Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I want a racing/endurance bike!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

I want a racing/endurance bike!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-12, 07:43 AM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steve-in-kville
Ever do business with them?
I got two of the 2011 BMCs, one for me and one for my wife. I have de-raced mine a bit with compact bars, higher spoke count wheels, and a bit different stem, but it is a very nice bike for my needs. Competitive Cyclist has a no-questions-asked return policy, almost unheard-of. The bikes are tuned before assembly and shipment, ready to ride when you reassemble them. Just needed a fit and I was good to go.

They often will reduce or comp the shipping if you ask, or at least that was happening on the BMC deal last year.
Old 12-28-12, 12:31 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I used to look at the BikesDirect site and think they were a good deal, but I've seen them up close and I'm never impressed.
Unless you are buying a custom bike for $4-20,000 bikedirect frames are made in the same asian factories that mainstream frames are made in. And, IMO, bikesdirect is really no worse than trek, specialized, or cannondale when it comes to low-balling wheels, hubs, stem, and post while high-lighting the snazzy shimano/sram dt.
Old 12-28-12, 02:29 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
Unless you are buying a custom bike for $4-20,000 bikedirect frames are made in the same asian factories that mainstream frames are made in. And, IMO, bikesdirect is really no worse than trek, specialized, or cannondale when it comes to low-balling wheels, hubs, stem, and post while high-lighting the snazzy shimano/sram dt.
It depends on which of their offerings you're looking at as to why it might not be impressive.
I almost bought a Motobecane LeChamp CF frameset, and the only reason I didn't was because a shop buddy made me a better offer on another brand through his dealer connections. But after quick consideration of some budget minded MTB options (BikesDirect and Airborne's Marauder) it was pointed out that the suspension type is nothing near what you get from a higher cost bike. Single pivot vs. quad-link suspension, quality of forks, etc. Sure, they were comparable in drivetrain and other components, but that suspension difference is a big deal in the design and quality.
Old 01-04-13, 02:14 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for all the replies and the links. I am a bit unsure what I want to do. I will be ordering/buying something the beginning of February. I started printing out the various specs and comparing bikes.

We are forunate to have a few good shops in our area. There is one or two shops that have a reputation for shoddy workmanship and pushy sales.
Old 01-04-13, 02:44 PM
buffalowings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I asked competitivecyclist about this bike a while back, for anyone who is interested, it is equipped with the older 9 speed tiagra before it was upgraded to 10 speeds.
Old 01-04-13, 04:38 PM
TiHabanero

Liked 1,394 Times in 733 Posts
Initially you listed 105 for parts. Stick with that level of equipment as it will go the distance, whereas Tiagra will not. The Cdale and Giant frames are excellent. Pick the one that fits, then decide if it has the right mix of parts. Always choose fit over parts, always, always, always.
Old 01-04-13, 05:08 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Initially you listed 105 for parts. Stick with that level of equipment as it will go the distance, whereas Tiagra will not. The Cdale and Giant frames are excellent. Pick the one that fits, then decide if it has the right mix of parts. Always choose fit over parts, always, always, always.
Great advice! I already am riding bikes with watered-down Shimano parts. They have done the job over the years. But why have "almost as good as 105" when I should just get Shimano 105 and be done with it?

What is SRAM's equal to the 105 components?
Old 01-04-13, 06:15 PM
TiHabanero

Liked 1,394 Times in 733 Posts
Good question. SRAM Apex certainly is not equal in quality or durability to the 105. I would venture Rival at the least and more likely Force, although it would seem to be a bridge between 105 and Ultegra. Shimano has been doing brifters for so long they have them squared away for durability as long as you stick to 105 or better. SRAM has yet to be proven. I do have SRAM on my mountain bike and it is perfect in every way thus far.
Old 01-06-13, 04:03 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels

I have the 2011 version of this one.
It is so responsive and nimble you can't believe it.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...ODUCT.ID=32386
I have the 2011 version of this as well, and 10 Wheels is correct. It is also incredibly stable at any speed. I like the 2012 black ones better.
Old 01-06-13, 06:02 PM
Cyril 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm partial to the Soma Smoothie.
Old 01-30-13, 01:48 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Since the smaller frame sizes are so hard to come by, I just may have to mail order.

I have narrowed it down to a few aluminum/steel framed bikes with carbon forks. Most are from BD. I have about a month before I can order anything so I have some time yet.

Thanks again for all the helpful replies!
Old 01-30-13, 03:31 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
https://www.fahrradmanufaktur.de/bike...o-105-20-gang/

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture 1.jpg (75.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: png
Picture 2.png (95.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: png