Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schrader or presta valve?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-12, 07:02 PM
lostforawhile

Bikes: 1972 Schwinn super sport, heavy no name each cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got some really nice original rims coming for my 71 supersport, of course they will get brand new tubes,gum wall tires,and rim strips, should I stay with the standard Schrader valve or convert to a presta valve type tube? I know they make adapters for the larger holes for the schrader valve, What are the advantages and disadvantages of each one? I do know the presta seal better,but thats the only one I know of, we have a nitrogen tank at work, so of course the new tires will be filled with that.

can someone fix the misspelling in the title? sorry
Old 12-31-12, 07:33 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Liked 1,255 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by lostforawhile
I've got some really nice original rims coming for my 71 supersport, of course they will get brand new tubes,gum wall tires,and rim strips, should I stay with the standard Schrader valve or convert to a presta valve type tube? I know they make adapters for the larger holes for the schrader valve, What are the advantages and disadvantages of each one? I do know the presta seal better,but thats the only one I know of, we have a nitrogen tank at work, so of course the new tires will be filled with that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Valves.jpg (23.2 KB, 68 views)

Old 12-31-12, 07:36 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Liked 1,323 Times in 911 Posts
I wouldn't bother with an adapter to use a PV in a SV rim. Why deal with the hassle?
Do you then buy a Presta to Schraeder adapter so you can top off the tires at the gas station if needed?

Tubes are going to seep air no matter which valve is used.
Old 12-31-12, 07:39 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Liked 1,372 Times in 864 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
I wouldn't bother with an adapter to use a PV in a SV rim. Why deal with the hassle?
Do you then buy a Presta to Schraeder adapter so you can top off the tires at the gas station if needed?

Tubes are going to seep air no matter which valve is used.
I disagree, having had far too many tubes fail at the base of the valve stem. If this happens on Presta-drilled rims, the problem must be even more acute for Prestas in Schraeder-drilled rims. (I have also had Schraeders fail at the same locus.)
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 12-31-12, 07:49 PM
puchfinnland
MIKE is my name!

Bikes: hans lutz, , puch mistral ultima,2x Austro Daimler Smoked chrome Ultima,Austro Daimler Mixte,Austro Daimler 531 mixte, flying arrow,F Moser,

Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts
In Europe woods valve is king,
when changing a tire, you can't dump the air out faster.
if the valve is bad, just change it.
They are available, and worth it.
Old 12-31-12, 07:56 PM
busdriver1959

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Large aircraft use nitrogen in their tires. It's a good idea there because of the huge temperature extremes they see. - 60 C at altitude to +900 C after an aborted takeoff. For a bicycle or car tire I prefer a custom blend of about 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and 1% trace elements. This blend is easy to find if you know where to look.
Old 12-31-12, 08:03 PM
rootboy 

Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
Or, if not, just ask the King of Valves in the European woods.
Old 12-31-12, 08:08 PM
kaliayev
Gouge Away

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by busdriver1959
Large aircraft use nitrogen in their tires. It's a good idea there because of the huge temperature extremes they see. - 60 C at altitude to +900 C after an aborted takeoff. For a bicycle or car tire I prefer a custom blend of about 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and 1% trace elements. This blend is easy to find if you know where to look.
Hope that bend does not come to hard to source.
Old 12-31-12, 08:09 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Liked 1,255 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
Or, if not, just ask the King of Valves in the European woods.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
woods valve.jpg (42.2 KB, 47 views)

Old 12-31-12, 08:11 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
I have also found this blend to be optimal for cycling and strongly recommend it.
Old 12-31-12, 08:15 PM
ChrisM2097

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Rockhopper Disc; Trek 7.5 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They both have their advantages and disadvantages. You'll need to weigh them yourself, and decide which is better for you.

Personally, I use Presta on all my bikes, but carry a Schrader adapter on one of my wheels, just in case. The only reason I'd go with a Schrader valve would be for the ability to replace the valve itself - but those rarely fail, so I'm not too worried about it.
Old 12-31-12, 08:39 PM
auchencrow

Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
I top off my tires before each ride, and like the fact that I don't have to fiddle with or burp my Schrader valves - but most of my bikes are Presta.
Old 12-31-12, 09:24 PM
ClydesterD

Bikes: '97 W'ford X-11, '00 W'ford RS-22; '06 VO Rando; '07 Surly Cross-Check; '08 VO Pass Hunter; Riv Homer Hilsen; '09 Riv Sam Hillborne; '09 VO Polyvalent; '11 Rich Adams; '13 VO Campeur; '17 Riv Cheviot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...should I stay with the standard Schrader valve or convert to a presta valve type tube?
I usually use presta tubes with a presta-valve-to-Schraeder-rim adapter. This lets me take the same road pump on rides and not have to reconfigure the pump if I need to use it. That's a small reason to go all-presta, but I can't think of any reason to mix valve types beyond C&V purity, and this is an acceptable trade-off for me.
Old 12-31-12, 09:27 PM
lostforawhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work in a small aircraft factory, we use that blend on the aircraft tires, so we always have a tank, it's a little different then on the large aircraft ones, the large aircraft also use almost 100 percent in case of a tire fire, no oxygen to promote it, those airliner tires and brakes can get really hot, i want to get this bike on the road and sorted out, i might use the schrader for the moment then switch to better tubes later on
Old 12-31-12, 09:51 PM
JesusBananas
Banana-tastic!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For a bicycle or car tire I prefer a custom blend of about 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and 1% trace elements. This blend is easy to find if you know where to look.
I prefer to fill my tires with hydrogen, which is even lighter than helium.

It also makes the possibility of a flat a more exciting prospect.
Old 12-31-12, 10:00 PM
prathmann

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I do know the presta seal better
Not really. Neither valve will leak unless it gets dirt on the seal and personally I've had that happen more frequently with Presta (but it's rare in any event). Thin bicycle tubes slowly lose pressure by diffusion through the walls of the tube, but that's a function of the material and thickness, not the valve type (using N2 will slow that process slightly). Schrader valves are less likely to break if you exert sideways pressure on them when pumping and don't require that you 'burp' the valve before adding air; Presta valves make it easier to release air when rolling up a tube for compact storage and come in different lengths to fit various depth rims. Either will work fine. I use Presta on my bikes for compatibility with those I ride with so we can use each others tubes and pumps.
Old 12-31-12, 11:17 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Liked 658 Times in 235 Posts
Most of my bikes have Presta, but that's by historical happenstance.

I have had Schrader valve stems pop twice, the rubber de-laminating from the metal core of the stem. It occurred on two different bikes so I can't blame it on one flawed rim. Once was while the bike was just sitting - we came home from vacation and I found a tire flat due to the burst valve stem. The other time was while I was riding - I heard a big bang behind me, felt the bike wobble a bit, stopped and found the burst stem. A Presta's solid metal stem wouldn't fail that way. Schrader valves probably didn't either back when tires ran 70psi. Now that inexpensive tires can run 115-120psi it is probably closer to the design limit of the valve, or so I surmise.
Old 12-31-12, 11:35 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Liked 99 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
^ dats a Schrader with a cap

Dis is a Woods or Dunlop

I've got some really nice original rims coming for my 71 supersport, of course they will get brand new tubes,gum wall tires,and rim strips, should I stay with the standard Schrader valve or convert to a presta valve type tube?
IMO, stay with the Schrader...they day you need air at a service station....you'll thank me
Attached Images
File Type: gif
valvewoo.gif (8.7 KB, 155 views)

Last edited by Velognome; 01-01-13 at 12:30 AM.
Old 12-31-12, 11:50 PM
repechage

Liked 2,848 Times in 2,009 Posts
I like presta, they are slimmer. Might as well go for aesthetics.

Use prestas for the mtb, too, Only bike with Woods/Dunlop is my old Phillips Roadster, still has the original tubes too. I finally had to retire the Dunlop tires on it, the wire came free of the casing, almost 50 years, kind of amazing.

And I wish the BF forum tech folk would customize the spellcheck to keep a number of terms from changing so helpfully.
Presta, chainstays to name a few, it finally learned derailleur. There's a New Year's wish.

Last edited by repechage; 12-31-12 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-31-12, 11:57 PM
lostforawhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know about the valve stem issues, I work with small high pressure tires 8 inch ones with high pressure, aircraft tailwheels, I've built thousands over the years. the old tubes that were made here didnt have issues, but the new chinese tubes always want to seperate where the stem attaches to the tubes. I think the tube quality makes a big difference, you can actually smell the difference, the Chinese tubes have a funky smell to them. On this subject anyone have a reccomendation on quality tubes not made there? if there are any left? even the tubes we get marked Dunlop and Goodyear all say made in china and are the same crappy quality, They also lose air faster, I used to be able to air up a tire, put it on the shelf, and even months later it still had most of it's pressure, now they are flat in a week
Old 01-01-13, 12:32 AM
Captain Blight

Bikes: -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I live and work and ride in North America, so I'd say go with the Schraeder.

Of course, on my bikes, I've ended up with mostly Presta. Not by plan, but by chance, because I'm a scavenger.
Old 01-01-13, 02:31 AM
JReade

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
..Stick with whatever the rim is drilled for. presta to schrader adapter is a dollar, or really close. Why is this a serious question?
Old 01-01-13, 04:01 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Liked 1,323 Times in 911 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
I disagree, having had far too many tubes fail at the base of the valve stem. If this happens on Presta-drilled rims, the problem must be even more acute for Prestas in Schraeder-drilled rims. (I have also had Schraeders fail at the same locus.)
Huh?
My point was why bother using Presta in a Schraeder rim? Use Schraeder.

IF you have "too many tubes fail", it's either operator error or you need to source your tubes elsewhere.
Old 01-01-13, 07:53 AM
T-Mar

Liked 3,052 Times in 1,885 Posts
My preferred solution is to use rims drilled for Schraeder and install a grommet adapter to use Presta. Carry a Presta to Schrader valve adapter and spare grommet. That way you have the both options open, if something drastic happens on a ride.

The valve adapter allows you to fill up at a gas sation if your Presta pump malfunctions.

The valve hole adpater can be popped out if you're out in the boonies, have used your last spare and can only get a Schraeder hybrid tube at the local X-Mart.

The spare grommet can be popped into a riding partner's Schraeder rim to allow him to use Presta, if necessary.
Old 01-01-13, 10:00 AM
rootboy 

Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Velognome

IMO, stay with the Schrader...they day you need air at a service station....you'll thank me
Or, carry one of those little 2 dollar adapters and you can use a service station air hose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.