Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

BF Blogging my Hip Replacement

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

BF Blogging my Hip Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-13, 09:45 PM
deep_sky

Bikes: 2012 Scott CR1 Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you not undergo chelation therapy to remove the metal from your bloodstream?
Old 01-16-13, 01:50 AM
Mr. Markets
Who has a good sense of humor for going along with my little April Fool Gag (The Admin)

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really have no idea.

The biggest issue that some face is the shedding ions destroy tissue immediately in the socket area, and these ions are not necessarily portable thru the body I would think.
Old 01-21-13, 07:39 AM
HogFan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen this topic popping up later in various mediums. I've been skeptical, because almost every time after reading further the source is tracked to a lawyer or law firm looking for tort action.

My hip is a large cobalt hip by Wright. As far as I know Wright has not been mentioned in the recalls but I could be wrong. I will discuss it with my doctor, though, because I think it could be a legitimate concern given my activity level.

I completed an Ironman (Louisville) a few months ago in just over 12 hours. Will be doing my fourth half-Ironman in April. I've been extremely pleased with the success of my replacement.
Old 02-15-13, 02:44 AM
Mr. Markets
Who has a good sense of humor for going along with my little April Fool Gag (The Admin)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry for the late response here.

Yes, you see this mentioned a lot by lawyers, and I too have the Wright big-ball metal hips. Keep in mind they ALL wear. What comes into question is the amount of wear and 'shedding' they do into your body. Oftentimes this wear is precipitated by the fact that the mating surfaces of the ball and socket are not perfectly machined.

Below is an appropriate video explaining some of the process. This is, unfortunately, EXACTLY the issue I face with one of my hips. The cop is not in there at the 45 degree angle recommended. I know it from seeing the x-rays post surgery, and I believe I am experincing mild irritation in the area as a result.

My course of action at present is to 'watch it', but I get the feeling I will end up ripping it out and getting another one put in right. Sigh.

Don't watch this one if you get squeamish about having one of these in you.

Old 03-06-13, 07:55 PM
Mr. Markets

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, as I had been anticipating for some time and has now become reality, one of my new(er) hips is failing.

When the hip cup went in, it was supposed to be in between 30-50 degrees, with 45 being the most optimal. My right hip went in at... 21 degrees.

At the time my (now retired) ortho of like 16 years told me I should be okay at tha angle, but I was skeptical. Unfortunately I was right.

Today I met with his partner/associate and we discussed options. In the end, despite my reservations about the metal shedding, I am choosing to try and put in another big ball metal hip. Why would I do this? the answer is longevity. I am willing to modify my exercise in such a way as to keep the wear down on my hips. In return they should last the rest of my life (up to 40 years if I am lucky, though I doubt that lucky). Were I to choose the next option, it would be a poly cup between a smaller ball and large socket. This would wear out in about 15 years and have to have the poly cup replaced. If I made it 30 years I would get at least two more replacements, on just the one hip. Ugh. In the end, since I already have another metal on metal hip that is working well, I will go to that yet again.

Back to update this thread again in May sometime... sigh.
Old 03-06-13, 09:17 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Wow. Sorry to hear of your ordeal.
I am 3 weeks post op on a hip re-surfacing..(not a replacement) Been on the exercise bike a bit and everything seems well.
Probably be riding in a week or so..just a tiny bit.. Ditching the crutches tomorrow.
I have chromium in there pretty sure about that...
Old 03-06-13, 11:46 PM
Mr. Markets

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kraftwerk
Wow. Sorry to hear of your ordeal.
I am 3 weeks post op on a hip re-surfacing..(not a replacement) Been on the exercise bike a bit and everything seems well.
Probably be riding in a week or so..just a tiny bit.. Ditching the crutches tomorrow.
I have chromium in there pretty sure about that...
yup, resurfacing is still chromium/cobalt/stainless mix...

not much i can do, so I just do it.

you sound like you had an anterior entry which is supposed to be much easier on your body. Glad to hear you are coming together so quickly.
Old 03-11-13, 08:57 AM
HogFan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear but good luck with it.
Old 06-23-13, 07:38 PM
Mr. Markets

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eight weeks later it is all great. In fact, it was all pretty much great after 4 days. I was in the hospital three days, off crutches 2-3 days after I got home, and off a cane (except at night when walking in the dark for safety) about 3 days later. Compared to the first surgeries this has been a breeze. yes, I still cannot squat down, and yes I still get stiff in the joint after sitting too long, but realistically, it is more an annoyance than anything else. No limp, nothing.
Old 06-23-13, 08:00 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Liked 343 Times in 211 Posts
are you back on the bike?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-16-13, 02:15 AM
Mr. Markets

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
are you back on the bike?
missed this one and it's a very late response, but at about 8 weeks past surgery my doc said I could get on the rower, which also meant the bike.

i ride a recumbent and now also a Madsen 'bucket bike' for kicks and short rides to the store.

At this point I still cannot do squats (muscles not fully healed up from the ordeal), but everything else is a-ok!