Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

NAHBS 2013 Pix

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

NAHBS 2013 Pix

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-13, 10:43 AM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 387 Posts
The Gangl has world champion stripes and a logo very similar to De Rosa, whether the builder likes it or not, he/she is inviting the comparison.

Thanks for the photos, I like the Cherubim quite a lot.
Old 02-28-13, 01:18 PM
busdriver1959

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I'm pretty sure there is only one way to earn the right to display world champion stripes on your frame and that doesn't count as a ripoff. The lugwork on the Bishops was beautiful. Pictures don't do justice.
Old 03-01-13, 12:48 AM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wulf
Not much in the pics that I really liked and a lot of things I didnt care for at all:
Straight forks - look hipster.
Unicrown forks - look walmart
Socket dropouts - eliminates one area a maker can distinguish himself with.
Seat collars - do not belong on a custom steel frame.
Sloping top tubes - method used to fit many sized riders on a standard sized frames. If you build custom
frames then make it the right size.
Go to Cirque if you want to get your retrogrouch on.

As for the sloping top tube thing, anymore it's often to secretly French fit people.
Old 03-01-13, 05:00 AM
busdriver1959

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
As far as sloping toptubes go, I prefer a level one myself. In defense of the builders at NAHBS, rather than sloping the tube because they only want molds for a small number of frame sizes,like the carbon companies, they are looking at fit from a different point of view. People are leaning toward higher handlebars compared to a few years ago and they feel that headset spacers used to make the bike fit correctly have no place on a custom frame. To get the headtube to the right length and still have a reasonable standover, the toptube has to slope a little. Any more than a little bit of slope and they are trying to look more like a carbon frame made by 12 year old indentured servants in Shenzen China. Like that's a good thing.
Old 03-01-13, 05:46 AM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That Groovy gave me heart palpitations! <3 <3
Old 03-01-13, 12:22 PM
Creme Brulee

Bikes: koga miyata road gentleman, raleigh crested butte, raleigh comp 650b

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At least Sachs still keeps it real in these trying times of "ogres".

As for sloping top tubes, I used to hate them and i still do on road bikes. (sub 6 degrees is okay though). But on any bike where you're going to go on trails or rough stuff, not only is it better, but ive come to like the look of it too... I think it's from looking at all those old cunninghams. Those are great looking bikes! I cant get down with it On a fat tubed bike with 23s though, it looks like you're dragging the tail end of the bike or something.
Old 03-01-13, 12:52 PM
23skidoo
Gone World Hepster

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I love all the opinions flying around here, it's one of the things that keeps me coming back for more. +1 for the lugwork on the Bishops, it was so gorgeously understated and sexy.

I didn't see a photo of what the builder called his 'ranch bike'--it had a rear rack custom-fitted for a Stihl chainsaw--in pcb's flickr stream and wonder if anyone else got a shot of it? My son-in-law and frank the welder are talking about building a farm bike and that was the one pic I regret not getting.
Old 03-01-13, 01:11 PM
jr59

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 23skidoo
I love all the opinions flying around here, it's one of the things that keeps me coming back for more. +1 for the lugwork on the Bishops, it was so gorgeously understated and sexy.

I didn't see a photo of what the builder called his 'ranch bike'--it had a rear rack custom-fitted for a Stihl chainsaw--in pcb's flickr stream and wonder if anyone else got a shot of it? My son-in-law and frank the welder are talking about building a farm bike and that was the one pic I regret not getting.
Moots made a 1 off for the show.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/velocla...5978/lightbox/