Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A Tale Of Three Cranks

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

A Tale Of Three Cranks

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-12, 05:57 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
A Tale Of Three Cranks

I had this crazy idea of swapping cranks between three bikes. You see, the Bianchi Brava has a very high BB but for various reasons it had a 165mm Sugino GS crank. The old faithful UO8 has a newish VO, 170mm. The Bertin has a low BB but I'd thrown it together with an old 171mm Sugino Maxi I'd bought decades ago for the UO8. So I thought I'd put the short GS on the Bertin, the VO on the Bianchi, and the Maxy back on the bike I'd bought it for originally. Nice idea but for one thing. The old Maxy hits the chainstay on the UO8. Well, what the '?

Years ago I'd pulled the Maxy off and run the UO8 with its cottered crank, then more recently installed the VO. I don't recall messing around with spindle lengths way back then.

So for the time being I've ended up with the Bianchi nominally better, the Bertin not quite finished, and the UO8 unrideable.

Aaaaargh!

Well, I do have a collection of spindles to try.
Old 12-24-12, 07:14 PM
MrEss
likes to ride an old bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great plan!

If it only hits the chainstay on the drive side, BB spacer to the rescue. (Or, if the spindle is asymmetrical and it hits on the NDS, reverse it and BB spacer to the rescue!) If you dig low tread cranks, this would be ideal.

Otherwise, keep digging in that box of spindles.

Last edited by MrEss; 12-24-12 at 07:35 PM.