Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Aesthetics... How anal are you?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-13, 04:36 PM
gundom66

Bikes: Trek 4300 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I'm pretty anal on some things. When I bought my road bike, I was asking questions about what would be best with it or not, and got tagged as a typical roadie ocd. Don't mind... don't care. Anyway, a buddy of mine finally had a chance to see my bike last night. First thing he said is that it's too black and I should flare it up a bit. Then he got down to the color of my helmet and shoes. That since I have a black on black bike, that I should be all black as well. Or at least not white nor red nor blue but flouro-green or yellow for visibility. Then he said since I have a white helmet and shoes with some hint of red, that I should change the saddle and handlebar tape to white with white wall tires and red anodized brakes. Here I am looking at him if he was joking or not, and really... he is pretty serious... Somebody woke up with a stick up his ass.

Then he picked up my bike and said it's too heavy. I believe with pedals and cages, it's either high 16 or low 17... I'm happy with it, but here he is telling me to spend more cash to switch out the wheels, to change the drive train to Red, blah blah blah blah blah.

I'm about to unfriend this so-called buddy just because he irritates me. Do any of you guys get this anal about bikes whether it's yours or not? Just wondering...
Old 02-07-13, 04:40 PM
antmeeks
Maud Magnet

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Allez Comp, 2001 Kona Stuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well...

My bike is black, white & orange.

I just bought a set of Fulcrum Racing 3's and the decals are black, white & red.

It bothers me.
Old 02-07-13, 05:10 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You don't have to unfriend him...assuming he shapes up when you tell him to eff off.

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 02-07-13, 05:12 PM
Lew.

Bikes: Tarmac/LangsterPro/Epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't really care, however it happened by coincidence that my Tarmac is red, my Spesh jersey is red/white and Scott helmet is also red. Somehow, even my track bike (Fondriest) is red... But that's because A) I like Spesh bikes and it was in red in the LBS B) The Spesh jersey got handed down to me C) Scott lid was on sale and track bike was cheap on eBay.
I can't comprehend guys who spend so much money with the purpose of colour co-ordinating their equip. and bikes, it's a bike to be ridden, not admire (no matter how gorgeous they are). I sometimes catch myself staring in wander at guys in the LBS who talk about their fashion on the bike... IMO Functionality > Looks.
Sorry, longish post.
Old 02-07-13, 05:44 PM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I care not what my bikes look like or if my clothes match them. I have one bike that I built for functionality and looks, the others have one function - to get me to work or carry me and my stuff. They can be as ugly and mismatched as they like as long as they feel good.
Old 02-07-13, 05:49 PM
jesspal

Bikes: 2009 BMC SLX01/2016 Santa Cruz Bronson

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Sounds like a d bag friend, we all have one.
Old 02-07-13, 05:55 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a friend that critized my bike because it doesn't have paint on it. My bike's finish is raw carbon fiber. I like it because it is harder to scratch. Anyway, I told him he doesn't have to ride it and he hasn't bothered me about it since.
Old 02-07-13, 06:08 PM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you can ride him off your wheel, do it. He'll quickly realize that he should work on the engine instead of worrying about fashion.
Old 02-07-13, 06:17 PM
kukusz
A Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like making my bike look nice, but I do awful things like mix group sets (Egads SRAM RED and SRAM Force!) so I get pestered by my teammates that will spend extra $$$ to make the bike match. My bike looks nice but it's a Frankenbike (Felt bars, CAAD10 frame, Thomson post, 3T stem, S-works Cranks, SRAM rings, Ultegra Chain/Cassette, Dura-Ace wheels, Force/RED mix brakes/FD/RD). My other carbon bike is similar in terms of parts mix.
Old 02-07-13, 06:32 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Enough that I want to strip the paint off my bike so I can wear any jersey with it without clashing.
Old 02-07-13, 06:42 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Geesh, if my socks match it's a good day. I can't say I don't care at all about aesthetics, but they are way down the list from safety, function, and comfort. I certainly won't sacrifice anything from the aforementioned three for the sake of style or bling. All my bikes are somewhat Frankenized and came out when most of the roadies I ride with were still on tricycles. I've got a face that was made for radio and a body that should be donated to science fiction, so I really don't give a rat's patoot if my shoes match my handlebar tape.

Everybody has someone, family, friend, fellow club member, or that irritating guy that hangs around the bike shop for no reason, who will constantly pick apart anything you have or do to explain how they would do it better. Grow a set, tell your "buddy" that his butt cheeks make his kit look funny from behind (it'll drive him nuts for weeks trying to look at his arse in the mirror), take a look at your bike and decide if you like it. Why would you waste a moment trying to make someone else happy with your bike?

While there are truly good and bad aesthetics, there is a lot of room for individuality and personal preference, so do what you like and forget what everyone else thinks.
Old 02-07-13, 08:38 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Did you both compare your Velomanati membership cards afterward to see who had joined first?

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 02-07-13, 08:50 PM
Elevation

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
he sounds jealous
Old 02-07-13, 09:18 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 412 Posts
Some guys have no enemies, but they intensely dislike their friends.
Old 02-07-13, 09:25 PM
jtwilson

Bikes: CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about matching your bike to your kit, but I think there's a reasonable extent to which you might be concerned - for instance I wouldn't want to wear a blue helmet or shoes with lots on blue on a bike with no blue - unless the shoes matched the helmet and there wasn't really any red on the bike. With a black-on-black bike I think you can really do whatever you want with shoes and helmet.

The dead giveaway is that your friend just picked up your bike and said it was too heavy. That right there is a D-bag move. If he knew anything at all he would know roughly the weight just looking at the components, and know that judging by the 'lift test' is for people who haven't got a clue. 16-17lbs is the same as 14-15lbs minus one water bottle.

Do what you do and don't sweat it.
Old 02-07-13, 09:32 PM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes this site makes me shake my head.
Old 02-07-13, 09:43 PM
RoadMike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm VERY anal about my own bike, but it's more of a pride of ownership kind of thing. I have a nail polish kit with every color my bike is painted in it. I prefer my kit to match my bike if possible, but I won't spend too much to make it happen. Most of my OCD is directed at cleanliness, maintenance and color matching on the bike itself. I detail my bike after every ride.

other people's bikes though, I could care less.
Old 02-07-13, 10:08 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 359 Posts
About as OCD as I'll go is keeping the bike reasonably clean--brownies on the chain or derailleur pulleys get my goat. I also disapprove of tires so worn that the threads are showing and gaps or tears in the bar tape or saddle.

As for colors and patterns, I say that cute or cunning bar tape is a perfectly reasonable icebreaker on group rides.
Old 02-07-13, 10:11 PM
DonDenver
downhill quickly

Bikes: SWorks Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
Sometimes this site makes me shake my head.
Bingo!
Old 02-07-13, 10:11 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by gundom66
So I'm pretty anal on some things. When I bought my road bike, I was asking questions about what would be best with it or not, and got tagged as a typical roadie ocd. Don't mind... don't care. Anyway, a buddy of mine finally had a chance to see my bike last night. First thing he said is that it's too black and I should flare it up a bit. Then he got down to the color of my helmet and shoes. That since I have a black on black bike, that I should be all black as well. Or at least not white nor red nor blue but flouro-green or yellow for visibility. Then he said since I have a white helmet and shoes with some hint of red, that I should change the saddle and handlebar tape to white with white wall tires and red anodized brakes. Here I am looking at him if he was joking or not, and really... he is pretty serious... Somebody woke up with a stick up his ass.

Then he picked up my bike and said it's too heavy. I believe with pedals and cages, it's either high 16 or low 17... I'm happy with it, but here he is telling me to spend more cash to switch out the wheels, to change the drive train to Red, blah blah blah blah blah.

I'm about to unfriend this so-called buddy just because he irritates me. Do any of you guys get this anal about bikes whether it's yours or not? Just wondering...
IOW, you and your friend are having a spat about how to match your accessories to your outfits, and so you came here to ask for relationship advice.

Not that there's anything wrong with that!
Old 02-07-13, 10:58 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
IOW, you and your friend are having a spat about how to match your accessories to your outfits, and so you came here to ask for relationship advice.

Not that there's anything wrong with that!
Hey, I do that. Not about guys, though.
Old 02-08-13, 02:47 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts

You realise he's just teasing you ... pushing your buttons ... pulling your leg. Grab a sense of humour and laugh about it.
Old 02-08-13, 04:22 AM
catonec 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
there is a thing as trying too hard. No reason for your bike and bike bits to match. of course you dont want it to look like crap but, don take it too far.

16-17 lbs is a very respectable weight for bikes.

I wanted a yellow fork to match but I have lived with the orange for 15 years. My head hasnt exploded yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SAM_3367.jpg (94.6 KB, 63 views)
Old 02-08-13, 05:24 AM
RoadMike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The fact that he said all of that without mentioning the fact that you still haven't gone clipless tells me this friend of your is a wanker that needs to put some more miles in. As was mentioned earlier, the fact that he had to pick your bike up to know around how much it weighed was a pretty dead give away as well. The opinions of those you can drop do not matter.
Old 02-08-13, 05:48 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Your friend is right.
A white helmet on a black bike? Seriously?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.