Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo Crown Race Replacement?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Campagnolo Crown Race Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-13, 08:30 AM
spacemanz

Bikes: Frejus/Bertin/Cannondale

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Yes, but its better than nothing. Index steering.
Ha, that's what I have on mine, I guess. I have an early NR, with the C in a diamond, and I've cleaned & regreased it, but it still has that "indexing". I'm aware that a lot of it can be adjusted out, with the top cap, but there's a certain amount of slop that's good, and a certain amount that's unacceptable. I suspect overtightening was what caused it, in the first place. (?)
Old 01-16-13, 08:36 AM
miamijim

Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by spacemanz
Ha, that's what I have on mine, I guess. I have an early NR, with the C in a diamond, and I've cleaned & regreased it, but it still has that "indexing". I'm aware that a lot of it can be adjusted out, with the top cap, but there's a certain amount of slop that's good, and a certain amount that's unacceptable. I suspect overtightening was what caused it, in the first place. (?)
I dont think any slop/play is good. there's a very fine line when adjusting headsets, some people are very good at adjusting them and others aren't. IMHO over tightening doesnt cause it.
Old 01-16-13, 09:08 AM
spacemanz

Bikes: Frejus/Bertin/Cannondale

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I guess I didn't say exactly what I meant. I know slop is bad, in a new headset, that's in good condition. I was talking about adjusting, with a slightly worn crown race. In that case, I tried to get just the tiniest bit of slop, on purpose, to minimize that indexing effect. Not much at all, you don't want it bouncing around, LOL, but just a tiny bit is good, in this case. IMHO.
Old 01-16-13, 11:33 AM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by spacemanz
You could replace the caged balls with loose, or vice versa, which respaces them. Honestly, I don't think the indexing is a safety issue.
Old 01-17-13, 03:32 PM
irvri

Bikes: 3Rensho Super Record Export, Zunow Z-1, Andy Gilmour Breakaway, Sycip 26er

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OP,

If you're still looking:
I've got an extra crown race froma C-record headset. It is slightly smaller in diameter and I'm not sure if it fits perfectly but I ran it with a Super Record headset for a few months, lemme know!
Old 01-17-13, 03:45 PM
rootboy 

Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
Well, even a tiny bit of slop is not good, Spacemanz, but we see what you're trying to accomplish here. I would try what Dbakl is suggesting. Or, you could try removing the crown race, rotating it 180 degrees and re-installing it. Usually the fretting divots are concentrated on one side more than the other and you might be able to get it to feel better by rotating the race.