Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road cycling and weightlifting. Advice appreciated!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Road cycling and weightlifting. Advice appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-13, 02:24 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Since the new year, I've been going to the gym as well as riding more. I don't think you need to over think too much. Overall, I found that doing weights and riding work very well together. I have not bulked up. In fact, I've shrunk in leg size as the thigh and calf muscles have tightened up. I am also able to exert more force on the pedals with much less effort.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 02-27-13, 08:16 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not going to end up drawn into the toning/blah blah blah discussion but let me shed a little light on what I think. Muscle tone is a reflection of bodyfat. Bodyfat, for the most part is a reflection of diet. Case in point my wife is going for her Figure Pro card this year (diet just started) and in getting ready for her last show she cut out doing cardio completely and still came in too lean and too hard for figure (could have done physique) - all accomplished with weights/diet only.
Since I stopped riding in Mid October I have put on 54 pounds. Now many of you know I am a big guy to begin with (5'10.5", 234) and have always been torn between cycling and bodybuilding/powerlifting as such when racing on the bike I have always been the largest guy in the field.
As I come and go in the sport I am often asked why I can get up to race speed so quickly (I am a Cat 1) the answer is simple:
1. Genetics
2. Years of racing (was a Cat 1 by 18 years old)
3. Most importantly - I am extremely strong and have never become lazy. If I am not training on the bike I am killing myself in the gym.

I have spoken in the 33 about some of my leg routines that I have found specifically help cyclists, If you want them let me know.
Old 02-27-13, 08:34 AM
deepakvrao

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by rkwaki

I have spoken in the 33 about some of my leg routines that I have found specifically help cyclists, If you want them let me know.
What's the 33?

I have just started weight training from Jan, and this month have added legs. Would love to know your leg routines for cyclists.
Old 02-27-13, 08:46 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deepakvrao
What's the 33?

I have just started weight training from Jan, and this month have added legs. Would love to know your leg routines for cyclists.
The 33 is the racing subforum.
Old 02-27-13, 08:48 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-Race-Training

Look at post #11
Old 02-27-13, 09:27 AM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OldManRiley
I do a 5x5 lifting program while cycling. Even though it is squat-centric, it has no ill effects on my legs. You may be surprised how much explosive strength you have left after a long day on the road, since cycling uses some of the same muscles, but in very different ways. The other nice thing about 5x5 / SS is that it keeps you really strong but you don't but on non-functional bulk. The only downside is that I have to eat so much every day just to maintain weight that it can get uncomfortable.
Originally Posted by Biscayne05
Speaking of which, I've been doing his 5x5 program (again, for the first time in 5 years) since December and have gotten stronger since.

I'm looking to switch up my program end of March. Everyone should look up that program and try it for building strength. It's not quite the perfect Strength training routine/program aimed for cycling but for general fitness it's excellent. You do work on your legs by doing Squats and Deadlifts which are the very basic and very important leg exercises.
+1 about the 5x5 system. Anyone interested in toning up, building strength, etc. should get Rippetoe's book - or, at least, get a reliable 5x5 program.

But bear in mind - it's typically done for just a few months at a time.

Originally Posted by coasting
Since the new year, I've been going to the gym as well as riding more. I don't think you need to over think too much. Overall, I found that doing weights and riding work very well together. I have not bulked up. In fact, I've shrunk in leg size as the thigh and calf muscles have tightened up. I am also able to exert more force on the pedals with much less effort.
Caveat : Your experience does not apply universally. The bulking - or not bulking - depends entirely on what exercises you've been doing, what weights, the number of sets and reps, what cardio you're doing, how long you've been working out, and what nutrition you've been on. There are so many variables in that list - let alone the fact that everyone's body reacts differently, especially in that honeymoon period we call "newbie gains".

Nevertheless - <generalization follows> whatever you're doing in the gym is better than doing nothing in the gym, and I have no doubt that the improvements you've seen will yield good results on the road. Nothing trains you for cycling as well as cycling - but time in the gym definitely helps.

Not going to end up drawn into the toning/blah blah blah discussion...
Same here. But let me just add an old gym-rats saw when talking about washerboard abs:

Six-pack abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym.
Old 02-27-13, 09:31 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great statement.
My wife has had a six pack after both kids, still has one and is 40 years old.
Everyone has a six pack, most are covered up by fat.
Old 02-27-13, 09:51 AM
NWS Alpine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great statement.
My wife has had a six pack after both kids, still has one and is 40 years old.
Everyone has a six pack, most are covered up by fat.
Yeah as I like to say "I like to keep my abs protected" when the weight goes up.
Old 03-05-13, 09:35 AM
MrCrassic 

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NMBuff
Olympic lifting is NOT powerlifting. I've trained with both Oly lifters and powerlifters and they train completely differently. Hi-bar vs low bar squats to name one. Oly lifting focuses more on POWER than strength, unlike powerlifting.

Cleans and snatches really help your sprints in cycling. Squats and deadlifts are good for general strength, but don't necessarily translate. Get strong "enough" at them and train like an Oly lifter. You'll see more gains in your sprints. For endurance just ride your bike.

Unfortunately, your body will want to specialize. Choose what you want to excel in. If you want to race, get strong and powerful "enough." If you want to compete in oly events or powerlifting events eat your calories and lift, lift, lift.
I don't want to become a lifter. I just want to look better naked, lol.

Riding is great for endurance (I don't want to race) and for building leg mass, but does absolutely nothing for the upper body or for maintaining flexibility or general fitness. That's why I started lifting.

I went for my first ride of the year on Sunday; a short 50-miler. It felt pretty good, though my legs were a little slower at responding to climbs than they used to be. This was expected since I've done a lot of SST on the trainer but no training around improving my climbing speed. Speed on the flats improved a lot.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
Old 03-05-13, 08:01 PM
RedNose44

Bikes: 2011 Cervelo R5, 2012 Cervelo R5ca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been lifting most of my life. I got hardcore into it when I was in the Army in my early 20's. I still lift 5 days a week, and I also cycle about 5-6 days a week. I have had to cut down on my miles in the past when I started getting too skinny and was losing muscle mass. I am 5'10" and hover around 182-185. I was getting down into the mid 170 range when I was cycling too much. It's all about finding balance IMO. At my peak I was a ripped 215 in my late 20's, but I feel much better now where I am at. Just my.02.
Old 03-05-13, 09:45 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Liked 1,995 Times in 1,419 Posts
Looking back through my databases, the best season I ever had in terms of cycling's markers, climbing and endurance, I lifted quite a bit, usually twice a week. I only lift to improve cycling performance and general resistance to injury.

Starting in October, I did a progression. I started by working up to 3 sets of 30 of 8 exercises circuit style, resting only enough to drop my HR below 100. I used the same weight every set, enough for failure at about the 30th rep of the last set once a week. Then I went to hypertrophy, 3 sets of 12. Then strength, 6 X 5. By the time I had done strength for 6 weeks, it was the end of February. I switched back to 1 set of 30, twice a week for 6 weeks. For the rest of the summer I did one set of 30, once a week, not working to failure.

The objective was not only to get stronger, as in lift more weight, but not to get injured, and to still be able to bike. I did all my lifting after biking on my rollers or outdoors, or spin class. That way it didn't cut into time on the bike. I often reduced intensity on days following weight workouts. I lifted on Tuesday and Thursday and did a competitive ride on Sunday, every week. I usually hiked on Monday and biked Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, then either did a short roller session on Friday or used a Stepmill at the gym.

I'm following this program again this year, with good results, though I've added more rest days since I don't recover as quickly as I used to.

Exericises:
Leg sled
Seated cable row
Back machine
Squats
Pushups
Straight legged deadlifts
One-legged calf raises
Roman chair
Lat pull-down

I don't follow the progression on the back machine, SLDLs, pushups, or calf raises, instead keeping these at 3 sets of 30, then reduced to 1 set. I stop squats and lat pull-downs around New Years. With luck I should be able to keep this up until I'm 80. Now that I'm retired, I'm also downhill skiing on Thursday, so that day I ski, do a spin class, and lift.

I eat so as to have a weight peak around New Years, then slowly losing weight going into the season, from 5-10 lbs. depending on how heavy I got. Can't climb if I'm heavy. My summer weight hasn't varied much in 20 years.