Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Had to have emergency back surgery last night.....

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-12, 08:33 AM
leeinmemphis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey everyone,

Yesterday I stepped off of a ladder at the house and immediately collapsed in excruciating pain. The fire dept and ambulance got me in the hospital yesterday soon after. I lost feeling/control of my body below my waist. It was like my legs would let me stand or even sit up even though my brain was telling my body to. I had a disc between l5-s1 that was severely bulged and last night they went in and did whatever they had to do(haven't seen doctor yet to get the details). I was curious if anyone had back surgery knows how long I will have to be off the bike? Doc told my wife I can't pick up anything weighing more than a phonebook for at least 8 weeks. I've recently purchased a Surly Big Dummy cargo bike and am definitely going to miss riding it for quite a while. I don't normally ask for this but if you are of the praying kind I sure could use some. I still don't feel my legs and am praying my feeling will return.
Old 10-26-12, 08:53 AM
klepto1

Bikes: GT Transeo 5.0, 2014 Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know the answers to your questions, but I pray for your speedy and full recovery.
Old 10-26-12, 09:29 AM
DTSCDS
"Fred"--is that bad?

Bikes: Felt f85 (11); Trek 7.3 FX (07); Schwinn Super Sport (86); Specialized Rockhopper (87)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife just had back surgery in Sept 10th. She is still not allowed to do anything bike related. She is moving around pretty well and has an appointment coming up in the next couple of weeks where she should be released to do a bit more. She is wearing a brace most of the time which limits her motion pretty good--no twisting or bending over
The doctor said she should be back on the bike and have no significant long-term restrictions. Of course her surgery was not for a bulging disc issue so YMMV.
If you want, I would be willing to take care of the Big Dummy until you are ready to ride it again. You wouldn't want it to corrode from inactivity like happens to a battery if you leave it in a device unused do you? That would be bad.
Just trying to be helpful!
Old 10-26-12, 09:48 AM
leeinmemphis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DTSCDS
If you want, I would be willing to take care of the Big Dummy until you are ready to ride it again. You wouldn't want it to corrode from inactivity like happens to a battery if you leave it in a device unused do you? That would be bad.
Just trying to be helpful!
gee buddy I sure do appreciate your willingness to help me out. .....I've been riding quite a bit lately but haven't been watching my diet or really even trying to lose weight. That all changes now. I'm going to get on a strict diet to try to drop some weight. I'm around 270lbs and would like to get back on the bike when I have doctor approval. I have a fatbike and that would probably be the best to get started back on due to the cushy ride.
Old 10-26-12, 10:13 AM
psalm
A square going nowhere

Bikes: CAAD 8 & CAAD 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take your time, don't rush it and make it worse. The bike will be there when you're ready.
Old 10-26-12, 11:33 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18596 Post(s)
Liked 16,097 Times in 7,559 Posts
Originally Posted by psalm
Take your time, don't rush it and make it worse. The bike will be there when you're ready.
+1. I have/had two bulging discs, including one between L5-s1. Lost about 50% of my strength in my right leg at one point. Finally needed a shot when PT did't help it enough. It was frustrating not to be able to ride, especially since the bike is part of my everyday lifestyle and not just a form of exercise. But the alternative is worse.

Recover soon.
Old 10-26-12, 01:01 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by leeinmemphis
Hey everyone,

Yesterday I stepped off of a ladder at the house and immediately collapsed in excruciating pain. The fire dept and ambulance got me in the hospital yesterday soon after. I lost feeling/control of my body below my waist. It was like my legs would let me stand or even sit up even though my brain was telling my body to. I had a disc between l5-s1 that was severely bulged and last night they went in and did whatever they had to do(haven't seen doctor yet to get the details). I was curious if anyone had back surgery knows how long I will have to be off the bike? Doc told my wife I can't pick up anything weighing more than a phonebook for at least 8 weeks. I've recently purchased a Surly Big Dummy cargo bike and am definitely going to miss riding it for quite a while. I don't normally ask for this but if you are of the praying kind I sure could use some. I still don't feel my legs and am praying my feeling will return.
PLEASE!! Let the doctor be your guide since, in a very real way, you're playing with fire with a back injury like this!

The best folk's here can , or should, do is just be moral support for your recovery. The bike will be there when your doctor says ok to ride again.

Best of luck and a speedy ,doctor guided, recovery!!

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 10-26-12, 01:06 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Bulge excision or fusion? With a fusion, the bone graft will need to heal and solidify. Wait for the doc and then ask questions.

Goodd luck with your recovery!
Old 10-26-12, 01:52 PM
Bethany

Bikes: 2013 Ridley X-BOW

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feel better soon. Do what the doc says so you stay healthy and recover faster. Your bike will be waiting for you.
Old 10-26-12, 02:01 PM
leeinmemphis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
it was a bulged disc and he said it couldn't have been much worse. He trimmed it and got it away from the nerves that was causing my pain. Yesterday I could move my legs but it was almost like I was paralyzed when I tried to actually use my legs to get up or roll over.....they just wouldn't do any work. I am going to follow the doctors orders to a perfect "T" you don't have to worry about that at all. I was just curious if anyone had an idea of how long I would be off. I have been sitting here worried all day about whether my legs would work when it got time to get up. The physical therapist came in and I cannot tell you how relieved I was when I could stand up on my own(with the use of a walker).

I guess this morning I just felt the need to tell someone about this and probably used this post just to be able to vent a little. Sorry for bothering everybody with this I was just needing to get it out I guess.
Old 10-26-12, 02:28 PM
Rudz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a bulging disc when I was younger doctor made me drop some weight and I was on muscle relaxers and pain meds for a few months, eventually worked it out, yours sounds a lot worse than mine was. Good luck and hope you heal fast
Old 10-26-12, 02:39 PM
Ali_Pine

Location: Pennsylvania and Colorado - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor... Retired now Ski Bum... My Ride - Montague - Paratrooper

Bikes: Montague - Paratrooper

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Be careful where the get their stroids mixed.
Old 10-26-12, 02:58 PM
Shellyrides

Bikes: C1970 to 74 Peugeot, 80's Lotus 3000 m mountain bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are not bothering any one. Forums are for venting and for asking for reassurance. I will light a candle for you tonight for your speedy recovery and please keep us updated on how you are doing!
Old 10-26-12, 02:59 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by leeinmemphis
I guess this morning I just felt the need to tell someone about this and probably used this post just to be able to vent a little. Sorry for bothering everybody with this I was just needing to get it out I guess.
No worries. Vent away!
Old 10-26-12, 05:02 PM
leeinmemphis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks everyone!!!!! Believe it or not but I was discharged and sent home. I can't leave the house for a minimum of 3 weeks. I bet that I will probably be the first of the year until I can even think about riding. Today I contacted the LBS and am going to do a professional fitting on my Cross Check when I am ready. I think a professional fitting would be of great benefit given my circumstances.
Old 10-26-12, 09:11 PM
Bluish Green
Bicycle Commuter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shellyrides
You are not bothering any one. Forums are for venting and for asking for reassurance. I will light a candle for you tonight for your speedy recovery and please keep us updated on how you are doing!
+1

Get well soon!
Old 10-26-12, 09:29 PM
catonec 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
take your time and let it heal properly, very easy to re-injure or stress something else by compensating. Hoping for your recovery.
Old 10-26-12, 09:45 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 923 Post(s)
Liked 2,123 Times in 1,121 Posts
L5-L6 (yeah, I'm a freak) partial diecectomy in 1990 at age 30. It solved the pain and numbness thankfully. Off the bike for maybe 6 mos. during recovery then I started riding flatbar roadbike. I've never been able to return to drop bar road bike for any duration so now I ride recumbent for long distance. I finished PBP last year. It's not the recovery I hoped for but all in all life is pretty good. Your recovery will be different of course but that's one story.
Old 10-26-12, 10:25 PM
deftone

Bikes: P.O.S

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get well soon! Don't rush the recovery! You don't want to do yourself more harm and hurt yourself in the long term
Old 10-26-12, 10:35 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Get better, but remember the back dictates the recovery. Take your time.

Old 10-27-12, 01:26 AM
funrover 

Bikes: Mostly schwinn... few classics

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heal fast and properly!!
Old 10-27-12, 10:08 AM
leeinmemphis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks everyone!!! I feel much better today. I have alot of numbness from my waist down but I have no back pain other than where the actually worked on me. I lurk here a bunch but don't post much. I do appreciate all of your feedback and well wishes. thanks again.
Old 10-28-12, 06:49 PM
tpy2010

Bikes: Trek 5500, 3 Catrike expeditions with various modifications, red line mountain bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Praying the best for you! Pretty scarey experience.

Tom