Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Canceling subscription to Bicycling

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Canceling subscription to Bicycling

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-05, 12:12 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Bicycling ran a feature, recently "Bike Town" where they gave free bikes to people in communities experiencing hardship, and watched to see if it improved their quality of life. I really liked that article. In a subsequent issue they reported on doing it again, but when I saw that this time they had given free bikes to Microsoft!! employees I just about puked.
Robert
Old 09-04-05, 12:24 PM
Bontrager

Bikes: Road, MTB, Folding, Commuting bikes...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Someone has probably already said it but why not just go to your local Barne's and Noble and read your magazine of choice over a cup of coffee?
Old 09-04-05, 01:17 PM
kuan
Twincities MN

Bikes: Fat Caad Lefty, Foundry Overland.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Take a look at Climbing Magazine, also Rock and Ice.
Old 09-04-05, 01:54 PM
Daily Commute
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Hate-To-Bike
And that's why the bicycle "industry" in North America is virtually non-existant. Except for the product (manufactured in the Orient) sold at the big box stores, the industry ignores the majority of its potential customers and has done so for at least three decades. Bicycling Magazine caters to those racer wannabes who might purchase the overpriced "industry" products available at boutique bicycling shops. And those who purchase SUVs for hauling their high priced bicycles to places where they might use them.
There's nothing wrong with buying a $50 bike at a big box store, but would anyone buying a fifty-dollar-big-box bike pay another $20 a year for a subscription to a bicycling magazine?

On an unrelated note, are you capable of writing a post that doesn't insult someone? Are there any cyclists (other than yourself) whom you respect?

Last edited by Daily Commute; 09-07-05 at 02:47 AM.
Old 09-04-05, 02:36 PM
hi565
By-Tor...or the Snow Dog?

Bikes: Bianchi Cross Concept, Flyte Srs-3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikepacker67
Unfortunately most cycling mags treat us all as Lance wannnabes - not there's anything wrong with racers, but that's such a small slice of the cycling pie.
ever been to Barnes and nobles? They have some cycling mags that are not erally lance focused. Theres a mag called cycling(? not completely sure) But for a 100 bucks you can get it for a year, and its def. not lance focused.
Old 09-04-05, 04:26 PM
JBar

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Marin Pine Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
procycling is a good mag focused on the Euro pro scene. Bicycling is just like most other specialty mags (Acoustic Guitar, Outside, Canoe, etc, etc). They're interesting for the first few issues, but by then you've seen all the regular tech features and realize that the product reviews never call anything a piece of crap, etc, etc. All of the articles are of pretty good interest to the newbie with little knowledge base, but after a few issues, it's just S.O.S.
Old 09-04-05, 04:43 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,599 Times in 1,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Daily Commute
What we really need is a Consumer Reports for bicycles--no ads, and they have to buy all the stuff they test.
There is such a magazine. It is called Consumer Reports.

They do periodically test the type of bicycles bought by a large slice of the American public; but not the high priced specialty products found at boutique bicycle shops featured in Bicycling Magazine and so admired by cycling afficianados.
Old 09-04-05, 05:05 PM
Crank It Up
CyclePath

Bikes: 1980 Austro Daimler Vent Noir/Reynolds 531/Campy NR/NGS. 1983 Univega Super Strada/Tange Champion/Dura Ace AX. 1984 Raleigh Elkhorn MTB. 2002 EPX 303/CF/Ultegra/105. 2005 Motobecane Fly Pro/XT/LX HT. 2006 Scattante CFR LE DA 10.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by krispistoferson
..... That magazine sucks.
Agreed. Stopped reading it since the late 80's. (btw that Bruce Lee clip: pwned! is way cool!)
Old 09-04-05, 06:47 PM
TomM

Bikes: Surly SteamRoller

Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
Instead of car ads, bicycling should be promoting alternate means of transportation like bicycles.
Old 09-04-05, 06:50 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
But it's the slice that drives the industry!
Ohh ya? I see a shytload of Boomers touring, and pleasure riding.
Old 09-04-05, 07:42 PM
Doug Campbell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While your at Barnes & Nobles, check out Cycling Plus , and English mag. Not bad.
Old 09-04-05, 08:41 PM
Dahon.Steve

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by norsehabanero
maybe we need to start a thread with just gps cords of good places to ride
Holy Cow..

I didn't think this thread would strike a nerve since most of my topics hardly get looked at. I struck a nerve!

I think we should have a thread with just GPS coordinates and those of us with GPS's can contribute each week. You're recomendation is the best I've seen in a long while.
Old 09-04-05, 08:49 PM
Dahon.Steve

Originally Posted by Bikepacker67
Unfortunately most cycling mags treat us all as Lance wannnabes - not there's anything wrong with racers, but that's such a small slice of the cycling pie.
There's nothing wrong with the racers either. I know it fuels the sport but there are already two or three magazines devoted to this topic. If I want to know about racing, I'd buy Pro-Cycling or Cyclesport buy dedicate precious space to this topic in a magazine with limited space.
Old 09-04-05, 08:56 PM
Dahon.Steve

Originally Posted by allgoo19
I think it's more like we are seeing the end of hard copy magazines in general. There are so much more information when you need it on the net.

I have dropped other subscriptions too. It started looking more and more like unnecessary paper waste.
Agreed. I've learned more on these forums in the past 3 months than in 3 years of Bicycling.
Old 09-04-05, 09:01 PM
Dahon.Steve

Originally Posted by Olebiker
I wish there was an American equivalent to Cycling Plus. Those folks do it right with information about reasonably priced bikes, places to ride, clubs, racing, randonneuring, audax, commuting, AND expensive bikes.
Cycling Plus is better than bicycling for they actually use compare bikes against each other! Unfortunately, Cycling Plus is too expensive and many of the bikes are not sold in the U.S. They also spend too much time on new products instead of CYCLING which is what it's all about in the first place.
Old 09-04-05, 09:06 PM
swifferman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On a side note...Does anyone have an April Buyer's Guide they could send my way? I could return the favour by sending you an Urban Male Magazine if you want it, or wait for my new next magazine as they usually go straight to bathroom readers and thus, look crappy.

I just like looking at the products as it's hard for me to do online.

I agree though, the articles are generally awful however I re-read the Editor's choice section over and over again from one of the two trial issues I have as I like looking at the products.

Thanks
Old 09-04-05, 10:04 PM
linux_author
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TomM
Instead of car ads, bicycling should be promoting alternate means of transportation like bicycles.
- instead of the insipid sexual performance drug ads, there should be more of a news hole for good articles...

- i'm letting my subscription lapse to this piece of trash flash, obviously laid out and designed by ignorant 'tweens' without a clue about bicycling, its history, or real meaning to people who actually ride (and buy) bicycles and bicycle accessories...

- this putrid editorial effluence's headline writers should be flogged in public...

- a disgusting experiment in exploitation, IMHO... Bicycling Magazine has no editorial or advertising integrity as evidenced by its last three issues... (i subscribed in June 2005)....
Old 09-05-05, 06:10 AM
Daily Commute
Ride the Road

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
There is such a magazine. It is called Consumer Reports.

They do periodically test the type of bicycles bought by a large slice of the American public; but not the high priced specialty products found at boutique bicycle shops featured in Bicycling Magazine and so admired by cycling afficianados.
They test such a tiny slice of even the low-end market that they probably shouldn't bother. It would be helpful to have something that tests, for example, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra and Dura Ace cassettes to quantify exactly what you get at each higher level (other than weight and price).

In all hobbies and sports, there are some people who are happy to stay at the entry level. There's nothing wrong with that. Even the roadies you love to hate stay at the entry level in some activities (home maintenance, cooking, etc.).

But what those of us who want to go beyond the entry level in cycling need is a magazine that gives as much attention to bicycles and bicycle equipment as Consumer Reports gives to cars like Lexus, Mercedes, and BMW.

Last edited by Daily Commute; 09-07-05 at 02:48 AM.
Old 09-05-05, 10:49 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

But what those of us who want to go beyond the entry level in cycling need is a magazine that gives as much attention to bicycles and bicycle equipment as Consumer Reports gives to cars like Lexus, Mercedes, and BMW.
Really? How many cyclists besides yourself and whomever else is "us" do you believe exist with this unfullfilled "need" for equipment reviews? Apparantly few (i.e. ZERO) entrepreneurs agree that there is any profit to be found servicing this alleged "need."

Is this "need" related to the "need" to educate/train "entry level" (whatever that is) cyclists who have yet to attain the exalted status of "those of us" who consider themselves superior to lowly "entry level" cyclists?
Old 09-05-05, 10:57 AM
dee-vee
vegan powered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get the mag for free and since im in team performance they gave me a free year just a while ago.
Old 09-05-05, 11:17 AM
Bontrager

Bikes: Road, MTB, Folding, Commuting bikes...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Consumer Reports..
I used to subscribe until I realized they just wanted my money to fuel their Suzuki Samuri lawsuit. While I do give them credit for some of the work they do, some of it is pure rubbish. Some of their comparisons completely miss the mark to the point that it makes me wonder.

I almost laughed when they rated the Jeep Wrangler.
Old 09-05-05, 11:23 AM
Daily Commute
Ride the Road

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Really? How many cyclists besides yourself and whomever else is "us" do you believe exist with this unfullfilled "need" for equipment reviews? Apparantly few (i.e. ZERO) entrepreneurs agree that there is any profit to be found servicing this alleged "need."

Is this "need" related to the "need" to educate/train "entry level" (whatever that is) cyclists who have yet to attain the exalted status of "those of us" who consider themselves superior to lowly "entry level" cyclists?
Given the number of threads in this forum started by people who want very specific information about what products work best, it's clear that your desire to remain in the dark about the products you use is not shared by all. My guess is that a lot of the subscriptions to "Bicycling" and other cycling magazines are from people looking for information on what products are better than others.

Finally, I'm not an expert or serious amateur carpenter (and never will be), but I won't call a carpenter a snob for wanting technical information on what tools and techniques work the best. Why do you do the same for cyclists? That leads me back to the question I asked earlier, other than yourself, are there any cyclists you respect?

Last edited by Daily Commute; 09-07-05 at 02:48 AM.
Old 09-05-05, 02:33 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Given the number of threads in this forum started by people who want very specific information about what products work best, it's clear that your desire to remain in the dark about the products you use is not shared by all. My guess is that a lot of the subscriptions to "Bicycling" and other cycling magazines are from people looking for information on what products are better than others.

Finally, I'm not an expert or serious amateur carpenter (and never will be), but I won't call a carpenter a snob for wanting technical information on what tools and techniques work the best. Why do you do the same for cyclists? That leads me back to the question I asked earlier, other than yourself, are there any cyclists you respect?
Your irrelevant text about carpentry and equally irrelevant and smug "personal" questions notwithstanding, it is equally clear that this unserved market of curious "serious cyclists" with unanswered equipment questions carries little weight in the information market place. IMO, few cyclists give a dang about this "missing" info, except for a handful of those perpetually curious about the latest and greatest gizmo from the Bicycle Boutique Industry.
Old 09-05-05, 02:42 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bontrager
While I do give them credit for some of the work they do, some of it is pure rubbish. Some of their comparisons completely miss the mark to the point that it makes me wonder.
Although I wouldn't call even their worst reviews "pure rubbish," I agree that Consumer Reports (CR) often has priorities that don't match mine. For example, they seem to rate loudspeakers by how much bass the speaker can reproduce - not my priority at all.. However, even when CR's priorities don't match mine, CR usually does a good enough job of stating their biases that I can tell whether the review is of use to me or not.

On the other hand, reliability is reliability. If I'm buying an appliance (or a car - which is an appliance to me), reliability and safety are my top priorities. I find CR most useful in those circumstances. I'm not interested in CR's opinion of how quiet the car is, how comfortable the car was, or how CR rated the car overall - only the safety and reliability. For this reason, CR is useful to me, even when I disagree with their overall assessment of a product.

I still subscribe to CR even though I disagree with about a third of their overall assessments. It isn't that they did a bad job on the review - it's just that my priorities are different than their reviewers.
Old 09-05-05, 03:11 PM
TomM

Bikes: Surly SteamRoller

Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
Sometimes it seems that reviews in magazines are too sterile. I prefer to post questions on sites like BikeForums asking for experiences with specific products.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.