Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Anyone had thier lights stolen?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Anyone had thier lights stolen?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-13, 03:06 PM
TWOWheel2
Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, 2005 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sggoodri
If you prefer to leave them on, consider replacing the hex hardware with Torx head screws or another even more esoteric head design, making them harder to steal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx
+1 You could also look at using a Torx-pin or other tamper resistant fastener.

https://www.tamperproof.com/categorie...-pin-head.html
Old 01-23-13, 08:17 PM
PDX Reborn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't had anything stolen. However, the other day I noticed a homeless couple checking out my bike with all my stuff still on it. I just take it all with me from now on, why risk it?
Old 01-24-13, 06:48 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PDX Reborn
... I noticed a homeless couple checking out my bike with all my stuff still on it. I just take it all with me from now on, why risk it?
Isn't that what they do too?
Old 01-24-13, 10:11 AM
ChloeP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carbondale
Yikes! I just looked up that light and it retails for $550. And held on with a rubber strap like a watch band. And you leave it on the bike? Generally safes area don't always contain 100% safe people. Disconnect and carry.
I agree. Anything that's worth over 30 is worth taking off and carrying around with you.
Old 01-24-13, 12:28 PM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Only lights I had stolen were my Knogs. I was fairly mad about it when it happened because they also stole my my cyclocomputer, although it was only $10. I bought the same front Knog light and zip-tied it to my handle bars and got a different style of tail light which I bolted down to the seat post. Lights never been stolen again.

Now I use a Blackburn Flea for a front light which I leave on. It is so small and inconspicuous that you have to really look to see it.
Old 01-24-13, 12:34 PM
GrouchoWretch
Slob

Bikes: 1970s AMF Roadmaster 3 speed, Bianchi Volpe, 2012 GT Zum City

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take my crappo lights off and with me. I'm only out $20 if someone takes both, but the trip home in the dark without them wouldn't be fun.
Old 01-24-13, 01:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
If things are easily removed, they might be by someone..
Found : college campuses are theft centers too.

Stayed in CPH public Loo just long enough to take a leak, and came out
to find someone starting to strip the cantilever brake off the bike locked to the steel fencing.
Old 01-24-13, 01:11 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Liked 348 Times in 176 Posts
I'm sure this depends somewhat on where you are, but I tend to think anything I leave on the bike can and will be stolen. I had a pump stolen from a bike and my wife did have a light removed (PB flash and a front blaze).
Old 01-24-13, 01:38 PM
TampaRaleigh

Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Competition (Restored to Original), 1986 Cannonade SR400 (Updated to Dura Ace 7800)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have accidentally left lights on my bike... none stolen yet. But I try to make sure that everything is removed before it's out of my sight.

(I must admit, when I first saw the thread title, I thought it said: "Has anyone had their TIGHTS stolen?". I thought to myself: "Jees, in what kind of neighborhood does he live???)
Old 01-24-13, 02:30 PM
Ns1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah i take all my lights with me.

actually, I take anything that I can't lock down with me.
Old 01-24-13, 02:53 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,579 Times in 1,586 Posts
BRRAA-A-I-I-I-NNSS!!

Yeah, I just pop off whatever releases quickly and take it inside with me.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-24-13, 03:00 PM
GrouchoWretch
Slob

Bikes: 1970s AMF Roadmaster 3 speed, Bianchi Volpe, 2012 GT Zum City

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRaleigh
(I must admit, when I first saw the thread title, I thought it said: "Has anyone had their TIGHTS stolen?". I thought to myself: "Jees, in what kind of neighborhood does he live???)
The college hotties are always knocking me off my bike and peeling my tights off me.

AND I AM HELPLESS TO PREVENT THIS ATROCITY
Old 01-24-13, 08:34 PM
AngeloDolce

Bikes: Many English 3 Speeds

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Yes, I had he original Vista headlight stolen about 20 years ago in what I had thought was a decent area. The light wasn't expensive, but I think some kids figured anything they could remove was fair game. The light wasn't expensive, but riding home in the dark wasn't fun.

For a $500 light with an easy release, I'd remove it or otherwise conceal it.
Old 01-24-13, 08:36 PM
AngeloDolce

Bikes: Many English 3 Speeds

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
How/why was this thread resurrected?
Old 01-24-13, 09:20 PM
tigonridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AngeloDolce
Yes, I had he original Vista headlight stolen about 20 years ago in what I had thought was a decent area. The light wasn't expensive, but I think some kids figured anything they could remove was fair game. The light wasn't expensive, but riding home in the dark wasn't fun.

For a $500 light with an easy release, I'd remove it or otherwise conceal it.
I sometimes think some depraved monkeys (sorry if I insulted monkeys) do sh** like this just as a hobby.

I resurrected the thread, because I wanted to vent after my mistake of leaving a headlight on the bike unattended. It scared me, mostly because now I know my front wheel is also fair game on campus (my wheels are very valuable to me for reasons stated in an earlier post). Because of this, I recently have been locking my front wheel to the frame; a nuisance that I'll have to endure, thanks to the low-life scavengers out there.
Old 01-25-13, 05:28 AM
newkie
dazed and confused

Bikes: 2011 Cube Hyde Team Alfine 8 IGH, 2007 Giant Rock hardtail mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I leave mine on most of the time. I have cheap but very effective Night Rider lights. The one on the carrier can't be readily removed but a sharp twist would break the plastic clip and can be taken. The front one I do pop in my pocket if I'm going in to a shop. But I leave it on at work and home. I almost think of it as bait. If I come out of work and they're missing I'll be a lot more paranoid. In the meantime, I'll save my 5 seconds and leave it (hey, that adds up to an extra hour a year! oh, I just wasted an hour on bikeforums. easy come, easy go).
Old 01-25-13, 05:33 PM
PDX Reborn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tigonridge
I sometimes think some depraved monkeys (sorry if I insulted monkeys) do sh** like this just as a hobby.

I resurrected the thread, because I wanted to vent after my mistake of leaving a headlight on the bike unattended. It scared me, mostly because now I know my front wheel is also fair game on campus (my wheels are very valuable to me for reasons stated in an earlier post). Because of this, I recently have been locking my front wheel to the frame; a nuisance that I'll have to endure, thanks to the low-life scavengers out there.
Pitlock has a locking head kit for most bikes.

https://www.urbanbiketech.com/
Old 01-25-13, 06:33 PM
tigonridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PDX Reborn
Pitlock has a locking head kit for most bikes.

https://www.urbanbiketech.com/
Thanks, but I found a better solution: https://www.amazon.com/OnGuard-Akita-...rds=akita+8045

If I just buy 2 of these, I will be able to lock everything to my 5" U-lock, which will lock the frame to a pole at a location on campus. I will just leave the locks and chains there, so I won't have to carry them around all the time.
Old 01-25-13, 06:56 PM
mharter

Bikes: Torker Graduate (3 speed), 2020 Surly Disc Trucker, '72 Raleigh Sports, '62 Rudge Sport, '58 Raliegh Superbe

Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
My red blinky got stolen last summer. Luckily there was a guy nearby selling one for only five bucks.
Old 01-25-13, 07:45 PM
tigonridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mharter
My red blinky got stolen last summer. Luckily there was a guy nearby selling one for only five bucks.
LOL Wat? You mean guy is a legit seller from a shop, or...

I ask because you have bought that $5 light from the same guy who stole your original blinky.

Last edited by tigonridge; 01-25-13 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-25-13, 09:58 PM
vol

Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Has anyone had their wheel light/spoke light/valve light stolen? I've heard a lot of worries but not a real case yet.
Old 01-26-13, 03:40 AM
whk1992

Bikes: 89' Trek 400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my miniature cateye rear lamp looks like a simple reflector. No one will steal a reflector, i suppose?
Old 01-26-13, 07:12 AM
vegipowrd
Lifer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've lost bottles, seats and others. Just lost a light last night when I forgot to remove it when I went to dinner. Really liked that light too.
Old 01-26-13, 07:27 AM
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Strangely, I have had both a Cateye and Blackburn AA battery headlight stolen a few years ago, but my Night Rider and MagicShine headlights have never been messed with. But I only park my bike in really conspicuous places that are in full view.

I also had a spare tube stolen out of the underseat bag on my road bike recently, but they left the CO2 and patch kit, and they left the bag open to alert me of their thievery. I never quite figured that one out, but I guess someone really needed a tube and at least tried to be considerate about it.
Old 01-26-13, 03:20 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
In the mid-90s could not leave your light on a bike in the U-District in Seattle. Now my wife and I both get indoor parking for commuting.

My kids routinely got their lights stolen off the bike rack at their elementary school. Blinkies are replaceable but I got them decent flashlights that are now mounted on their helmets for front lighting. My older is at a middle school now and his blinky has not yet been taken, nor the front white blinky. But for seeing, not being seen, he still uses the flashlight on his helmet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.