Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

NYC - Folding Bike Group

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

NYC - Folding Bike Group

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-13, 03:28 PM
bromptonyc

Bikes: Brompton Folding Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NYC - Folding Bike Group

Hey guys -

For all the folding bikers out there in NYC, I think it would be awesome to start a folding bike meet up and ride amongst other folding bike members.

I am thinking of a once or twice a month ride over a few laps in central park, then we can bring our bikes into a local bar or pub and chat and hang out a bit.

Please post if you'd be interested in this kind of regular folding bike group meet up.

The sight of 10 folding bikes riding together doing laps in central park!
Old 01-22-13, 02:21 PM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'd be interested, as my schedule allows.
Old 01-24-13, 10:32 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Liked 577 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by noteon
I'd be interested, as my schedule allows.
Same here.

The problem for me is that I work in NYC but don't live here. So weekends are pretty much out. But some weekday afternoon, I'm in.

Hey, here's a crazy idea: anyone want to do a folding bike century? I'd come to the city on a weekend to ride a century.
Old 01-24-13, 12:22 PM
aixaix 
car guy, recovering

Bikes: Olympia Competizione & Special Piuma, Frejus track circa 1958, Dahon Helios, many others

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Folding bike century, huh? I have a Dahon Helios, first generation, whose saddle was a product of the M. de Sade/M. Guillotine Design Cooperative. Its use for more than 15 miles has been banned by the Geneva Convention.

Seriously, I like the bike: it is crazy light, fast and fun to ride. The saddle and post are unusual and don't allow for mounting a Brooks (which would increase the weight of the bike 25%, btw). Doing 100 miles on it would cripple my posterior for a week.

Still, it is a cool idea. Great excuse for buying a Brompton...
Old 01-24-13, 12:24 PM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Sounds fun to me. I actually did a 200K on my Swift last April.
Old 01-25-13, 08:36 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Originally Posted by aixaix
Folding bike century, huh? I have a Dahon Helios, first generation, whose saddle was a product of the M. de Sade/M. Guillotine Design Cooperative. Its use for more than 15 miles has been banned by the Geneva Convention.

Seriously, I like the bike: it is crazy light, fast and fun to ride. The saddle and post are unusual and don't allow for mounting a Brooks (which would increase the weight of the bike 25%, btw). Doing 100 miles on it would cripple my posterior for a week.

Still, it is a cool idea. Great excuse for buying a Brompton...
Michael, send me a photo of that saddle, and how it mounts! Maybe we can figure out a way to put a decent leather saddle on there.

Sounds fun to me. I actually did a 200K on my Swift last April.
I'll do it! I'd suggest we meet at Penn Station and finish at some other station from where we can get a train back to Penn Station. This restricts our riding options to... uh... well, pretty much none at all. I know some good routes in South-Central NJ and Eastern Long Island, but would be happy to see other areas.

Last edited by rhm; 01-25-13 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-25-13, 07:04 PM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
I'll do it! I'd suggest we meet at Penn Station and finish at some other station from where we can get a train back to Penn Station. This restricts our riding options to... uh... well, pretty much none at all. I know some good routes in South-Central NJ and Eastern Long Island, but would be happy to see other areas.
Hmm. Long Island really starts getting pretty out by the Hamptons, and we'd be done before that.
Old 01-25-13, 08:14 PM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hmm. Long Island really starts getting pretty out by the Hamptons, and we'd be done before that.
Actually...Hudson Greenway -> Dyckman -> Broadway -> Van Cortlandt Park -> Rail trail to New Croton Reservoir is an 80-mile round trip. Tack another ten north after the reservoir, and there's a century.
Old 01-26-13, 07:24 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Actually...Hudson Greenway -> Dyckman -> Broadway -> Van Cortlandt Park -> Rail trail to New Croton Reservoir is an 80-mile round trip. Tack another ten north after the reservoir, and there's a century.
That might work.

For Long Island, I have an excellent loop that starts and ends at the Mastic-Shirley LIRR station. It adds up to about 108 miles but you get to see a few cute towns, expensive homes, the dunes on the barrier island, a short walk on the beach, some farmland, crazy rolling hills in the moraine, Sag Harbor, Shelter Island, vineyards, pinelands, and duck farms. In other words, all the island has to offer. I led a century of c&v bikes there last summer, and the summer before. Haven't done it on the folder, but eh, what's the difference?
Old 01-26-13, 09:51 AM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
That might work.

For Long Island, I have an excellent loop that starts and ends at the Mastic-Shirley LIRR station. It adds up to about 108 miles but you get to see a few cute towns, expensive homes, the dunes on the barrier island, a short walk on the beach, some farmland, crazy rolling hills in the moraine, Sag Harbor, Shelter Island, vineyards, pinelands, and duck farms. In other words, all the island has to offer. I led a century of c&v bikes there last summer, and the summer before. Haven't done it on the folder, but eh, what's the difference?
Works for me.

Spring?

Last edited by noteon; 01-26-13 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Added "Spring?"
Old 01-26-13, 03:17 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

We don't need much notice. At least, I don't. Keep an eye out for a warm weekend.
Old 03-15-13, 03:50 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Liked 45 Times in 34 Posts
I did this ride with the 5 Boro Bike club last year, it was a lot of fun. The club started at Van Cortland park, then
went to the Croton Reservoir. After that the group went to the train station to go back to NYC. I started in New Jersey,
met the club at the starting point then rode back from the train station. Around 100 miles or so. Would like to do it
again this year, if you guys don't mind a slow middle aged guy bogging the group down
Old 03-18-13, 09:24 AM
Cyclerock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bromptonyc
Hey guys -

For all the folding bikers out there in NYC, I think it would be awesome to start a folding bike meet up and ride amongst other folding bike members.

I am thinking of a once or twice a month ride over a few laps in central park, then we can bring our bikes into a local bar or pub and chat and hang out a bit.

Please post if you'd be interested in this kind of regular folding bike group meet up.

The sight of 10 folding bikes riding together doing laps in central park!
A NYC based environmental group, Times Up!, has an annual folding bike festival and ride. T.U. puts on a ton of fun rides!
https://times-up.org/index.php?page=folds-up-ride