Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

dilemma: sell or not?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-13, 07:58 AM
Diddii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

little background: i began cycling last summer and bought a Specialized Crux elite, before that i had only ridden mountain bikes in my life and didnt want to go that road again... Anyway i still wanted to have the option of riding offroads although i had plans to ride it mostly on roads. Turned out i barely went off road all summer and enjoy long road ridings.

Dilemma: i don't know if i should sell the crux and get specialized roubaix (which i can get for the same price after selling the crux, so i dont really have to pay anything...) or just put smaller tires designed more for road cycling on my cyclocross bike.

Goals for this summer will be to ride 125km (from my home to my summerhouse outside the city), and i will mostly be training for that.

So:
a) switch the crux for a roubaix
or
b) just put new "road specific" tires on the crux
Old 02-13-13, 08:08 AM
Sidney Porter

Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
If you like the way the cross bike rides I would just switch the tires. Or get a 2nd wheel set to switch back and forth.
Old 02-13-13, 08:23 AM
Diddii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
can't afford 2nd set of wheels. smaller tires are in my budget (im a student @ a university). Maybe i'm just excided of getting another bike, but i can sell the crux for the same price as i would buy the roubaix :/ hmmmm
Old 02-13-13, 09:44 AM
IcySmooth52

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would get the Roubiax. It's not an aero frame, but on centuries like those it makes a big difference. The Roubiax will be far more aerodynamic AND smoother on the road with smaller, faster tires.
Old 02-13-13, 10:20 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Get the Roubaix...I have one...which will fit a 28c tire and you can ride down pot hole strune dirt roads if you get the itch.
You can blast very rough roads on a Roubaix with 23c's...I have. The Roubaix will be lighter and faster on the road.

The Crux is a nice bike...and the debate of best bike for given road conditions is often waged. Some like cross bikes. Others believe they are caught a bit in no man's land. For me for rougher road riding..or even smooth dirt...I prefer a light carbon or Ti rigid 29er with flat bar. Then if I want to go off road...I can mount Nanoraptor or Big Apples and drop pressure and smooth out the ride...what I am doing on my 29er till late spring.
A drop bar off road for me crushes my business if you know what I mean...and not nearly the control of a flat bar.
On the road...I vastly prefer a drop bar where I can tolerate a more rotated forward pelvis position in the drops.
Old 02-13-13, 12:23 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you're happy with the fit and handling of the Crux, stick with that.

I'd go for some fast rolling slick tires and spend some real money on em'. Challenge Eroicas would be at the top of my list.
Old 02-13-13, 12:24 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Dude, Keep the bike get smaller tires and ride the crap out of it.....it allows you more options in the future and when you do get cash you can get the roadie and have one of each.....
Old 02-13-13, 12:59 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Liked 4,301 Times in 1,584 Posts
Originally Posted by Diddii
Maybe i'm just excided of getting another bike, but i can sell the crux for the same price as i would buy the roubaix :/ hmmmm
Something about this doesn't seem right. What are the components on the Roubaix you'd be getting and how do they compare to what's on your Crux? A new Roubaix with 105 components retails for $650 more than a new Crux with 105. I'm assuming you've got your eye on a used Roubaix. Do you have a buyer for the Crux, or are you just guessing how much you could get based on craigslist asking prices?

Even if you really can sell the Crux for what you'd be paying for the Roubaix, you don't know as much about the conditions of the components as you do with your Crux. I'd say it's a gamble.
Old 02-13-13, 04:44 PM
Diddii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the help, i kept researching. I'm keeping my crux and going for thinner/smaller tires, would i be able to fit 700x23c on my crux without it being awkward or "funky" to ride?
Old 02-13-13, 04:59 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
thanks for the help, i kept researching. I'm keeping my crux and going for thinner/smaller tires, would i be able to fit 700x23c on my crux without it being awkward or "funky" to ride?
Rule of thumb is never run tire width more narrow than the outside width of the rim. This is because the bead won't hook adequately which can be a problem if running over 100 psi common to 23c tires. You should be able to find the wheel specs for your crux on line. Look for the outer and not inner dimension. They likely will be about 24-25mm wide. My suggestion for a fast road tire on cross rim when riding mostly on pavement is 25c which comports with the slightly wider rim of a cross bike compared to a road bike.
HTH.
Old 02-13-13, 04:59 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Liked 4,301 Times in 1,584 Posts
would i be able to fit 700x23c on my crux without it being awkward or "funky" to ride?
Yes, but 25's or 28's would ride better (not just because it's a CX bike, but because wider tires are nice).
Old 02-13-13, 05:52 PM
escarpment

Bikes: cannondale crit 3.0, specialized allez, old giant mtb/hybrid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get slick 25's. 28's are a bit big for fast road riding, 23's are good for racing but you feel everything you ride over. Dont worry about an aero frame, the bike frame is about 5% of riding aerodynamics. The crux geometry is a bit relaxed but its not too much different than the robux.
Old 02-13-13, 07:59 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Not a fan of having a bunch of bikes but having a back up is always nice in the event of primary failure.
Old 02-13-13, 08:04 PM
lineinthewater

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Not a fan of having a bunch of bikes but having a back up is always nice in the event of primary failure.
+1. It's nice being able to work on one bike, take your time, and not have to worry about not having a ride when the weather turns nice.
Old 02-13-13, 09:19 PM
MetalPedaler
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's nothing like a nice, light, real road bike.....or even a tourer for that kind of distance. Things which are designed to do several things, usually don't do anything particularly well.
Old 02-13-13, 09:56 PM
Big Lebowski

Bikes: Trek 9th District, CAAD 10, Crux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DayGloDago
There's nothing like a nice, light, real road bike.....or even a tourer for that kind of distance. Things which are designed to do several things, usually don't do anything particularly well.
This is what I am telling myself, so I justify getting a true road bike to complement my steel commuter. The commuter has its job, but I want a true road bike.
Old 02-13-13, 10:12 PM
MetalPedaler
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
This is what I am telling myself, so I justify getting a true road bike to complement my steel commuter. The commuter has its job, but I want a true road bike.
I didn't ever ride a real road bike till I was in my mid 20's....but just that one ride opened my eyes- and the memory of it is what got me into cycling now, at 50.

I know what you mean- I think I'm going to end up being one of those people with several bikes....'cause I keep envisioning having a different bike for different circumstances. I currently have an aluminum; and just bought an older, racier aluminum...but my next bike will be steel. (I have no interest in carbon fiber)
Old 02-13-13, 10:44 PM
IcySmooth52

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DayGloDago
I didn't ever ride a real road bike till I was in my mid 20's....but just that one ride opened my eyes- and the memory of it is what got me into cycling now, at 50.

I know what you mean- I think I'm going to end up being one of those people with several bikes....'cause I keep envisioning having a different bike for different circumstances. I currently have an aluminum; and just bought an older, racier aluminum...but my next bike will be steel. (I have no interest in carbon fiber)
I belive this approach. Cycling is best with a quiver of bicycle styles/types you have the best bike for the situation. (Not necesarily the highest performance bike for each).

For road bikes I own 3: a cyclocross bike with full fenders most of the time for a full workout in the rain or dirt roads (I change the tires), a track bike partially for style but also for cadence practice, and an Altamira (carbon) for the nice day group ride or a race event. I don't regret keeping any of them.
Old 02-14-13, 12:15 AM
SteveFromNY
Don't steal bikes, bro!

Bikes: Scrambler V3 fixie build, Specialized Tricross Ultegra, Cevelo R3 Dura Ace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I swapped out the knobbies for road tires on my tricross and was super happy. It was comfortable enough for 60+ mile rides, but it was just a bit heavy. I bought an R3 to replace it, but I just can't sell the cross bike. I really liked it, and spent a ton of money building it up, so I may keep it as a commuter.

The R3 however (same as roubaix, synapse etc) is just unbelievably comfortable. It's also super light so climbing and snap acceleration is effortless, but I can ride this thing all day. If you realistically don't see yourself going off road, the roubaix would be a great trade.
Old 02-14-13, 12:23 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
sell it. get the right bike for yje kind of riding you like.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack