Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Took the plunge...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Took the plunge...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-13, 01:19 PM
Erwin8r

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
Great job on getting going!

My only advice is that remember how it feels when you are in a car and someone is holding things up in front of you while you are trying to get somewhere, be it an inconsiderate driver going really slow, a tractor trying to get to their field, or yes even a bike going somewhere. Remember that just because you have a legal right to be on a road doesn't mean it's a good idea. Us commuters need to be as considerate to people as we want them to be considerate to us.

Having said all that and assuming you WERE being considerate, some people (cars, bikes, etc) are just jerks. Burns me up bad just like it did you.
Thanks Wonder Monkey!

As a motorcyclist, driver, and now bicycle commuter, I consider myself a very considerate rider/driver. I don't go slow intentionally, change lanes well in advance, don't like to "cut" in the front of a merge line, etc. And I commuted for a long time on a motorcyle, splitting lanes (legal here in California), so I learned the give and take of it all. Still, When I am in a lane, on a 4 lane road, over to the right as far as safe/possible, a driver that brushes past me at more than a 20 mph difference, inches from the end of my bar, is gong to be thought of as an a**hole. And its playing games with my life... I will not be relegated to the sidewalk (sorry, it's not even legal here...) just because someone is in a hurry. I give cyclists wide berths because I never know when they may have to jerk or swerve--and I would not ever want to be responsible for tagging one.

I truly believe that a large percentage of drivers do not understand, or choose not to believe, that cyclists have as much right to the road as them, nor do they understand the traffic laws; it seems that some feel that we are somehow infringing on their rights to drive when they please and how they please.

Ok, rant off.
Old 04-18-13, 01:30 PM
deeth82
Dirty Schwinn-Lover

Bikes: '11 & '13 Schwinn Racers, Takara (Kent) Kabuto, '11 Gary Fisher (Trek) Marlin SS 29er, Schwinn Sanctuary Cruiser, '11 Schwinn Sid, Firmstrong Chief 3-spd, '10 Schwinn Corvette

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great job! Clyde here, as well...6'1"; 230lbs...route is 14 miles round-trip...it sounds like it's already becoming second-nature for you! It's a good feeling. On days when I don't ride (fair-weather commuter), I drag a bit...but on days when I ride in, I'm 100% energy until I land on the couch at home after 5. Since I started bike commuting, I've ditched the CPAP machine and slept better than ever before. Pretty much everything has improved now that I'm not riding around in my car. And of course, I save on gas money.

Two quick suggestions: I'd suggest letting a trunk rack carry the commuting weight for you, but all that aside, let me suggest one cheap method of lighting your way: Cree LED. I think sometimes these lights are hit-or-miss, but I got mine for $25 and it has performed like a champ for several months. I strap it to the handlebars, nestle the battery pack right up against the head tube, and I go!
Old 04-18-13, 08:50 PM
terrapin44

Bikes: 2012 Civia Prospect, 2012 Specialized Sirrus Sport, 199x Canondale M800

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats at jumping right in1 I didn't do 3 days in a row for a long time. I have also been lazy this winter, but now that the weather is getting better, I plan on doing a lot more bike-commuting soon.
Old 04-18-13, 09:57 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,491 Times in 2,590 Posts
Another Clyde here, about like you at 6' 240; I recently started commuting about 6mi ea way (had to move closer to work to do it -- the 26mi ea. way from the old house I could only manage about once a month!).

Keep it up; if it helps, think of it this way: you've got some awesome bikes there, that cost a pretty penny. You need to bike commute so you can use them enough to deserve them! (otherwise it's money down the drain)
Old 04-19-13, 01:56 AM
stockholm
Just a commuter

Bikes: Scott Metrix 20 for commuting, Specialized Dolce Elite for fun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I absolutely love these stories! Keep us posted, will you?

Thanks for being an inspiration (even though I've been commuting for years and years).
Old 04-19-13, 02:28 PM
Erwin8r

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stockholm
I absolutely love these stories! Keep us posted, will you?

Thanks for being an inspiration (even though I've been commuting for years and years).
Absolutely will do! I took a break today and drove in. I didn't want to, but I don't want to burn myself out too quickly (heeding some sage advice above). It kind of stinks knowing that the truck is parked outside, and it stunk ven more when I had to fill up this morning (with Diesel at $4.25?!?!?!).

My legs (quads, specifically) are sore--but not overly so. My back is feeling it a bit too, but I'm sure that's a result of a desk-chair-and-couch-weakened core. I aim to fix that!

Looking forward to Monday!
Old 04-19-13, 03:08 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Erwin8r
Absolutely will do! I took a break today and drove in. I didn't want to, but I don't want to burn myself out too quickly (heeding some sage advice above).
I'll give you some more advice that I hope you also find sage-y. Don't wimp out too quickly either. I'm not saying that driving today is wimping out too quickly, but don't set a habit of deciding to drive instead of ride just vaguely "sometimes", for the reason of "maybe I should".

I recommend you lay out some concrete goals; how many days per week/month do you want to be riding once you've grown past the initial hump? How long do you want to allow yourself to get to that point? Give yourself a weekly allowance of driving days that ramps down from here to there, and get somebody else to monitor your progress with you and help keep you accountable. If not your wife, I'm sure the nice folks here at BF would be glad to help!

Don't forget to include in your long term expectations some consideration of how you expect to deal with rain, snow, cold, Dr/Dentist appointments, etc, all the things that will definitely come up, and how you will decide whether they demand a special driving day.
Old 04-19-13, 03:39 PM
Erwin8r

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rube, I hear ya, and I've already established most of the things you mention. I plan to drive in only one day a week, at most. I'm hoping that turns into *zero* days rather shortly, and it very well could have been this week except that I'm being smart and listening to my body a bit... I want this to become a way of life for me from this point forward, as much as I can determine that. And like I mentioned, I already miss the ride and am looking forward to Monday!
Old 04-19-13, 08:14 PM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by -=(8)=-

In a month you will be completely addicted !
You will wonder why you didnt do this years ago.

Nice bikes too . . . Some quality iron
My sentiments exactly! After addiction you'll start asking yourself "why do people sit in traffic their cars?"
Old 04-22-13, 11:25 AM
Erwin8r

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Had a great ride this morning! The weather is exceptionally nice and spring-like (for Southern California), and I wore a pure cycling jersey for the first time (good move, as it got warm rather quickly). I took the slightly tougher way in, and just had a great time riding.

I think my next couple of adaptations will be a nice Osprey backpack (I'm getting a little tired of rocking two packs--the Fox hydration and the messenger bag over it) as my current set up is cluttered. I'm also thinking of those Betabrand pants you see advertised here--anyone have any experience with those? I had my Jogalite velcro band slip off my pant leg and I caught the edge of my pants. I suppose any more pant leg and I could have gone down--so, I need a better solution, and for now, I don't want to ride in shorts (don't want to hump too many clothes in).

Anyway, I'm still at it...
Old 04-22-13, 11:56 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Had a great ride this morning! The weather is exceptionally nice and spring-like (for Southern California), and I wore a pure cycling jersey for the first time (good move, as it got warm rather quickly). I took the slightly tougher way in, and just had a great time riding.

I think my next couple of adaptations will be a nice Osprey backpack (I'm getting a little tired of rocking two packs--the Fox hydration and the messenger bag over it) as my current set up is cluttered. I'm also thinking of those Betabrand pants you see advertised here--anyone have any experience with those? I had my Jogalite velcro band slip off my pant leg and I caught the edge of my pants. I suppose any more pant leg and I could have gone down--so, I need a better solution, and for now, I don't want to ride in shorts (don't want to hump too many clothes in).

Anyway, I'm still at it...
Nicely done! Keep it up (but keep it fun).

I highly recommend racks and panniers. It's nice not to have to carry anything on you and let your bike do it for you.
Old 04-23-13, 04:52 PM
Erwin8r

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
6.4 miles, 11 MPH average... this according to Strava. Now I have a benchmark...

It's definitely geting easier and more fun.
Old 04-23-13, 05:09 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

6.4 miles, 11 MPH average... this according to Strava. Now I have a benchmark...
Nice! I keep track of my commute times (sometimes, strava or endomondo or something automatic would be easier); my commute is a little under 6mi, my first entry was 10.59mph.

Last Friday was my first commute for time after a couple months of taking it easy from a back issue; crushed my previous personal best by 2.5min!

There will be ups and downs, but if you track regularly and work at it, you will enjoy a downward trend!
Old 04-24-13, 08:05 AM
arsprod 

Originally Posted by RubeRad
Nice! I keep track of my commute times (sometimes, strava or endomondo or something automatic would be easier); my commute is a little under 6mi, my first entry was 10.59mph.

Last Friday was my first commute for time after a couple months of taking it easy from a back issue; crushed my previous personal best by 2.5min!

There will be ups and downs, but if you track regularly and work at it, you will enjoy a downward trend!
+1 about tracking your rides. I use Endomondo but it really doesn't matter what app. I'm not into trying to best my speeds but it's really satisfying to see accumulated distance and improvements in time. I also enjoy checking in on the "How was your ride today" thread
Old 04-24-13, 10:15 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Still, When I am in a lane, on a 4 lane road, over to the right as far as safe/possible, a driver that brushes past me at more than a 20 mph difference, inches from the end of my bar, is gong to be thought of as an a**hole. And its playing games with my life... I will not be relegated to the sidewalk (sorry, it's not even legal here...) just because someone is in a hurry. I give cyclists wide berths because I never know when they may have to jerk or swerve--and I would not ever want to be responsible for tagging one.
If you're on a 4-lane road, it's almost ALWAYS best to be farther out in the right lane. That way people MUST change lanes to get around you. And since it's a 4-lane road there's always that left lane there for them to do so. If you hug the right side then people think they have enough room to edge past you in the lane, or by just barely crossing the lane lines, which almost always means they pass too close.

I know it may sound more dangerous, but it really is safer. High-vis clothing helps a bunch, also. I've ridden on plenty of 4 and 5-lane roads around here. When I used to hug the right side, I got people buzzing me and honking all the time. When I'm farther out into the lane, they always change lanes fully.
Old 04-24-13, 10:53 AM
Erwin8r

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
If you're on a 4-lane road, it's almost ALWAYS best to be farther out in the right lane. That way people MUST change lanes to get around you. And since it's a 4-lane road there's always that left lane there for them to do so. If you hug the right side then people think they have enough room to edge past you in the lane, or by just barely crossing the lane lines, which almost always means they pass too close.

I know it may sound more dangerous, but it really is safer. High-vis clothing helps a bunch, also. I've ridden on plenty of 4 and 5-lane roads around here. When I used to hug the right side, I got people buzzing me and honking all the time. When I'm farther out into the lane, they always change lanes fully.
Patrick, that makes a lot of sense. There is that inner fear of being hit from behind by a careless or distracted driver, so that always had me hugging the right. But I see your point--especially if the driver(s) has another lane option. I think I'll try that. Thanks!
Old 04-24-13, 11:38 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Like I said, wearing high-vis helps (it certainly boosts my confidence), and also having a nice, bright rear light. The Cygolite Hotshot is a great bang for the buck light at $30 or less, and USB rechargeable. Some kind of mirror would probably help your confidence, also. I've been meaning to get one but just haven't yet. It kinda sucks having to turn my head to look back.
Old 04-24-13, 11:55 AM
PatrickGSR94

Here's a *great* video that demonstrates the effectiveness of both lane position and high-vis clothing.

https://vimeo.com/album/1881848/video/17300276
Old 04-24-13, 12:07 PM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Like I said, wearing high-vis helps (it certainly boosts my confidence), and also having a nice, bright rear light. The Cygolite Hotshot is a great bang for the buck light at $30 or less, and USB rechargeable. Some kind of mirror would probably help your confidence, also. I've been meaning to get one but just haven't yet. It kinda sucks having to turn my head to look back.
+1 on High vis
+1 on bright rear light (I've got the hotshot, too)
+1 on mirror.

In my case, I've got a recumbent with a fairly laid-back seat angle. Turning to look is damn near impossible sometimes. I feel quite naked without a mirror...
Old 04-24-13, 03:34 PM
rgdenis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a very inspiring story! Keep going man, you won't regret it and you'll too, be addicted sooner or later!
Old 04-25-13, 08:05 AM
arsprod 

Here's a *great* video that demonstrates the effectiveness of both lane position and high-vis clothing.

https://vimeo.com/album/1881848/video/17300276
good video, but if I saw more video of what's going on behind me I'd stop commuting!
Old 04-25-13, 12:20 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7397 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,498 Posts
Good for you, Erwin8r. I've been using my bike as transportation for over 35 years, and I still get a big -- perhaps even inflated -- feeling of accomplishment every time I get somewhere by bike.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-25-13, 01:36 PM
Erwin8r

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noglider
Good for you, Erwin8r. I've been using my bike as transportation for over 35 years, and I still get a big -- perhaps even inflated -- feeling of accomplishment every time I get somewhere by bike.
Thanks guys! I feel very much the same way (especailly when I get home at night and know that the truck never left garage...).

My biggest dilema now is choosing between the slicked-out MTB or a full-on road bike.
Old 04-26-13, 07:28 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7397 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,498 Posts
You don't have to decide, since you own both. Ride them both on different days. You may find yourself putting fenders on one of them, which will make it your rainy day bike.

You haven't shown us your road bike yet. Come on, get with it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-26-13, 11:09 AM
Erwin8r

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noglider
You don't have to decide, since you own both. Ride them both on different days. You may find yourself putting fenders on one of them, which will make it your rainy day bike.

You haven't shown us your road bike yet. Come on, get with it.
Ok, but I am shamefully undeserving of this steed (and when I get down to the weight I want, I am going to reward myself by "upgrading" it to the Campy Record stuff I've always wanted on it):

Btw, 6.5 miles, 12.3 MPH average, and knocked a few minutes off my ride this morning--and I took the more hilly route in... So, it was 3 days again this week (but 5 days of riding--I rode on Wednesday with the wife and kids after work).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.