Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

So...talk to me about helmets

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

So...talk to me about helmets

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-13, 04:49 PM
mprelaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rydabent
Go to the helmet thread under Safety. You will find out far more than you want to know about helmets. Both pro and con.
The most important thing that he'll learn is to stay the hell out of that loony bin.
Old 01-22-13, 04:58 PM
Steve Sawyer

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Seceur Elite, Soma ES custom build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Sarge
For those of us who are follicularly challenged, does a persons head burn in patterns from the vents in the helmets. I was thinking I might need a do-rag in the Texas sun this summer.
Most certainly!! I get these hilarious brown stripes on my head in the summer!
Old 01-22-13, 04:59 PM
Steve Sawyer

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Seceur Elite, Soma ES custom build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mprelaw
The most important thing that he'll learn is to stay the hell out of that loony bin.
Yah - I was there earlier looking for info on helmets before posting this question!!
Old 01-22-13, 05:03 PM
TomD77

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's about ventilation for me. For whatever reason, up to some price point, there seems to be a direct relationship between price and % of the helmet surface area that is open to air flow. It gets HOT here in Florida.

All bicycle helmets are ridiculously non protective compared to motorcycle helmets and offer no protection to brain stem injuries that are so prevalent.
Old 01-22-13, 05:07 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I read in a Bell Helmet report that the safest helmets are rounded on the back side. Most Bell helmets do have 1-3 points on the back for that aerodynamic effect. But in a sliding accident, the arrowheads can catch on things and twist your neck. Rounded on the back is safest.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 01-22-13, 05:09 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not sure about the cheap helmets, but I use the top of the line Bells (Volt, Sweep, Ghizallo). All of them let you slip your Oakleys, when you're not wearing them, into the vents along the front sides, so that they will not fall out, even over hard bumps. Sort of a sunglass holder for Oakleys. You put them in upside-down so that the lenses don't get in the way (unless you actually want them as sort of a shield, like in the rain). Really beats trying to hold them any other way, like in your pockets, or hanging from the zipper of your jersey.

Must be a conspiracy between the two companies (three, if you include Gyro, that lets you do the same thing), but it works for me, and for all the pro's you see that hold their Oakleys on their helmets.

And if you're concerned about the cost of the top helmets, just wait until the end of the year, and buy the current year helmets when the mail order places blow them out. I've never paid more than $100 for any of my Bell Volts.

Luis
Old 01-22-13, 05:10 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Before this thread escalates to either A&S or P&R level: if you do any organized rides, such as cookie rides, charity rides, or club rides, proper helmets are mandatory. These rides, BTW, are usually a heck of a lot of fun.
We have a "Chocolate Chase" twice a year in Las Vegas. Its a 50 mile, all day ride. Probably 10 stops for everything from a Brownie (a little Barvarian Baker in Old Henderson, best brownie I have ever had) to cookies, donuts and milkshakes. I probably gained 2 pounds riding 50 miles.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 01-22-13, 05:21 PM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TomD77
It's about ventilation for me. For whatever reason, up to some price point, there seems to be a direct relationship between price and % of the helmet surface area that is open to air flow. It gets HOT here in Florida.

All bicycle helmets are ridiculously non protective compared to motorcycle helmets and offer no protection to brain stem injuries that are so prevalent.
+1 most helmets are non protective indeed. I switched to the cycle/skate/ski type or messenger type which offer way more comfort and protection.
Old 01-22-13, 05:34 PM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yep, in the TDC:Hampton Roads and the Cap2Cap ride I'll be doing Centuries in, the rule is "No helmet, No ride."

But, the more pricey helmets generally have better venting, aerodynamics, and even better padding.
Old 01-22-13, 06:30 PM
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We get the cheapest "approved" helmets at Walmart, and have been happy with them. Schwinn or Bell.

The temp here rarely gets above 60 degrees, so ventilation is not an issue.
Old 01-22-13, 06:35 PM
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by droy45
+1 most helmets are non protective indeed. I switched to the cycle/skate/ski type or messenger type which offer way more comfort and protection.
That's pretty interesting. So, you're talking about something like this:

Any feeling for how much safer these are?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
31WJUniOpgL._AA300_[1].jpg (9.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 01-22-13, 06:45 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
All the reasons have been mentioned. Weight, vents, fashion oh and desire. Face it the Specialized S-works Prevail isn't any stronger than the Propero but it is the S-works. There are blue jeans and there are Levi 501s. But people that want 501s are not interested in wranglers even if they do have a zipper. For me I have a $60.00 Giant helmet that I have had for years. It is about ready to be replaced. I had a Propero that was safely on my head as I was launched into the back window of a car almost a year ago. The helmet looked fine even after punching a bowling ball sized hole in said back window. However from everything I have read helmets are good for one crash that happens to save your head. When looking for a replacement I looked for something light and with lots of ventilation. I also wanted one that didn't have a heavy brim that would block my vision if I happened to be in the drops, not that I am all that comfortable being in the drops unless I am in a head wind. I tried a lot of helmets till I came across a LG X-light that was supposed to weigh 190 grams and had plenty of vents. I got the Medium rather than the large because I like the helmet to fit tight on my head even with my heavest headsweats. It was marked down as a closeout so I saved 50 bucks. I couldn't be happier unless it cost even less than I paid for it. https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...47&cagpspn=pla
Old 01-22-13, 07:19 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Sarge
This brings up a question I have been wanting to ask. It doesn't apply to you or your lovely wife but you might know anyway. (Mild thread hi-jack here) For those of us who are follicularly challenged, does a persons head burn in patterns from the vents in the helmets. I was thinking I might need a do-rag in the Texas sun this summer.
Sorry, can't answer, still got enough gair to know the answer, thank goodness.
Old 01-22-13, 07:35 PM
climberguy

Bikes: better than I deserve

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's not terribly complicated. Spending more for a helmet (up to a point) generally means better fit, comfort (including ventilation), impact resistance and overall construction quality, including quality of the materials used.
Old 01-22-13, 07:52 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Before this thread escalates to either A&S or P&R level: if you do any organized rides, such as cookie rides, charity rides, or club rides, proper helmets are mandatory. These rides, BTW, are usually a heck of a lot of fun.
We have a "Chocolate Chase" twice a year in Las Vegas. Its a 50 mile, all day ride. Probably 10 stops for everything from a Brownie (a little Barvarian Baker in Old Henderson, best brownie I have ever had) to cookies, donuts and milkshakes. I probably gained 2 pounds riding 50 miles.
Now that's what I'm talking about.

Old 01-22-13, 08:15 PM
Shamrock

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I have 2 helmets both are grey.one is for funerals the other is for weddings.I bought a park bike stand off of a cyclist.He had 3 concussions the doc told him after the 2nd bikes are toast for you. .He still rides but his helmet is 200 bucks. sorry don't know the manufacturer
Old 01-23-13, 06:07 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, I started riding with a $26 Bell from Dick's and moved into a Specialized Echelon ($50 or $60--don't recall), but I can tell a WORLD of difference in weight, comfort, fit, cooling, and even sweat management. With the old Bell sweat would drip into my eyes and I had to wear a Headsweats headband to manage it. I still sweat with the Echelon, but I don't wear a headband and sweat does NOT get into my eyes. I understand the Prospero II($100 or so) is better with the venting and less wind noise than the Echelon.

Oh btw, Consumer's Reports did an article about helmets and rated the Echelon tops in crash tests--even against some $200 helmets.
Old 01-23-13, 06:41 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
That's pretty interesting. So, you're talking about something like this:

Any feeling for how much safer these are?
According to https://www.helmets.org/, these have two advantages:

(1) they are smoother and less likely to get stuck on the pavement, adding additional torque to your neck, and

(2) they have more coverage at the back of your head.

You can get more vented version. If you prefer the helmet you have, wear that one instead.

Cheers,
Charles
Old 01-23-13, 06:52 AM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Sawyer
Not whether or not I should (I always do), but I'm really unclear what the difference is between the $200+ helmets and the $50 helmet I'm wearing now.
  • If it's weight - not an issue IMO.
  • If it's safety - well, I think it's worthwhile investing in safety
  • If it's fashion - c'mon, really??
  • If it's durability - I've never "worn out" a helmet, but have replaced a couple because they got kinda beat-up looking. But you can buy a lot of replacement helmets for $200

Is there something else that would account for a four-fold price difference that I'm missing?

Thanks.
All bicycle helmets have to meet the same minimum safety standards. After that you pay for comfort, styling (really!), aerodynamics, durability, ventilation and in some cases - special features like visors.
Old 01-23-13, 07:05 AM
Boudicca
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As others have said, it's all about the holes. The more you pay, the less helmet you get, and the bigger the ventilation holes. On any ride over about 5 miles, my head gets too hot in a helmet without adequate venting, although I do have a nice round helmet for about-town rides on the Bixi bikes.
Old 01-23-13, 09:28 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 68 Posts
The new thing from Catlike is the Mixino. I tried one on in Las Vegas. Much better (improved) than the Whisper Plus

https://www.catlike.es/en/products/he...o/r045-matt-4/
Old 01-23-13, 11:51 AM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
Oh btw, Consumer's Reports did an article about helmets and rated the Echelon tops in crash tests--even against some $200 helmets.
Yup, and they rated the skateboard-style Nutcase the worst.
Old 01-23-13, 01:06 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
We get the cheapest "approved" helmets at Walmart, and have been happy with them. Schwinn or Bell.

The temp here rarely gets above 60 degrees, so ventilation is not an issue.

Me too, the cheapest Schwinn at Walmart I've used for about 3 years, two crashes and still using. It didn't seem all that debilitating during the record string of 100+ days last summer, nor particularly heavy.
Old 01-23-13, 03:26 PM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Me too, the cheapest Schwinn at Walmart I've used for about 3 years, two crashes and still using. It didn't seem all that debilitating during the record string of 100+ days last summer, nor particularly heavy.
If your helmet was impacted in either of those crashes, it might be a bad idea to trust it for crash #3. Especially since you can replace it for $20.
Old 01-23-13, 03:31 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by cplager
According to https://www.helmets.org/, these have two advantages:

(1) they are smoother and less likely to get stuck on the pavement, adding additional torque to your neck, and

(2) they have more coverage at the back of your head.

You can get more vented version. If you prefer the helmet you have, wear that one instead.

Cheers,
Charles
This. It's better info than anecdotal comments that you get here. It's an easy way to keep up with technology. I recently purchased a POC Trabec MIPS, incorporating slip plane technology, and the surficial smoothness and additional rear of head coverage, described above. A couple of years ago I had two, fairly severe, low speed crashes and concussions - and two cracked helmets. Maybe they did their jobs, or maybe I could have benefitted from better technology. In the end, it's your head. Use it wisely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.