Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Finding right frame size for first serious bike: Is it ok to prefer a size smaller?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Finding right frame size for first serious bike: Is it ok to prefer a size smaller?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-12, 05:45 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by brianmcg123
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Whichever size you get wont matter because you will want to get an even nicer bike in six months.
Probably true.

I definitely fall into the camp of preferring the smaller size. I found this out quite by accident. After being vaguely unhappy riding bikes the "right" size for me I test rode a used bike that was smaller but set up bigger (with a 130mm stem).

I bought the bike and have owned it for 14 years. Now that I'm 14 years older my position is different and it's less than ideal. It happens.
Old 11-29-12, 05:53 PM
hamster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, I give up. OP, get whatever you makes feel right.

All I know is that I'm shorter than everyone who commented above, I just got a bike with a 54 cm frame and it was almost annoyingly short in stock config, resulting in a fairly upright, non-aerodynamic posture. (I actually measured my torso angle https://bikedynamics.co.uk/guidelines.htm and it was around 50 degrees.) I had to increase setback and to lose some spacers under the stem to get it right. A longer stem is on my list.

Last edited by hamster; 11-29-12 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-29-12, 06:32 PM
lazerzxr

Bikes: Colnago C59 Italia Di2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigfred
Um,.........saddle for aft should be, on a road bike, a function of positioning realative to the bottom bracket, not used to adjust reach. The stem could easily enough be switched out, but why if the 54 already feels more comfortable?

None of us are trying to 'fit' the guy over the internet and with so little info. Even one of the shop staff said either could work for him. He's stated that he feels more comfortable on the 54 and asked if there was any reason, not to get the smaller size? To which most of the respondents have replied, "no", by suggesting that he get the bike that does feel more comfortable.

It's not an arguement. It's a bunch of BF'ers encouraging a guy to go with his personal appraisal over any mathmatical models.

And, as far as LBS staff reliably fitting anyone to a bike. I have loads of horror stories. I would almost trust someone putting there numbers up here and letting us argue over where they should start more than half the lbs's I've walked into.
I agree with this except the last paragraph.

Your first bike will always be a learning experience so I think go with what feels right now and accept that is likely to change. longer stems can easily be fitted. As a side point, moving the seat forward will often make the bar Feel further away.
Old 11-29-12, 07:07 PM
elboGreaze
carpe diem

Bikes: CAAD 9 , Schwinn World, Prologue, Madison , Sports Tourer ; Ironman , Opus lll , Allez , Peugeot 753, Trek 531 (2) , Assenmacher ( custom)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would suggest to go with what feels best (54) , but you may want to start with a nice pre-owned bike to save some dough in case you gravitate towards something else after a year or so. And it will happen.
Old 11-29-12, 08:09 PM
junglemoth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, thank you for all of the replies! I really appreciate the input and I think I am going to follow my gut and get a 54 cm frame. The bike I was riding was a Specialized Allez Evo (which was out of my price range), but the guy at the shop wanted me to try two different sizes of the same bike.

I think it general I just prefer a more compact set-up. Weird analogy, but I play drums and have always liked my kit to be compact and really tight as opposed to spread out.

I'm going to go to another bike shop on Saturday and try riding a different brand to see how the sizing varies. This guy carries Felt bikes which is what I was actually planning on getting.

Again, thanks for the help. I'm sure you'll be hearing from me more as I dive deeper into the world of cycling!
Old 11-29-12, 08:17 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I, just as you, am 5' 9-1/2" and ride bikes ranging from 53 to 60 cm (BB center to top of seat tube) but find bikes around the 56 cm to be the sweet spot for me. Shorter frames make me feel somewhat cramped, while taller frames make me feel stretched out. With that said, so long as I can get the stem and seat adjusted to an acceptable level, I'm OK.

I concur with the guys in the LBS who who suggested going to a 56cm frame, unless you have very short legs.
Old 11-29-12, 08:18 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A quick caution. One bicycle fit for a given size varies just as much as clothing sizing does. Because you're comfortable on one make and model 54 or 56 does not necessarily mean you'll be equally happy on a different make/model of the same declared size. To make an apples to apples comparison you need to look at saddle set back, effective top tube length and frame stack, all realative to the bottom bracket.
Old 11-29-12, 08:29 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Liked 2,246 Times in 1,508 Posts
Originally Posted by hamster
As you get more experienced with road bikes, you'll want to adopt a more aggressive position. If you start with a frame that is too small, you'll be unable to do that because there's a limit to how far back the seat can go and to how long the stem can be.
Take a look at the "aggressive" position pro's ride - a very small frame, lots of seat post showing, and a 130-140 stem. Seat fore/aft position doesn't get adjusted like that.
Old 11-29-12, 10:13 PM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
5'10" and my 54 feels great. Then again I came down form a 58. Two sales persons (at different trips), the fitter and the website sizing chart agreed, but most of all my body agreed.
Old 11-29-12, 11:16 PM
TDRILL

Bikes: 11 BMC SLR01 / 09 Madone 4.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a new rider, your fit / position will likely change especially over the first year or two. Don't sweat it, choose what feels right now. I'm 6'2 and any shop I walk into wants to put me on a 58. My first purchase was a 60 with normal stem length. I tried 58s that felt too cramped. I currently ride a 56 with setback seatpost and a long stem. You can fit a range of bikes man, just get supporting components to put you in the proper position.

As noted, set your seatback according to the bottom bracket position and then change stems until hand position is correct. You should know before you buy the bike that you can put your seat in the proper location relative to the cranks if anyone at the shop has any business working there. I don't want to start a debate over bike fit but as a general rule of thumb, pedals at 3 and 9, string with a weight on bottom, press string to front of your forward most knee, the string should pass through the spindle of the pedal.

Seat height, heels on the pedals, pedal without rocking hips with full leg extension. When you put ball of foot on pedal like normal pedaling, you are in the neighborhood of proper seat height while keeping knee bent at the bottom of crank rotation. Small adjustments from there

Good luck and have fun

Last edited by TDRILL; 11-29-12 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-30-12, 04:28 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Liked 233 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by TDRILL
As a new rider, your fit / position will likely change especially over the first year or two. Don't sweat it, choose what feels right now. I'm 6'2 and any shop I walk into wants to put me on a 58. My first purchase was a 60 with normal stem length. I tried 58s that felt too cramped. I currently ride a 56 with setback seatpost and a long stem. You can fit a range of bikes man, just get supporting components to put you in the proper position.

As noted, set your seatback according to the bottom bracket position and then change stems until hand position is correct. You should know before you buy the bike that you can put your seat in the proper location relative to the cranks if anyone at the shop has any business working there. I don't want to start a debate over bike fit but as a general rule of thumb, pedals at 3 and 9, string with a weight on bottom, press string to front of your forward most knee, the string should pass through the spindle of the pedal.

Seat height, heels on the pedals, pedal without rocking hips with full leg extension. When you put ball of foot on pedal like normal pedaling, you are in the neighborhood of proper seat height while keeping knee bent at the bottom of crank rotation. Small adjustments from there

Good luck and have fun
I agree with this. At 6'-3" many would consider me between sizes. I've owned bikes in both directions and definitely prefer the smaller option. It's like the difference between a full size sedan and a sportier model car. A so called "58cm" frame with 57.5 VTT outfitted with a setback seatpost and 120mm stem suits me just fine. A little less stable, but snappier handling works well for my CAT 6 racing.
Old 11-30-12, 08:00 AM
Brandonub

Bikes: 2012 Cervelo R3 Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm another one that could go a couple directions, but prefer the smaller bike fit. At 5'8", I'm on a 51, which sounded small to me when the LBS mentioned that I should give one a shot, but it felt great to me, so that's what I wound up with. Ultimately, buy what you're comfortable on, not what you think you should be comfortable on.
Old 11-30-12, 08:08 AM
rogerstg
Fred-ish

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigfred
It's not an arguement. It's a bunch of BF'ers encouraging a guy to go with his personal appraisal over any mathmatical models.
Especially if the mathematical model includes that they have 56s in stock and not 54s.
Old 11-30-12, 08:39 AM
danvuquoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll go against the grain here and recommend the 56.

Right now your "feel" is probably just a preference for a relatively upright riding position.

As you get more experienced with road bikes, you'll want to adopt a more aggressive position. If you start with a frame that is too small, you'll be unable to do that because there's a limit to how far back the seat can go and to how long the stem can be.

There's nothing wrong with having a big bike as long as you have clearance for the jewels and your legs remain slightly bent at the bottom of the stroke.
Wait what? A more aggressive position is harder on a smaller frame? Seeing as that smaller bikes generally have smaller head tubes, seatposts can be swapped out for up to 60mm of set back + rail adjustment, and stems can regularly reach into the 140mm range... how the heck do you figure that?
Old 11-30-12, 03:55 PM
hamster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by danvuquoc
Wait what? A more aggressive position is harder on a smaller frame? Seeing as that smaller bikes generally have smaller head tubes, seatposts can be swapped out for up to 60mm of set back + rail adjustment, and stems can regularly reach into the 140mm range... how the heck do you figure that?
OK, imagine two bikes, same geometry, same set back and same stem, one is 54 and the other is 56. Same rider. Set the saddle at the same height and remove some spacers under the stem from the 56 to bring handlebars down to the same height. What differences still remain?

* 56 has a higher top tube (as mentioned above, jewel clearance)
* 56 has a ~15 mm longer wheelbase than 54
* 56 has a ~15 mm longer horizontal distance from the saddle to the handlebars.

That's 15 mm that you'll always have in addition to whatever crazy long stem you want to buy.

And, with longer wheelbase and shorter stem, you get better weight distribution. (You're certainly free to buy a 140 mm stem if you want, but that will put your brifters well ahead of the axis of the front wheel, and that's not very stable or safe.)
Old 11-30-12, 04:23 PM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Okay, I give up. OP, get whatever you makes feel right.

All I know is that I'm shorter than everyone who commented above, I just got a bike with a 54 cm frame and it was almost annoyingly short in stock config, resulting in a fairly upright, non-aerodynamic posture. (I actually measured my torso angle https://bikedynamics.co.uk/guidelines.htm and it was around 50 degrees.) I had to increase setback and to lose some spacers under the stem to get it right. A longer stem is on my list.
You need to get a fit. You can not correct your reach by changing your saddle setback.
Old 11-30-12, 04:24 PM
CenturionIM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I (5'8") was buying my first road bike. all charts/calculators/online pages etc etc points me to 54cm. Now I know I need a 52cm..it really does take riding time to know what you want. That said seat post sizing(what 54/52 is refering to) doesn't matter that much. raising seat post is easy. top tube length is a way better determinator of fit and comfort. so check the geometry

Bonus link:
https://sheldonbrown.com/frame-sizing.html
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

Last edited by CenturionIM; 11-30-12 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-01-12, 11:41 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Smaller is better than bigger, at least in this respect.
Old 12-09-12, 06:34 AM
JayhawKen
Knocking off the rust

Bikes: LeMond Tourmalet, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread has aged about a week so you may have already bought your bike, but another decision point is your intended usage. If you expect to end up a bit more aggressive in your riding or have intentions of trying racing, you'll likely have a preference for the smaller frame.

And just to add another n+2 data points, at 5'9" I have a 53 LeMond and a 54 Tarmac, and was able to get them both to an identical setup.