Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What's your opinion on Softride?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-12, 01:35 PM
owenmyers

Bikes: Fondriest, 86 Team Fuji

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've been seeing way too many Softrides on craigslist, is it because they look fun but don't ride very well? Just a guess. I would honestly like to buy one but i'm trying to figure out why people want to get rid of them. What's your opinion on the brand and their unique technologies? How do they ride?
Old 12-03-12, 01:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,358 Times in 864 Posts
People get older and have families, so don't need them any more. ???
Old 12-03-12, 01:40 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
I love mine.

Old 12-03-12, 01:41 PM
owenmyers

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
good guess, or maybe they have bills to pay, or maybe it's taking up too much space. ??? The list goes on...
Old 12-03-12, 01:50 PM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 483 Times in 195 Posts
[img][/img]
Old 12-03-12, 01:53 PM
MrEss
likes to ride an old bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They're bizarre. I'd love to try one, but suspect I would not want to keep it.
Old 12-03-12, 01:57 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,046 Times in 1,882 Posts
I briefly had a Softride Powerwing, which I wanted to use for time trials, duathlons and triathlons. They're very top heavy and as a result, they seem slow handling and feel awkard when climbing out of the saddle. They also severely restrict the standover height, so they're not real good for stop and go riding. The oddest thing was how many times I knocked the saddle trying to throw my leg over it. After rding a normal bicycle for so long, you become calibrated as to how high you have to lift your leg and you routinely just clear it. But with a Softride, the unloaded beam sits an inch or two higher and you continually hit it until you re-calibrate your leg lift.

Now, these things were minor inconveniences, for my intended use. Things went fine on TTs and duathlons but on triathlons, riding in my Speedo, my bare thighs were constantly rubbing and chafing on the wide beam. A little vaseline helped but occaissional wind gusts would sometimes inbed sand and dirt in the vaseline and that just made things worse. I sold after less than season.

The other concern is that the beams have to be selected based on rider weight, so it's not like you just buy just any old Softride. Replacing beams are expensive. If you selection the right beam, there's little bounce and it does make for a more plush ride.

Last edited by T-Mar; 12-03-12 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-03-12, 01:59 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I have heard the Softride bicycles ride like pogo sticks. If you like that in a bike, go for it. Note that I do not know that on personal experience, but from second hand account by a friend who owned one previously.
Old 12-03-12, 02:11 PM
VolvoJP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one of the early Paul Barkley softrides and love it. Don't really notice a whole lot of difference on an average ride, but it does take out out some bumps. I can definitely see how it woul be annoying if you had a beam that was too soft for you though.
Old 12-03-12, 02:11 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by photogravity
I have heard the Softride bicycles ride like pogo sticks. If you like that in a bike, go for it. Note that I do not know that on personal experience, but from second hand account by a friend who owned one previously.
Sounds like he had one with a beam that was too light for his weight.
Old 12-03-12, 02:31 PM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
owenmeyers, A couple of members in the bike club had a Softride and they liked them. For a few years they were popular tri bike around here. There were different beams for rider's weight and maybe something else that could be adjusted or perhaps a replaceable elastomer doughnut(?).

Otherwise I just have their hitch rack, which is bombproof.

Brad
Old 12-03-12, 04:39 PM
owenmyers

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok. So they sound like decent bikes for tri-athalons but not for everyday use. Does the bike actually have a soft ride? Is there some sort of flex or suspension from the beam?
Old 12-03-12, 05:07 PM
rhenning

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
My wife and I have 4 bikes that are Softrides or Softride equipped. She and I have a Paul Barkey preproduction bikes and I have a Softride production single. All are road bikes. Mine also have front suspension stems on them. She and I also have a Burley Rock & Roll Softride equipped tandem. Great cross country riding bikes but you must learn to ride them the right way. You have to pedal in circles or you will pogo the bike. The other worst thing you can do is to get out of the saddle. The bikes are meant for you sit on and enjoy the ride. I wouldn't do this on a regular basis but I one time riding in a paceline hit a brick I coundn't see at 20+ MPH. No flat tire, no bent rim, no loss of control, just a loud thump and then a careful stop to see if I had damaged anything important. The red bike is the Paul Barkley and the other is the factory bike. Roger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_8894.JPG (76.6 KB, 27 views)
IMG_8895.JPG (64.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 12-03-12, 05:21 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by owenmyers
Ok. So they sound like decent bikes for tri-athalons but not for everyday use. Does the bike actually have a soft ride? Is there some sort of flex or suspension from the beam?
The beam definitely flexes and takes away a lot of the jarring. You still feel stuff, mainly though the handlebars, but it's only when you go back to a rigid frame that you realize how much work the beam is doing. The secret is selecting the right beam, to provide a satisfactory balance of shock absorption while not giving so much bounce that it affects your pedalling motion.

Unfortunatley, the beam is not tunable per say. I forget how many beams there are. There may or may not be one to give the balance you want. I don't even know if you can still obtain replacement beams. If not, you have to make sure the one you buy is right for you. Oh, they have been known to break and the it's also suggested that the mounting bolt be replaced periodically (I forget how often).

I know people who have successfully raced on them but I just don't like the top heavy feel. Around town, the lack of standover height is a problem unless you constantly remain seated and use a curb for a footrest at stops. Personally, I think they're at the best in longer, relatively flat and straight rides, like half and full centuies in Florida or Texas. Also good for relatively flat and straight TT and duathlons. Include triathlons too, unless you have very big thighs.
Old 12-03-12, 05:22 PM
T-Mar

Good point, they do work much better with a fluid pedalling motion. That was never an issue for me.
Old 12-03-12, 06:15 PM
owenmyers

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Those are some beautiful bikes rhenning. I have made my decision to not buy one because i don't see any tri-athalons in my future. I don't want to concentrate on keeping a fluid motion with my cranks. And I have this awful image of me breaking the beam and falling to my death. But hey, they might be worth alot in the future. Thanks for your opinions!
Old 12-03-12, 06:25 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 913 Posts
Around here, their following is loyal, and mostly female.
Either that, or they can't get anyone to buy them.

I've been beat by several of them in triathlons and have passed the same one at least a dozen times (she's a great swimmer).
I keenly observed the beam motion as I approached from the rear, looking for movement. That's what I keep telling myself, anyway.
Old 12-04-12, 02:44 AM
Captain Blight

Bikes: -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
They will really teach you how to pedal smoothly. I'd like to get one myself if only to learn how not to just hammer up and down.
Old 12-04-12, 06:58 AM
T-Mar

Here's the picture of my former Softride Powerwing. There is one aspect of Softride that I forgot to mention, They really turn heads. So, if you have to be the center of attention, get a Softride.
Attached Images
Softride Powerwing.JPG (80.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 12-04-12, 07:07 AM
T-Mar

I should also mention tha initial set-up of the saddle (height, fore/aft and tilt) is a bit more tedious, due to having to compensate for the beam sag. You set it up, you ride, you adjust, you ride, you make a fine adjustment, you ride, you make a finer adjustment....
Old 12-04-12, 07:51 AM
rhenning

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
T-MAR I thought setting the saddle height was easy to do. Fore/aft because the clamp slides on the beam I just used the same measurement as my Paramount. Tilt can be a little bit of time as it is with any bike. For height I just take my saddle standard height and add 1 inch. The 1 inch was for initial beam flex. Since the beam is always moving as long as you are close you are good. It was always interesting to me that riding the bike I never felt like the beam was moving but I have seen myself on video on the bike the beam is in constant movement. Not large amounts but plus or minus 1/4 of an inch often. I normally ride Brooks B-17 and on my regular bikes after 25 miles or so I had to change saddle position to protect my rear end parts. On the Softrides that was never an issue. Roger

Last edited by rhenning; 12-04-12 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-04-12, 08:31 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by rhenning
T-MAR I thought setting the saddle height was easy to do. Fore/aft because the clamp slide on the beam I just used the same measurement as my Paramount. Tilt can be a little bit of time as it is with any bike. For height I just take my saddle standard height and add 1 inch. The 1 inch was for initial beam flex. Since the beam is always moving as long as you are close you are good...
It was definitely much more involved for me. I guess I'm just more senstive to my saddle position. Also, using it for duatlons and triathlons, I found that being close wasn't good enough, otherwise you would feel it in the legs during the run. Finally, I was probably a bit heavier (relative to my optimum beam weight) than you, as I seem to recall getting a bit more sag that 1". I don't know exact how much beam movement I was getting, but it was never an issue (I'm told that I have a very smooth spin) and it definitely gave a smoother ride.