosa, not the classic De Rosa, likely not built by Ugo. Are these "not real" De Rosa's even manufactured in Italy? Neuron has had positive feedback so I'm not apprehensive about the tubing; although, would neuron feel the same as eg slx? I'm basically talking about the diameter of the tubes, held in your hand. Just want feedback from you guys.

I used to have an early 80's De Rosa. It was beautiful. Unfortunately it was too big and had the period accurate components, which really wasn't that appealing to me. I sold it, and now reinvesting. What's really appealing for me is the ergo levers and shifting systems. At first I was really excited because I thought this ebay bike had the last of the C Record components (1994), but its more likely that its the new record labeled set. Which is fine with me.

Basically, is this bike worth the money? I cant read the top tube decal, does anyone know what model it is? Thanckx guys!
Old 10-11-12, 07:51 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Liked 602 Times in 259 Posts
Nuovo Classico.
Old 10-11-12, 08:14 PM
GlenBandit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cheers rj, that helps. happy that it has the classic de rosa head decal, instead of the headbadge. any personal feedback on the frame?
Old 10-11-12, 08:36 PM
GlenBandit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh god, im ********, it says nuovo classico in the ebay title. the inquiry about value remains.
Old 10-11-12, 09:20 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Liked 355 Times in 178 Posts
After reading this ad, I would pass. I got a bad vibe from the seller's "if it turns into dust, it's not my fault" horse excrement. I don't do business with people like that if I can help it.

As for value - blahhh. It's not an awful deal, and I love 9sp record, but de rosa made much cooler 90s bikes. Also that size is hard to sell. I'd hold out for a primato. There is a decent chance it was made by Ugo, and I don't think it matters. I would trust quality. I personally like the stuff they did in the 90s with OS tubes more than the 80s bikes. I'd either want a pre80s de rosa or a later one personally.

All things considered, it's a nice bike, but it wouldn't be a must have for me and I think the seller seems like an ass. He has no other bike transactions that i see and combined with his "i guaranty nothing" attitude, I'd wait. A persistent issue with eBay is people with minimal knowledge and feedback expecting top dollar. For his asking price I want a knowledgable seller and a bike that's overhauled and ready to ride. I don't want "it's old and not my fault".

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 10-11-12 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-11-12, 09:39 PM
jet sanchEz

Liked 897 Times in 400 Posts
I have a Nuovo Classico and it is made of TSX tubes and is an incredible bike but I don't like his attitude either and I don't think the price is all that great. Keep looking, I see tons of De Rosas listed in California.
Old 10-11-12, 09:54 PM
GlenBandit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses, I totally hear you guys on the attitude of the seller. I've tried to contact him and he's responded once, I am now waiting on more pictures. He could be a total ball buster but I want to get him on the phone to talk about his add, its definitely not confidence inspiring. Also if I bought it, I'd be going up to SF to meet him and pick up the bike, so I feel like there would be more assurance when meeting face to face instead of a digital medium. Also I dont think this this price is really set in stone, I'd shoot for 1200 and he's unwilling then I'd pass. I've never had modern components and its just so alluring to me, definitely being prudent and patient with this one. Thanks again. Love the avatar jet, I should dig up a strip on Calvin's dad's cycling experience, always a good laugh
Old 10-11-12, 11:56 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
For that kind of money I'd expect paint and decals to be in better condition

S. J. Perelman
Old 10-12-12, 03:48 AM
gomango

Liked 263 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbossman
For that kind of money I'd expect paint and decals to be in better condition
So would I.

Keep looking, as I've seen some decent deals on nice De Rosas at that price point.

Nothing wrong with the Neuron tubeset though.

I wouldn't pass though on a TSX or SLX framed De Rosa either, as I go back to my Professional time and time again.

Kind of like my old pair of Red Wing hunting boots.

The fit is what really counts.
Old 10-12-12, 04:34 AM
Zieleman

Bikes: Enough for now

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
1200 is still a lot of dough...

Edit: after reading the entire ad, I can't believe anyone being so rude in an advertising trying to sell something. It's like the soupnazi only with a damaged, overpriced bowl of hot water (not that a De Rosa is bad soup, but it's way to damaged for 1400bucks).

Last edited by Zieleman; 10-12-12 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10-12-12, 04:42 AM
gomango

Liked 263 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by SANTE POLLASTRI
i've never seen a nuovo classico with neuron tubes,my one is made of tsx tubes.
probably there is a dent on the left chainstay,near the bb.
Yes, I see it as well after you pointed that out.

Good eye.

A definite pass.
Old 10-12-12, 06:30 AM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
After reading this ad, I would pass. I got a bad vibe from the seller's "if it turns into dust, it's not my fault" horse excrement. I don't do business with people like that if I can help it.

As for value - blahhh. It's not an awful deal, and I love 9sp record, but de rosa made much cooler 90s bikes. Also that size is hard to sell. I'd hold out for a primato. There is a decent chance it was made by Ugo, and I don't think it matters. I would trust quality. I personally like the stuff they did in the 90s with OS tubes more than the 80s bikes. I'd either want a pre80s de rosa or a later one personally.

All things considered, it's a nice bike, but it wouldn't be a must have for me and I think the seller seems like an ass. He has no other bike transactions that i see and combined with his "i guaranty nothing" attitude, I'd wait. A persistent issue with eBay is people with minimal knowledge and feedback expecting top dollar. For his asking price I want a knowledgable seller and a bike that's overhauled and ready to ride. I don't want "it's old and not my fault".
Knowing exactly squat about De Rosas, I've held off on commenting on this thread, but KAS neatly states my bad feelings about this seller. The wording and the off-putting replies (I don't think 800 is an out there offer and I would at least be nice to the person who made the offer. You can say no and not be a jerk about it.) are nudging the arsehole meter into the red here. Seller may or may not be an arse, but I try and limit my dealings with such folk. De Rosas are not rare enough to make me change my mind; I think I could find one with a few months' searching if I applied myself.

He'll also have some issues moving that bike in that size I suspect. Bigger bike, tougher sell.

A lot depends upon the tone and tenor of his replies to your questions at this point, but I would tend to tread carefully here. If upon receipt you find the bike has a major issue (crack, whatever) there's every sign this guy could be a major pain to deal with. Might not be, but it's trending that way.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 10-12-12, 06:31 AM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SANTE POLLASTRI
i've never seen a nuovo classico with neuron tubes,my one is made of tsx tubes.
probably there is a dent on the left chainstay,near the bb.
Case in point. Time to move on.

Good eye, Sante.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 10-12-12, 06:49 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Looks pretty rough for a bike that was "NOS" and ridden "occasionally" for 6 years.

For $1400 he could afford to take better pictures and include a drive-side picture in his ad. "I can email you pictures".. I never understand sellers like that.. freaking post all the pics in the ad, duh
Old 10-12-12, 07:36 AM
ColonelJLloyd

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
BINs are for sellers without confidence in what they're selling and the market for that item.

Beware of any seller too stupid to post a drive-side photo.
Old 10-12-12, 07:43 AM
miamijim

Liked 121 Times in 87 Posts
Seems rough for $1400+. I dont think its worth a circumvent fees cash offer of $1200...
Old 10-12-12, 08:33 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Old 10-12-12, 08:35 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
Beware of any seller too stupid to post a drive-side photo.
I don't know if it's stupidity, but it definitely shows inexperience with buying and selling bikes. Which means he's probably inexperienced with shipping bikes.
Old 10-12-12, 08:42 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by frantik
I don't know if it's stupidity, but it definitely shows inexperience with buying and selling bikes. Which means he's probably inexperienced with shipping bikes.
Which means it's probably going to need new grease, housings, etc.

The problem isn't that he's selling a rough bike; it's that he's obnoxious and expects top dollar without being a top seller. The shipping issue would be mitigated by the OP picking it up, but I fully agree with you; I'm not having a bike shipped by a guy who doesn't know how to take a photo, has no bike related feedback and who writes whatever happens isn't my fault in his ad. Granted, the purchase would be covered by eBay's protection regardless of the seller's ad, but who wants to deal with that grief?
Old 10-12-12, 12:29 PM
Zieleman

Bikes: Enough for now

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I really like the Stranglers version!
Old 10-12-12, 12:35 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

I enjoy The Stranglers, but am not familiar with their cover...that sounds promising.
Old 10-12-12, 01:43 PM
GlenBandit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys are great. Thanks for all the feedback! Definitely did NOT notice the apparent dent in the chainstay... I think this is a case closed and a definite pass. Taking in the Isaac song at the moment. Really want to get a classic roadbike with ergo shifting, I guess I'll have to be patient. Let me know if you guys see anything worth while

PS the group in here is just so much easier to converse with then the ssfg crowd, hats off and thanks again
Old 10-12-12, 01:57 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

no bike related feedback
to be fair, he has sold 1 or 2 other bike items, but not whole bikes
Old 10-12-12, 03:46 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
Looks pretty rough for a bike that was "NOS" and ridden "occasionally" for 6 years.
Yeah, that's what I was alluding to in my first post. That bike is beat..... bike finishes always look better in pics than they do in person. If I can see considerable damage, chips, and missing decal bits in those poor seller supplied pics, it must really be a wreck when viewed in person.

Definite pass.

S. J. Perelman
Old 10-12-12, 09:22 PM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Yeah, perplexing that someone who thinks an item is that valuable could trash it out that much in 6 years of occasional use. Must take care of his stuff... not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.