Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Water bottles are dangerous on long term?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Water bottles are dangerous on long term?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-12, 08:44 AM
SgtPepper64
Specialized

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
This is totally and categorically incorrect. The number refers to the type of plastic the bottle is made out of.
In which case I have been misinformed by mass media. (I got the information from a report on WCBS-TV.)
Old 12-14-12, 08:50 AM
hillcrawler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canam73
I would think after a while all the surface BPA will have leached on out and it would get safer. That's why I only use other people used bottles that I collect from the road side after races and centuries and stuff.
I'm not surprised at all that FDA has come up with such a finding considering USA economy is highly dependant on petrolium based products.
Old 12-14-12, 08:57 AM
canam73

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
This is totally and categorically incorrect. The number refers to the type of plastic the bottle is made out of.

1- PETE (Polyethylene Terephthalate)
2- HDPE (High Density Polyethylene)
3- PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride)
4- LDPE (Low Density Polyethylene)
5- PP (Polypropylene)
6- PS (Polystyrene)
7- Other

The number is on there so the plastics can be sorted into the different types for recycling.
If anyone is concerned about this, #2, #4 & #5 are considered the safest and #3 the most toxic.
Old 12-14-12, 09:39 AM
Frosty861

Bikes: Trek 1400, Trek 6500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm guessing dropping a water bottle is far more dangerous.

Re the Internet.......Bon Jour!
Old 12-14-12, 09:52 AM
WingSuit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for anyone who's ever dropped a bottle and ridden over it I vote for plastic.
Old 12-14-12, 10:15 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Liked 2,064 Times in 1,444 Posts
Originally Posted by Frosty861
I'm guessing dropping a water bottle is far more dangerous.
Especially for someone right behind.
Old 12-14-12, 10:28 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
With all the hazards on the road that confront us as cyclist, I'm thinking that the least of my concerns is a plastic water bottle.
+1. But this is too rational for the 41!

Bigger picture stuff, despite the potential "risks" of non-confirming plastic bottles, there are far greater hazards in life we often ignore or are ignorant about, because they're not getting much media playtime. eg. not much chatter about aspertame these days; even in our low-cal/no-cal sports/recovery drinks.
Old 12-14-12, 01:40 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Liked 432 Times in 154 Posts
Originally Posted by canam73
If anyone is concerned about this, #2, #4 & #5 are considered the safest and #3 the most toxic.
#2 (HDPE) is what milk jugs are made out of.... lots of other stuff too, including automotive fuel tanks.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 12-14-12, 01:43 PM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
#2 (HDPE) is what milk jugs are made out of.... lots of other stuff too, including automotive fuel tanks.
Milk jugs are made out of automotive fuel tanks?

Sorry. Couldn't help it.

Old 12-14-12, 01:46 PM
saratoga

Bikes: ?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glass water bottles?

Everyone has to die from something eventually I guess.
Old 12-14-12, 01:47 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Somnifac
Conclusion: Everything and nothing will kill you.
Life has a 100% mortality rate.
Old 12-14-12, 03:51 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Liked 432 Times in 154 Posts
Usually not, but fuel tanks are often made from recycled milk jugs. (I used to work for a company that made the fuel tanks.)

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 12-14-12, 04:04 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
forget the danger and use the water bottle.
Old 12-14-12, 04:09 PM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With all the hazards on the road that confront us as cyclist, I'm thinking that the least of my concerns is a plastic water bottle.
Actually those are pretty nasty when you run them over... caused many-a-collision in TdF.

Originally Posted by SgtPepper64
Probably the whole BPA thing. I learned that the number in the arrow-triangle on the bottom of standard plastic water bottles displays the concentration of BPA. 1 being the safest and 7 being the worst.

My orange juice bottle this morning has a 1, as well as my Costco\Poland Spring water bottles. However, going to a restaurant the other day I discovered that the new plastic containers they have to take your food home is a level 5 BPA container. Don't want to keep things in there too long.

There are many reusable bottles out there that are completely BPA free. REI carries them as well as other outdoor stores and CamelBak's and Hydrapak's bladders are BPA-free.
Wherever you went for your education, get a refund. Triton, BPA free is still "7"

Also. I believe the numbering system goes all the way to 9 ... ABS

Last edited by MikeyBoyAz; 12-14-12 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-14-12, 04:22 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, I'm holding a '5' right now (coffee) that also says "BPA free"...so forget about that 'the higher the number' theory.

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 12-14-12, 04:54 PM
laserfj
Reasonably Slow...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Glass sounds like a great idea.

+1
Old 12-14-12, 05:00 PM
Nerull

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SgtPepper64
Probably the whole BPA thing. I learned that the number in the arrow-triangle on the bottom of standard plastic water bottles displays the concentration of BPA. 1 being the safest and 7 being the worst.

My orange juice bottle this morning has a 1, as well as my Costco\Poland Spring water bottles. However, going to a restaurant the other day I discovered that the new plastic containers they have to take your food home is a level 5 BPA container. Don't want to keep things in there too long.

There are many reusable bottles out there that are completely BPA free. REI carries them as well as other outdoor stores and CamelBak's and Hydrapak's bladders are BPA-free.
The number has nothing to do with BPA, it identifies the type of plastic.
Old 12-14-12, 05:30 PM
JTGraphics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is some info about plastics but what you take from it is up to you.

From baby bottles to water bottles, our world is filled with food and drink encased in potentially harmful plastics. Not all plastic bottles are created equal--the worst offenders are polycarbonate, PVC and styrene. Avoid these plastics by inspecting any bottles you buy for their recycling symbol, a triangle with a number inside. Polycarbonates are usually a "7," PVC is "3," and styrene is a "6."

Danger

Plastic is a petroleum product with chemicals added to achieve the desired function, whether it's strength, flexibility or longevity. But as the plastic is heated, those chemicals can escape the plastic and be absorbed by food and drink. When we ingest these chemicals, they can cause harm to the brain, the reproductive system and more. Certain types of conditions can accelerate the leaching process, such as microwave heating and placing the plastic in contact with oily or fatty foods.

Bisphenol A

Bisphenol A, also called BPA, comes from polycarbonate plastic bottles. National Toxicology Panel studies found that rats and mice exposed to BPA suffered a range of harmful effects ranging from fetal death to lesions on the prostate or breasts, stunted urinary tract development and early-onset female puberty. In a 2003-2004 study, the CDC tested the urine of 2,517 subjects and found BPA in 93 percent of the samples. As of 2010, the National Toxicology Panel has only "some concern" for BPA exposure in fetuses, infants and children, citing the possibility of adverse effects on the brain, prostate and behavioral development.
PVC

Polyvinyl chloride is used in plastic squeeze bottles as well as plastic wrap. If you buy cooking oil, peanut butter, detergent or window cleaner in plastic bottles, chances are you're bringing PVC into your home. The problem with PVC is that its chemical formula is unstable with additives like lead and plasticizers. This makes the plastic durable and flexible, but it also makes it potentially toxic and a harmful pollutant. Although most PVC exposure happens in or near factories where PVC goods are made, PVC plastic wrap can release a dangerous chemical called DEHA when heated.
Styrene

Polystyrene plastic or resin has the potential to leach the harmful chemical styrene. Long-term exposure to styrene can affect the central nervous system, causing headaches, depression, hearing loss and more. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, it's unclear whether styrene affects the human reproductive system or a child's development. Most styrene exposure occurs through the air, thanks to emissions and tobacco smoke; however, any Styrofoam product also contains styrene.
Avoiding Chemical Leaching

There are ways to avoid having potentially dangerous chemicals leach into your food and drink. Avoid heating any plastic bottles. If you need to warm up baby formula, heat it in a pan on the stove instead of microwaving the formula inside a plastic bottle. Avoid plastics in take-out containers and water bottles; instead, ask for cardboard to-go containers and drink filtered tap water instead of bottled water. If any plastic bottle becomes cloudy or scratched, recycle it immediately.

Old 12-14-12, 05:48 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Domane+, Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, ICE VTX WC

Liked 5,145 Times in 2,308 Posts
Originally Posted by hillcrawler
Can you also confirm that you won't have colorectal cancer in the future because of that?
No, but I'm 61 and my colonoscopy last Spring showed a colon so healthy that my gastroenterologist said I could go 10 years before getting the next one.

Old 12-14-12, 06:24 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Liked 54 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by WingSuit
for anyone who's ever dropped a bottle and ridden over it I vote for plastic.
If the glass is thin enough it would just shatter which would be much less likely to take out the rider behind. Heck, if they're rocking Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, it's unlikely they'll even flat. The marginal weight penalty of glass is easily worth the safety benefits of cycling with glass bottles...
Old 12-14-12, 06:32 PM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I use stainless steel water bottles, I just did not like the "plasticky" taste water got in a plastic bottle after it sits for a while and got warm. They work fine for me but I suppose they would be quite dangerous if dropped at speed.
Old 12-15-12, 08:41 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This.
Old 12-15-12, 08:46 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rootman
I use stainless steel water bottles, I just did not like the "plasticky" taste water got in a plastic bottle after it sits for a while and got warm. They work fine for me but I suppose they would be quite dangerous if dropped at speed.
They have the added benefit of being more dangerous weapons when throwing them at other cyclists or cars, too.
Old 12-15-12, 09:13 AM
rogerstg
Fred-ish

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think that the stuff growing in my bottle might be more dangerous than the bottles composition.
Old 12-15-12, 09:38 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rogerstg
I think that the stuff growing in my bottle might be more dangerous than the bottles composition.
Kill it.
With hot water.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.