Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

$10k budget for a new bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-12, 07:44 AM
Perp

Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts

Friend of mine is ready to get herself a new (and expensive bike). She's not a racer. Recreational cyclist who does a lot of social rides. She wants a very light bike, and "endurance" like ride. Frame must not be flashy (minimal or hard to see decals. It can either be bought complete, or get the parts and I can build it up. I'm thinking Al wheels (at least the rim). Budget is set (she has the money to spend), so no need to look for cheaper bikes that will suit her needs.

So far, I was looking at:
Project One Domane
S-works Roubaix
C'dale Evo Black
Old 12-22-12, 07:52 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
10k budget? Anything for 10k must be good. If I were to spend 10k I would want customised...including the paintwork like the Trek project ones.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 12-22-12, 07:59 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Liked 464 Times in 293 Posts
Colnago C59 with Campy EPS and Fulcrum Zero wheels.

The C59 is light, stiff and comfortable.

If she does not want "flashy" look for a C59 with the PR99 color scheme.
Old 12-22-12, 08:14 AM
rebel1916

Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts
I am partial to the Yamaha R6 in that price range. But you can't go wrong with the Kawasaki ZX6R either. The Honda and the Suzuki lack soul...
Old 12-22-12, 08:30 AM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '18 Engin hardtail MTB

Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
Wow! I want to be her friend, too!

Any of those bikes sound OK. There might be questions about how these frames might fit a woman (or HER!) and how well they will perform for endurance (long century rides, etc.) Women, for example, tend to have longer legs/shorter torsos than men. So the frame geometry might be off. For the money, I would not take any chances. I would get her on a full custom carbon or titanium bike that fits her like a glove. Also, going custom will completely get her involved in the process with personalized fitting to build a frame specific to her body and riding style/goals, choosing personal color schemes, plus specific components (smaller ergo levers, women specific saddle, suitable crank arms length, handlebar width for her, etc., etc.) Does she plan on traveling with her bike to Hawaii, Europe or other places? If she is, she might be interested in a frame with S&S couplers, so she can easily fly with her bike. What I mean by all this... She needs to feel 100% this will be HER bike at this price range. Also, there is no reason to top off her budget. You should be able to achieve all this for much less without cutting corners. No matter how much money she has, she'll appreciate it.

Companies to look at: Calfee, Serotta, Linksey, Seven, Rodriguez Ti. Look for companies that show TONS of experience working with women and long-distance, if they are not local to you (how quick and responsive they are, easy and nice to speak on the phone?, etc.)

I'm very excited for her and her commitment to cycling!

Last edited by Chris Pringle; 12-22-12 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-22-12, 09:04 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Liked 297 Times in 142 Posts
If you are a true friend talk her out of it.
Old 12-22-12, 09:05 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Liked 5,571 Times in 3,282 Posts
Somebody needs to find the video of the dentist crashing his Colnago. Ten Grand on a bike for a "recreational" rider is the kind of excess that the bike gods will fix.

Get a $3000 bike and give $7000 to a worthy charity.
Old 12-22-12, 09:05 AM
sstang13
Riding the bike I love.

Bikes: Marinano Delta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.mcipollini.com/en/biciclette I love these bikes..
Old 12-22-12, 09:30 AM
valygrl

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
What a great problem to have!

I wouldn't start by picking frames until you know what fits. You have to start with fit to determine geometry, and work from there to select from appropriately sized frames. If you start by picking a frame, you could easily end up with an idiotic looking high stem, where getting the right frame would minimize the spacer stack and make for a better look.

So, start with a full Specialized BG 3d fit from the best fitter in your area. Then narrow down appropriate frames and pick one. You should probably look beyond those manufacturers -- check out Competitive Cyclist for some beautiful high-end frames. And you should try to see the frames in person. What is her aesthetic? You said not-flashy - but that can be curvy carbon or classic titanium. A lot of recreational/sportive types like ti, though it is heavier than carbon. Personally I can't stand the way those "zertz" things look on the Roubaix, though the frame and geometry is otherwise good, so that ruled out that frame for me.

Forget about off the shelf bikes, you want to pick each part yourself.

Pick individual parts based on a combo of weight and functionality and aesthetics. She'll need to pick a groupset, I picked based on hand comfort, others may have other primary criteria (weight, electronic, etc). Pick wheels, maybe two sets, an AL set for climbing and a carbon set for flats. WHat stem and bars will be partly determined by fit considerations.

With that budget, I would get tubular wheels, since she can afford to have someone glue her tires when needed.

If it was me, with that spec: Scott CR1 SL (b/c geometry is good and I don't like the aesthetics of the Ruby or Trek, which are my other geo. choices, but I didn't review really expensive frames, so there might be something else out there), DA Di2, Zipp carbon short/shallow bars, Ritchey post & stem, Enve System 3.4 and some other light AL wheelset, specialized Ronin S-works saddle Your friend would probably want SRAM Red instead of Di2 since it's much lighter.

You can get other lighter stuff (look at Fairwheel bikes & weightweenies for ideas), but at some point you sacrifice durability, comfort and functionality for weight. There's a good thread on here called something like "Putting my bike on a diet" - look at Soloist Assassin's bikes, he really goes full weight weenie.

Have fun and be patient with the process, to get a fantastic result!
Old 12-22-12, 09:31 AM
valygrl

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Or, use the process above to get a truely fantastic bike with one wheel set, spending $7000, and go on a $3000 bike vacation.
Old 12-22-12, 09:38 AM
Gallo

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
for that money I would go with a full custom build

Bill Holland would be my go to guy. Being from San Diego his reputation is beyond reproach and has been building custom bicycles for cyclist from all walks of life for decades.

The exogrid technology matches titanium with carbon

https://www.hollandcycles.com/
Old 12-22-12, 09:42 AM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With that kind of budget it would be criminal to buy anything off the shelf.
Old 12-22-12, 09:44 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pinerrello or Colnago. Look on Competetive Cyclist. They provide a lifetime guarantee on everything they sell.
Old 12-22-12, 09:57 AM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gallo
for that money I would go with a full custom build

Bill Holland would be my go to guy. Being from San Diego his reputation is beyond reproach and has been building custom bicycles for cyclist from all walks of life for decades.

The exogrid technology matches titanium with carbon

https://www.hollandcycles.com/
+1. Nachoman rides one I believe.
Old 12-22-12, 09:58 AM
Perp

Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the help so far. I'm trying to get her more involved in the process, but she's lazy lol. I'm still trying the custom angle tough. Unfortunately, where we live, there's aren't many high end shops here. Of my 5 bikes, I only got one of them locally (cervelo during the sale last Jan). I'm pushing to a nice FireFly bike but she want carbon.

She does prefer the look of modern frames. She doesn't like the classic frame look. She wants a bike that doesn't look like an advertisement billboard. She does have a short torso for her height. I'll get her fitted too before picking out a frame, just starting to look what's out there for that $. I'm used to the $5-7k price tag lol

It'll be awhile until we actually get the bike. No rush especially for the money she's ready to spend. I want to make sure the bike is absolutely perfect and what she wants.
Old 12-22-12, 10:01 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo
+1

A $10,000 bike will be functionally identical to a $3000 bike.

I'd also say that if she doesn't know exactly what you want, then there's no reason whatsoever for her to drop $10,000 on a single bike.
Old 12-22-12, 10:02 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Somebody needs to find the video of the dentist crashing his Colnago. Ten Grand on a bike for a "recreational" rider is the kind of excess that the bike gods will fix.

A-friggin'-men.
Old 12-22-12, 10:05 AM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.cannondale.com/2013/bikes...ouble-crankset

Without question. Road one of these and they are out of this world.
Old 12-22-12, 10:10 AM
jbchybridrider 

Liked 398 Times in 152 Posts
Olympia Icon.
Old 12-22-12, 10:31 AM
gregf83 

Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts

Cue the guys who can't afford a $3,000 bike. They'll be suggesting she spend $1000 and donate 9000 to charity.

I would find the biggest LBS in your city and shop there. As much as anything she needs to like the look of the bike and it's easiest if she sees them in person.
Old 12-22-12, 10:35 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Perp
$10k budget... Recreational cyclist ... must not be flashy...
Forgive me if it sounds insulting, but isn't flash the only quality difference that $10K buys? Does she want ostentatious but not flashy, something that say's "money" without being in your face about it?
Old 12-22-12, 10:49 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Cue the guys who can't afford a $3,000 bike. They'll be suggesting she spend $1000 and donate 9000 to charity.

I would find the biggest LBS in your city and shop there. As much as anything she needs to like the look of the bike and it's easiest if she sees them in person.
That is quite a massive blanket assumption.
Old 12-22-12, 11:01 AM
pdxtex
Portland, OR, USA

Bikes: kona paddywagon, trek 2.1, lemond nevada city, gt zrx

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
does your friend have any sisters?
Old 12-22-12, 11:03 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 99Klein
https://www.cannondale.com/2013/bikes...ouble-crankset

Without question. Road one of these and they are out of this world.

+1000
Old 12-22-12, 11:04 AM
rolliepollie
Flying Pig

Bikes: 06 Specialized Allez Sport, '10 Trek Fuel EX 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure hope she's at least an experienced rider. Go full custom else it'll be like spending a few grand on a suit not tailored specifically for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.