Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rear tire wearing fast (Trainer?)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rear tire wearing fast (Trainer?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-12, 12:38 PM
antmeeks
Maud Magnet

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Allez Comp, 2001 Kona Stuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit
This kind of sucks for me. I would like to doing some trainer work early in the morning and still ride on the weekends. Where I live, I can ride almost every day of the year. I don't have an extra bike that I can put on the trainer. Do you think the trainer wears out a tire faster than the road? I would think the road is more abrasive than a smooth piece of metal.
I'm having a hard time understanding why someone would need an extra wheel & cassette for a trainer, much less a whole extra bike(!).

I mean, it literally takes less than 5 minutes to change & inflate a tire - Is it really that big of a hassle do do a few times a week or even once a day?

And for the people who don't like getting chain grease on their dainty little fingers, that's what gloves are for.

And BTW, you do know that you should be rotating your tires every 250 miles anyway, right?

Last edited by antmeeks; 11-15-12 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-15-12, 12:44 PM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by antmeeks
I'm having a hard time understanding why someone would need an extra wheel & cassette for a trainer, much less a whole extra bike(!).

I mean, it literally takes less than 5 minutes to change & inflate a tire - Is it really that big of a hassle do do a few times a week or even once a day?

And BTW, you do know that you should be rotating your tires every 250 miles anyway, right?
Do you do this yourself? Changing the tire for ever trainer ride, 3x/week? If you do, ok good for you.

Having done this myself for 2 weeks, it was such a royal pain that it literally stopped me from doing my trainer rides, and I can change the tube/tire in 5 minutes no problemo. It sucks major, and as said, any barrier to getting on the trainer will just make you much less likely to even do the workout.
Old 11-15-12, 12:53 PM
antmeeks
Maud Magnet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
Do you do this yourself? Changing the tire for ever trainer ride, 3x/week? If you do, ok good for you.
No, I don't bother with a trainer because I ride outside, with the only exception being when it's raining or below freezing.

I'm lucky though, I have a group that I can do night rides with after work this time of year. I understand not everyone is so lucky.

... It sucks major, and as said, any barrier to getting on the trainer will just make you much less likely to even do the workout.
I'm sorry to hear that.

Last edited by antmeeks; 11-15-12 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-15-12, 12:55 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Having done this myself for 2 weeks, it was such a royal pain that it literally stopped me from doing my trainer rides, and I can change the tube/tire in 5 minutes no problemo. It sucks major, and as said, any barrier to getting on the trainer will just make you much less likely to even do the workout.
Yes, absolutely. Putting GP4000s on a wheel isn't a lot of fun anyway. Doing it three times a week plus putting on a trainer tire. So, six tire changes a week might keep me off of the trainer. A spare wheel or bike would be better.
Old 11-15-12, 12:57 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No, I don't bother with a trainer because I ride outside, with the only exception being when it's raining or below freezing.

I'm sorry to hear that.
I rode outside for several years at night but it is easy to get killed here riding at night. I live in a heavily populated area.
Old 11-15-12, 01:03 PM
antmeeks
Maud Magnet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit
I rode outside for several years at night but it is easy to get killed here riding at night. I live in a heavily populated area.
So do I. Downtown Atlanta, one of the worst traffic areas in the country.

That said, I would NEVER EVER ride at night alone. As mentioned, I have night groups that I ride with a couple of times per week.

Cars aren't gonna hit a moving mass of 15-20 riders, taking up an entire lane with headlights & enough blinkies to outshine an emergency vehicle.
Old 11-15-12, 01:05 PM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm lucky though, I have a group that I can do night rides with after work this time of year. I understand not everyone is so lucky.

I'm sorry to hear that.

CONCLUSION: You should probably give the repeated tire changing a try on the trainer yourself before suggesting that it's not a big deal.
Old 11-15-12, 01:25 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So do I. Downtown Atlanta, one of the worst traffic areas in the country.

That said, I would NEVER EVER ride at night alone. As mentioned, I have night groups that I ride with a couple of times per week.

Cars aren't gonna hit a moving mass of 15-20 riders, taking up an entire lane with headlights & enough blinkies to outshine an emergency vehicle.
Group rides at night I would do. I was riding solo. I live in a suburb of Los Angeles. Although the roads are much better here than in LA.
Old 11-15-12, 01:40 PM
Drag
Cardiac Case

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale, Litespeed, Lynskey

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Cheapo rear wheel with old or cheap or trainer-specific tire and cheap cassette. Swap as needed.
What he said.
Old 11-15-12, 04:21 PM
antmeeks
Maud Magnet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I regularly swap out my tires a couple times a week depending on the road conditions of where I'm riding & weather... So... no, it's not a big deal as far as I can tell.
Old 11-15-12, 05:03 PM
rogerstg
Fred-ish

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Only if you're OCD.
Old 11-15-12, 05:06 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I regularly swap out my tires a couple times a week depending on the road conditions of where I'm riding & weather... So... no, it's not a big deal as far as I can tell.
I wouldn't do it. I would be less likely to use the trainer if I needed to swap out tires every time. I would buy another cassette and swap wheels.
Old 11-15-12, 05:12 PM
antmeeks
Maud Magnet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rogerstg
Only if you're OCD.
Guilty.

But in my defense, lot's of cr@p roads where I live. And I like keeping as many of my hard-earned Washington's as possible
Old 11-15-12, 05:43 PM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I still doubt you do it EVERY week, 3x a week, day in day out, and as you have to do it for the trainer. It might seem like no biggie to you, but trust me - you actually get on that trainer 3x per week (or more) and you'll want not only a 2nd cassette, but a whole 2nd bike to spare you the inconvenience. It's a world of difference to motivate to change a tire pre-ride for an outdoor ride, especially a group ride, even in the dark, than to motivate to get on a painful trainer by yourself.
Old 11-15-12, 05:50 PM
misterwaterfall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still doubt you do it EVERY week, 3x a week, day in day out, and as you have to do it for the trainer. It might seem like no biggie to you, but trust me - you actually get on that trainer 3x per week (or more) and you'll want not only a 2nd cassette, but a whole 2nd bike to spare you the inconvenience. It's a world of difference to motivate to change a tire pre-ride for an outdoor ride, especially a group ride, even in the dark, than to motivate to get on a painful trainer by yourself.
Let's see: 2 hour ride, 5 minutes to change the tire, thats about a 4% increase in time. I take longer than that trying to decide what to put on the tv while I'm riding the trainer anyway.

I swap about once a week seeing as I only get one outside ride per week. It's not that bad. HTFU
Old 11-15-12, 05:55 PM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by misterwaterfall
Let's see: 2 hour ride, 5 minutes to change the tire, thats about a 4% increase in time. I take longer than that trying to decide what to put on the tv while I'm riding the trainer anyway.

I swap about once a week seeing as I only get one outside ride per week. It's not that bad. HTFU
It's not the time that's the issue as that's small. It's the extra added difficulty that gives you yet another excuse to not get on the trainer. At 1x/week, it's not so bad, especially if you're not going too hardon, but do it 2-3x/week, with hard efforts thrown in there, and you'll find ANY reason to wuss out of a workout on the tough days.

I actually ENJOY doing one trainer workout a week as long as it's not a killer one. I'm not happy about workout #2, and if we're talking #3, which is usually a hard interval set, it's wayyyy too easy to find any excuse to bail.

Last edited by hhnngg1; 11-15-12 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-15-12, 05:58 PM
antmeeks
Maud Magnet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...you'll find ANY reason to wuss out of a workout on the tough days.
You're doing it wrong
Old 11-15-12, 06:16 PM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You're doing it wrong
Wish I was, but unfortunately, I'm not. I rode 120-140 miles per week over a 4 month period, and on top of that ran 40 miles per week, and swam 8 miles per week. Worked out to an average of 17 hours per week of training, which meant a good stretch of 19-20 hours. This was pure training time - no prep/travel/shower time included, and I work a full time job and have young kids. I'm pretty motivated to train, and getting up at 4AM to train, and then doing it again at noon and again at 5PM is routine for me.

Riding outdoors, and particularly, riding with groups is ALWAYS a pleasure. Getting my bike ready for an outdoor ride, even if it means changing parts, cleaning the crap out of it, etc., is a joy for that ride. Doing bike maintenance before every single trainer ride, like a cassette or tire change means that you won't last too much longer on that trainer if you're doing it as much as I am.
Old 11-15-12, 07:01 PM
misterwaterfall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not the time that's the issue as that's small. It's the extra added difficulty that gives you yet another excuse to not get on the trainer. At 1x/week, it's not so bad, especially if you're not going too hardon, but do it 2-3x/week, with hard efforts thrown in there, and you'll find ANY reason to wuss out of a workout on the tough days.

I actually ENJOY doing one trainer workout a week as long as it's not a killer one. I'm not happy about workout #2, and if we're talking #3, which is usually a hard interval set, it's wayyyy too easy to find any excuse to bail.
I ride the trainer 3-4 times a week, it's 1 outside ride I get per week not inside. Yea it sucks but riding outside in the pitch blackness and rain would suck more so what can ya do
Old 11-15-12, 10:49 PM
gamby

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use an old Hutchinson Excel (cheapo) tire for my trainer. I also have a second bike, so I use that on the days I can get outside.

I weigh 185-188, so I can get a rear tire down to the cords in around 1000 miles. I don't get too well-acquainted with my rear tires. They're short relationships.
Old 11-16-12, 05:26 AM
antmeeks
Maud Magnet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gamby
I use an old Hutchinson Excel (cheapo) tire for my trainer. I also have a second bike, so I use that on the days I can get outside.

I weigh 185-188, so I can get a rear tire down to the cords in around 1000 miles. I don't get too well-acquainted with my rear tires. They're short relationships.
I'm about the same as you 187-190, and I wore out a S-Works Turbo on the rear in about 600. Again, crappy roads where I live.

But since then I now buy thicker tires - and rotate often!
Old 11-16-12, 07:28 AM
rogerstg
Fred-ish

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Guilty.

But in my defense, lot's of cr@p roads where I live. And I like keeping as many of my hard-earned Washington's as possible
I still don't see how you save any money by rotating your tires. Just replace each as they wear out.
Old 11-16-12, 07:34 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Liked 464 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Cheapo rear wheel with old or cheap or trainer-specific tire and cheap cassette. Swap as needed.
This is what I did last year.
Old 11-16-12, 07:44 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by rogerstg
Only if you're OCD.
Or if you don't ride many miles.

I know people who rotate tires...they buy a new tire, put it in front, put the front tire in the back, then rotate again after a 1000 miles or so.

I just buy two new tires. I am too lazy to keep track of tire rotations, I already have enough of a hard time remembering to rotate my car's tires.
Old 11-16-12, 07:52 AM
eja_ bottecchia

I use two bikes myself - one sits mainly on the trainer (racing bike) and the other is my outdoor training bike, but I did do the wheel change (and even tire change for a short time) thing for trainer riding for a good half a year before. It's a pain even though it doesn't take long. The chain grease was the most annoying thing for me, even if it was pretty easy to clean off.

My philosophy that's worked thus far: you really have to make it as EASY as possible to get on that trainer and do real workouts. I don't know anybody who enjoys trainer workouts to the point of looking forward to them after a few weeks of regular trainer workouts. Any little thing you can do to make it easier is worth it. It's hard enough to motivate after a stressful 11 hour workday to get on a trainer to hammer it out and then have no rest afterwards due to family commitments - I've lost entire workouts because that little wheel change tipped me from doing the workout to saying 'screw it', and I'm very motivated to HTFU. (Most of my workouts are 4AM-6AM, and then a 2nd 30min one at lunch, and then a 3rd one from 5:30-6:30PM - I usually try and do 3 a day, but it's split between Swim/bike/run.)
Exactly my situation. Anything I can to make it easier to ride indoors is well worth the small investment in money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.