Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Fox lockout ring double as compression damping?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-12, 09:29 AM
rolliepollie
Flying Pig

Bikes: 06 Specialized Allez Sport, '10 Trek Fuel EX 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 2010 F120 RL which isn't advertised as having compression adjustment, but the blue lockout ring can turn 270 degrees before locking out, with the last 90' or so giving noticable compression dampening. Will doing this damage the piston? I haven't tried it and not sure if the ring will shift any while riding.
Old 12-20-12, 12:22 PM
ncfisherman

Bikes: Canfield Yelli Screamy, Pivot Mach5, Specialized Roubaix, '65 Hercules, '79 Schwinn Stingray Lil Chic, '68 Schwinn Stingray Fastback, '89 Specialized Allez Epic, '86 Battaglin World Champion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The lockout knob does not have any effect on compression. The lockout only engages in the last few degrees of the turn. You won't damage anything, you might as well just leave it open or closed though.
Old 12-20-12, 01:05 PM
rolliepollie
Flying Pig

Bikes: 06 Specialized Allez Sport, '10 Trek Fuel EX 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Correction:the last 10' or so like you said has some effect on the compression before fully locking out. Guess I'll try tinkering with it when I try doing bunnyhops and see how it goes later.
Old 12-20-12, 02:19 PM
ncfisherman

Bikes: Canfield Yelli Screamy, Pivot Mach5, Specialized Roubaix, '65 Hercules, '79 Schwinn Stingray Lil Chic, '68 Schwinn Stingray Fastback, '89 Specialized Allez Epic, '86 Battaglin World Champion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, before the valve fully closes, you will notice some difference in compression as a tiny amount of oil is still able to pass. This shouldn't be confused with a useful compression adjustment though, which your fork doesn't really have.

Good luck with it.
Old 12-22-12, 12:38 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I agree with NCF-- the lockout is binary on your fork. You can't find a range where it has more compression damping because you aren't adjusting compression. You are flipping a on/off switch.

On the RLC forks that have variable compression, they also have variable lockout force/threshold. But these two settings are entirely separate from the lockout itself, which remains a on/off switch just like your RL.