Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

re: My post about the Helmet with retractable lens

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-12, 12:31 PM
Dux_Helm

Bikes: Cannondale six-13, LarryvsHarry Bullitt (Cargo bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would like to take a moment to apologise for any negativity my post from a few days ago might have caused.
At least one member did not like the way I covertly presented the product without revealing right away I was indeed involved in the project.

So I'm sorry if it made some people uncomfortable, just wanted to take the time to let you know I hammered things out with the forum admin, and would love to continue the dialogue regarding the helmet in a new thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...placeable-lens

there were some very insightful comments and suggestions about the helmet in the previous thread, I would love to build on them.

CHeers
Martin
Old 10-16-12, 12:53 PM
echotraveler

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like this idea. Mostly id like this to look futuristic, not too bulky. Bulky imo is goofy...
This seems like something id like to try out.
Old 10-16-12, 12:58 PM
Gluteus
Maximus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad that you patched things up with the mods.
In regards to the helmet with retractable lens = good idea. I use prescription sunglasses, so probably I won't be able to use it.
Old 10-16-12, 01:17 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Gluteus
In regards to the helmet with retractable lens = good idea. I use prescription sunglasses, so probably I won't be able to use it.
I was informed that you can use it with "some" prescription glasses. I also wear prescription glasses and really tired of having to switch glasses around and would love very much to be able to wear a helmet with a retractable shade.
Old 10-16-12, 09:59 PM
Dux_Helm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
I was informed that you can use it with "some" prescription glasses. I also wear prescription glasses and really tired of having to switch glasses around and would love very much to be able to wear a helmet with a retractable shade.

The perfect solution would be for you to talk your favourite local bike shop into bringing a pack of 4 or 5 sample helmets for them to check out and show customers, and for you to 'try before you buy'.
Old 10-17-12, 06:23 AM
bigbadwullf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Two words: Transitions Vantage
Old 10-17-12, 07:52 AM
cruiserhead

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Someone got their feelings hurt? boo-hoo
People love to be offended on the internet.... ignore negativity.
it serves you no good to address or try to appease them. They will always be there, and will never amount to anything.

Great idea and I hope your company succeeds! Going up against the helmet giants is tough but it's pretty exciting that "a great idea" can find a place in the market.
I hope the best for you guys and my only advice would be to focus on two things:
1. Constructive feedback
2. Keep developing the product

Hey, Apple was 2 guys in a garage with a good idea...
Old 10-17-12, 10:43 AM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gluteus
why wouldn't this be ideal for you? being able to wear your glasses underneath?
Old 10-17-12, 12:08 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Originally Posted by bigbadwullf
Two words: Transitions Vantage
Heard of it, but never tried. How fast do they change from dark to clear when going from outside to inside? The previous ones I have used take a long time and it became annoying.
Old 10-17-12, 12:10 PM
tagaproject6

Originally Posted by DropDeadFred
why wouldn't this be ideal for you? being able to wear your glasses underneath?
He said that it may not fit with some prescription glasses specially if they do not curve or hug your face, much like some sports sunglasses. That's a deal breaker for me.
Old 10-17-12, 02:22 PM
Dux_Helm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Entrvet bergen

2 lens options we got requests for are 1.polarized 2.potochromic (transition).

They will not be standard, but will be offered as a premium optional upgrade down the road.

Our researchers indicated that committed riders who wear prescriptions usually have sports oriented frames to help with wind etc.
All of such frames do work fine.

Casual riders usually do not have cycling frames, but they are also much less likely to drop $179-199 for a helmet...

Can't please everybody, we are aiming to have something that works for the 90%...at least for the time being.
Old 10-17-12, 02:48 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3425 Post(s)
Liked 5,635 Times in 2,923 Posts
Please mimic the Tifosi "Light Night" photochromic;
75.9 - 27.7% light transmission

I love these because they lighten so much I can even ride at night with them, but they are fine for the brightest midday sun.
Old 10-17-12, 03:06 PM
tagaproject6

Originally Posted by Dux_Helm
Our researchers indicated that committed riders who wear prescriptions usually have sports oriented frames to help with wind etc.All of such frames do work fine.
Probably because there is nothing like this helmet on the market. I know of a lot of riders with prescription lenses that would rather not have a different frame just for riding. then you have those have strong prescriptions who cannot have cycling specific or wrap around sunglasses becaue of the physical limitations of the lens. This concept is totally lost on anyone who never had to wear glasses in their life
Old 10-17-12, 03:21 PM
Dux_Helm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Probably because there is nothing like this helmet on the market. I know of a lot of riders with prescription lenses that would rather not have a different frame just for riding. then you have those have strong prescriptions who cannot have cycling specific or wrap around sunglasses becaue of the physical limitations of the lens. This concept is totally lost on anyone who never had to wear glasses in their life

Good point...
We actually made a 3D printed model of the same helmet but with the lens pushed 5mm further forward.
Research is not yet complete on that one, we have to be sure the benefit is significant...
Alternatively we could make a smaller lens for glasses, so it doesn't wrap around as much, allowing the corners of the frame to stick out.
Of course the down side of that is the bright light can hit the wearer from the sides.
Old 10-17-12, 03:29 PM
Shimagnolo

Looking at the website...
Are the Black Carbon and White Carbon no longer an option?
Old 10-17-12, 03:42 PM
Dux_Helm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Looking at the website...
Are the Black Carbon and White Carbon no longer an option?

I think they are under 'Delux'
The 'Carbon' ones use cubic coating for scratch and chip resistance.
They have a bit of an elastic, rubberised feel to them, and the Cubic coating helps to keep the helmet from chipping when dropped and stuff like that.

They will look new longer with that Cubic stuff. It's pretty good, I can vouch for it, as I have been using the black carbon for 6 months now.
Old 10-17-12, 03:45 PM
Shimagnolo

Ah...found them!
Old 10-17-12, 05:59 PM
das Ben Gator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the idea Dux Helm is producing. I wear prescription glasses and have pondered about getting Rx cycling glasses. I'm also looking to buy a helmet for everyday riding. Dux Helm fits the bill as a potential option! While I'm not a fan of 'cheesegrater' cycling helmets, I think the Dux Helm might be a possibility nevertheless, which I'll try once they're available locally). I like the Giro AirAttack and the Casco designs, though I'd like the try them on first as well.

Even if some riders don't need glasses, I think eye protection would be good (sunlight protection, bugs/debris, wind).
Old 10-17-12, 06:24 PM
rkelley23

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would love something like this because sunglasses against my face irritate my skin so much.
Old 10-18-12, 12:11 AM
Dux_Helm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
indeed.
Another added feature is that the lenses do not fog up. We rode with them in conditions of 36deg C (96-97deg F) and high humidity, down to (so far) 5deg C (41F)
No fogging.
Tested in speeds up to 80kmh - lenses remain stable, no vibrations or shaking.
Old 10-18-12, 01:03 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 374 Posts
Looks like it would slice my nose off if I landed on the helmet.

What safety standards does it meet?
Old 10-18-12, 01:24 AM
Dux_Helm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Looks like it would slice my nose off if I landed on the helmet.

What safety standards does it meet?

It is CPSC and CE certified.

I think in certain conditions it would potentially be possible to receive a cut from the lens as it is now, though it would have to be a severe impact, in which case a cut from the lens would probably be the least of the worry, protection to the eyes far outweighing the risk in my opinion.

We played around with an idea of including an attachable rubber nose guard, still may do it for liability purposes...
But most of all I want to design the lens mould to allow for slight beading, rounding of the lower edge.
The lenses we use now are stamped, so the lower edge is not as round and dull as I would like it to be.
I am also not 100% satisfied with the quality of the lenses and with the promptness of our current supplier to deal with concerns.

above all
The lens *should* retract back into the helmet in most situations if pushed, before any damage to the face occurs.

p.s. Znomit:
We are talking with a couple of Australian distributors, so hopefully you will be able to see them first hand in a few months, once they pass the Ozzie standard.

Last edited by Dux_Helm; 10-18-12 at 01:32 AM.
Old 10-18-12, 02:07 AM
Liist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My main concern is the optical clarity and correctness of the lenses. I wouldn't even consider it if it's the same retracting shades used in Scorpion motorcycle helmets.
Old 10-18-12, 02:26 AM
Dux_Helm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Liist
My main concern is the optical clarity and correctness of the lenses. I wouldn't even consider it if it's the same retracting shades used in Scorpion motorcycle helmets.

The distortion is not too bad, the 'swimming' feeling is very minor, but the lenses we currently have are not optically correct.
That said I personally put roughly 200km/week with mine (usually amber lens) and I find it fairly comfortable on my eyes.
I've had some motorcycling helmets with truly awful shields- I know exactly what you're saying.

That is one of the reason we are working on securing a new supplier.

Also some customers expressed a desire for photochromic and polarized options, and again our current supplier has no interest in that, so they have to go.

Lenses are something we are still working on - quality and colour options, shades etc.

Last edited by Dux_Helm; 10-18-12 at 02:29 AM.
Old 10-18-12, 03:55 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
A few thoughts:

1) I am not really sure what problem this is solving. I am not sure I would trade my good sunglasses for a $30 piece of colored plastic.

2) I cringe at the thought of crashing with this. Face shields are one thing, but this looks suspiciously like a razor blade aimed at my face. Imagine taking a crash that hits above the right eye. It would immediately (if the helmet is working correctly) collapse the lens retraction path, locking the lens down and aimed right at the nose bridge and cheek. You can easily say "...you have bigger problems..." but honestly, if I crash, I am looking to minimize my problems regardless of how bad the crash. A cut down to my cheekbone isn't on the list of injuries I'd like to include in my recovery. There is a reason why performance glasses 1) don't hook around your ears and 2) are worn outside the straps. It's to allow them to move independently of your head and helmet and not cut your face up when they get hit. This is particularly near and dear to me at the moment because I crashed just like this in a track race last July.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.