Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Tadpole or Delta?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Tadpole or Delta?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-05, 06:53 PM
_Tony

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tadpole or Delta?

What type of recumbent trike would be better for long bike trips?
Old 08-19-05, 09:07 PM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tadpoles are cooler.
Old 08-20-05, 11:43 AM
JCB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know what you mean by long. I ride my Sun EZ3-USX on trips of about 25 miles with no problems at all---but I must admit I long for a neat tadpole.

The only concern I have about tadpoles is being so low and visiblilty. I know it makes them fast---but man, some of them are butt bouncing low.
Old 08-20-05, 03:46 PM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JCB
I don't know what you mean by long. I ride my Sun EZ3-USX on trips of about 25 miles with no problems at all---but I must admit I long for a neat tadpole.

The only concern I have about tadpoles is being so low and visiblilty. I know it makes them fast---but man, some of them are butt bouncing low.
That's what flags are for... Attach the flag of your favourite country or sports team. Or a pirate flag! That would be cool.
Old 08-20-05, 05:32 PM
geebee

Bikes: GT3 trike,Viper chopper, electric assist Viper chopper,Electric moped(Vespa style)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The biggest difference is handling, the tadpoles have significantly better handling compared to the vast majority of deltas, there are a couple of high end deltas that are meant to handle ok but the basic design of a delta reduces stabiliy under brakes which is often when you need it most where as a tadpole under brakes increases stability.
The lower height of the tadpoles also means a lower center of gravity and less wind drag, on a long ride into a head wind it can be significant. They are safe in traffic just use a flag and common sense, I often bomb around in the centre of the city at close to peak hour times and feel safer on the trike than a df.
Old 08-21-05, 08:35 AM
beowoulfe
Honorable Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Greenspeed tadpole that I use extensively for long distance touring. Did the east coast last year fully loaded. Can't say enough good things about it. It's a solid machine.
Old 08-21-05, 07:12 PM
dougfoot
Micro Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a Trice Micro and have been very happy with this trike - I ride about 100 miles weekly, peaking during the season with the Seattle to Portland Bicycle Classic 200 mile one day ride (I have ridden this ride 4 times now). The Micro has been a very comfortable machine to ride.
Having over 15,000 miles on it now, I'm looking to buy a new trike, however, owning a new Trice trike is out of the budget right now, I can change the rear of the Micro out for a Monster. This will also simplify the drivetrain as well - as I am swapping out the Speeddrive for a standard road triple (30/42/55) in preparation for the change.
Old 08-22-05, 07:09 PM
_Tony

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm planning on doing the Seattle to Portland one day ride as well once I get my trike. I'm thinking of getting an ICE Q for its speed, stability and price.