Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hearing gunfire while riding

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-12, 08:24 PM
Parson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was out for a ride yesterday and had a scary experience. I'm wondering if others have had similar experiences and/or if people who have been around guns can tell me if I have/had any reason to be concerned.

I ride beside vineyards a lot and am used to hearing the sound of loud bangs around this time of year because the farmers have some sort of device that makes small explosions (like a gun firing I assume) to scare off birds.

Until yesterday, I had never heard the sound of a gun being fired. While out on my ride yesterday on a country/farm road, I heard a loud bang similar to the sound of those used by the farmers, but this sound was slightly different. There was a slight wizzing sound accompanied with the bang similar to the sound of bullets flying through the air that you hear in war movies but fainter and not as dramatic. I knew in my gut that it was gunfire and instantly thought "if i can hear those bullets they must be close", but I didn't know for sure if that was correct. I really didn't know what to do. The idea of stopping, jumping off my bike a cowering in the ditch crossed my mind, but seemed ridiculous.

Moments later, on my left I could see two people a few hundred meters away, in a farm field, facing towards the field (not in my direction) holding a riffle and paying no attention to me. I rode as quickly as I could without trying to look panicked to a spot about 100m down the road where their house blocked them from my sight and kept riding. At that point, I convinced myself that the guys were practicing shooting and weren't shooting at me so my fear went away and I continued happily along my ride.

Out of curiosity, I just googled how close you have to be to hear the whistle of a bullet and the general consensus seems to be that you have to be VERY close... like close enough that you never want to be that close.

I don't know though.. I can't imagine that people would shoot at a cyclist on a road where cars are driving past every 30 seconds to a minute. Is it possible that I could hear the bullets from a distance, or maybe they were using skeets and maybe the skeets make a whistling sound? What are people's thoughts on this. Is this concerning? Do I just need to get out in the country more?
Old 10-22-12, 08:37 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 412 Posts
I've heard gunfire a few times while riding on rural roads, but always from shotguns and at least 200m away, so I assumed there was no risk. A rifle could be quite another story, though.
Old 10-22-12, 08:39 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 293 Posts
I think that some of the guns used by farmers also make that whistling sound that you are referring to.

I now live and ride in a mostly agricultural area. I moved here from the city. The first time I was riding out a country road and I heard the "bird gun" I thought someone was shooting at me--having lived in the city for many years, gunshots were an almost everyday occurrence.

I rode my bike into a ditch and dove for cover.

After realizing what was going on, I got up and continued my ride...albeit covered in dirty and mud from the ditch.

I am just glad that no one saw me pulling that maneuver--I would have been pretty embarrased.
Old 10-22-12, 08:42 PM
Parson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reynolds, could you hear the whistling or hissing sound? That's what has me wondering.
Old 10-22-12, 08:44 PM
Gluteus
Maximus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hunting is big where I live, so the sound of guns while you ride is not uncommon.
I am not too concerned while riding on a road thru an open field. Riding thru a wooded area during hunting season does make me a bit nervous.
Old 10-22-12, 09:23 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 412 Posts
Originally Posted by Parson
Reynolds, could you hear the whistling or hissing sound? That's what has me wondering.
Never heard that, surely I would've been scared if I did.
Old 10-22-12, 09:33 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Yet another reason to wear hi-vis clothing.
Old 10-22-12, 09:39 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 375 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Either that or Ninja.

Theres a rifle club on my regular route. Lots of bangs and the odd ding from the target, no whistling or hissing.
Old 10-22-12, 09:57 PM
bike56

Bikes: Trek 1200 Felt F3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the country when you hear a gun shot and are not sure of the direction,always yell "hey" or "over here"very loud.This is a common communication device among hunters and target shooters to let them know you are there.It happens with hunters and woodsman all the time.It is unlikely the bullet came close,if they were adults,but if you can hear it whistle ,it is close.
Old 10-22-12, 10:50 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Yep, scares the living daylights out of me when riding through a forest along a valley. The trouble in a forest, you cannot see where the shooter is and which direction he might be shooting.

I worked in an apple orchard with the gas guns used as bird scarers, and they aren't particularly alarming (although we had visitors and new workers dive for cover occasionally).

And, I've had shooters on the property fire big rifles almost next door where I was staying. That got my attention.

But if I hear them in open country, I usually ride as quickly as I can out the place. And I know that ducking on hearing the shot isn't much good because if I get hit... I won't have heard the shot.
Old 10-22-12, 11:00 PM
BykOfALesserGod
Pretty rigid member

Bikes: Sycip Unleaded, Raleigh SS, Trek 1.5, IF Crown Jewel, QR Kilo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Relax. It's not like artillery. If you heard the bullet then it missed you.
Old 10-23-12, 03:11 AM
Astrozombie

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Just another weekend around here........don't drive around at 3AM.
Old 10-23-12, 03:46 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 132 Posts
Part of local folclore. Shooting in the air on weddings etc.

My city was bombed, but never near the frontline, so I got used to bombs explosions, heard a tomahawk missle once fly buy, but never bullets flying near me.
Old 10-23-12, 07:09 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
I hear it pretty often out in the country in TX. Its a popular past time to go out and shoot. Everyone I've even known that does it is very responsible about it. They usually shoot into a creek bank or hill where there's a natural stop for the rounds and face away from any roadways. I'm sure there's some reckless idiots out there, but I haven't met any yet. Sport shooters are generally very big on safety.
Old 10-23-12, 07:18 AM
MDfive21

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BykOfALesserGod
Relax. It's not like artillery. If you heard the bullet then it missed you.
yep, bullets break the sound barrier so if you heard it, THAT bullet missed you. you'll never hear the one that gets you.

Originally Posted by Parson
a few hundred meters away, in a farm field, facing towards the field (not in my direction) holding a riffle and paying no attention to me.

i wouldn't be too concerned. if you want to face your fear and learn a little about guns you might go by the vineyard and chat with the guys firing them.
Old 10-23-12, 07:35 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's deer hunting season right now, so I kind of expect to hear gun shots.

And one of the routes I often take goes past an outdoor shooting range.
Old 10-23-12, 07:43 AM
iconicflux
Fredly

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker w/ SRAM Rival, & 36H 38's, Late 70's Santana Tandem w/ Double Diamond frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Yeah.. as long as someone's shooting at you.. you may as well make it easier for them.

At least they didn't think you were a skunk...
https://abcnews.go.com/US/girl-hallow...5#.UIae8Gl2528
Old 10-23-12, 07:50 AM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
if I road in the city it would freak me out, out in the country not at all. especially this time of year, it's bird season and bow season for deer. Riding after the satruday before thanksgiving (besides being quite cold) I would only ride mid-day, most hunters are out of the woods by about 10-11a and return around 2p, some do all-day sits, but most do not.
Old 10-23-12, 07:56 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
I was floating down a river tubing with some friends in rural louisianna a few years ago when we heard some gunshots and actually saw some bullet splashes about 80 yards ahead of us in the river. We came around the bend and saw a group of 6 or 7 "rural" guys on the riverbank with ATVs and 2 pistols, evidently trying out their new guns. One of my buddies yelled something like "hey, don't shoot so close to us!" and the guy holding the gun just smirked. Once we were another 50 yards downriver they began firing again. It all g
felt very deliverance-esque, and if we hadn't downed several coolers of beer at that point it might have been quite scary!
Old 10-23-12, 08:06 AM
bigbadwullf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shotgun: If you are over 100-150 yards away. No big deal.
Rifle: Another story.

Basically hunters are usually very aware of their surroundings and set up so their shot will not affect anyone. Hunting is big here and anymore I don't even think about it when I hear a gun shot, especially in duck season. Sounds like a war going on. Steel shot doesn't go very far.

Now if I were in the city, I'd be pedaling very fast...

Last edited by bigbadwullf; 10-23-12 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-23-12, 08:12 AM
RecceDG
Token Canadian

Bikes: Cervelo S1, Norco Faze 1 SL, Surly Big Dummy, Moose Fatbike

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been, as part of my day job, shot "near" (I can't prove that I was the intended target; the shooter didn't stick around to say).

There is a loud "snap" as the bullet goes by. It is very distinctive.

DG
Old 10-23-12, 08:20 AM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked 1,027 Times in 576 Posts
I hear gunfire all the time, but never hear the bullets whizzing. That might get my adrenalin flowing. As it is, it's such a common occurrence in my rural area that you really don't think twice about it.
Old 10-23-12, 08:23 AM
RecceDG
Token Canadian

Bikes: Cervelo S1, Norco Faze 1 SL, Surly Big Dummy, Moose Fatbike

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Usually, a "whizz" sound is a ricochet, not a bullet in direct flight. When they bounce, they tumble and can buzz, hum, and whistle.

A bullet in flight is a hiss at a distance, and SNAP if close.

DG
Old 10-23-12, 08:54 AM
Drag
Cardiac Case

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale, Litespeed, Lynskey

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Are you sure it wasn't another cyclist?

Old 10-23-12, 09:44 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3620 Post(s)
Liked 3,460 Times in 1,964 Posts
Two words: "hunting season." Wear bright clothes and stay on paved roads and you should be ok. At least I've never yet been shot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.