Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

How Times A Week for Intervals

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-13, 01:38 AM
CanadianBiker32

Bikes: Maxim, Rocky Mountain, Argon 18, Cervelo S2 Team

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

How Many times a week should one be doing Interval training. That would give them proper time to recover?

Also is 60 to 90 minutes session for internvals good time frame.
more less iwant to do them so i can increase my speed and power.
Old 04-19-13, 02:29 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It depends on your state of fitness, your total training load, the sort of intervals you are doing...

One can't give advice about how often, or how long, without this sort of information.
Old 04-19-13, 03:59 AM
Diddii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think it depends on your level of fitness. I just started doing intervals 2 weeks ago, been cycling for 1 year now. (but only started doing it since i dont have much time for the next 6 weeks and have to get good workouts so i dont have much time)

Anyway i'm doing 3 diffrent types of intervals with one long endurance ride now
1. warmup 20min , then i do 5x 3-5min intervals with a rest time (1:1) , then cooldown = usually around 60mins
2. warmup 20min , then 8x 20sec (tabata, 10sec rest between) that's one set... going to start doing maybe two sets when i get stronger, then i cooldown.
3. warmup 20min , 1-2x20mins , cooldown - i've seen most improvements here, i cycle a 10km route that i try to beat my previous record times and since last summer i'm about 5mins faster now

I dont do interval training back to back on two consequtive days in a row

hope this helps some
Old 04-19-13, 10:53 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Liked 2,005 Times in 1,424 Posts
Also depends a lot on your age and talent for recovery. IOW, only you can answer that question, but it usually varies between twice and four times per week. Outdoors, I like to spend at least 1/2 hour riding to the site, then the intervals, then ride home 1/2 hour. Maybe 45 minutes to an hour doing the intervals. Sprint intervals are obviously shorter, but need rest between so not that different. If you're strong enough to do interval sets, then it could take considerably longer. Some people like to do one day, then a day or two easy, then another. Others like to do 2 days in a row, then a couple days easy. You have to experiment. You'll know you're overdoing it if you can't hit your numbers, whether they are HR or power. Then take a couple days off and try again. If you still can't, take a couple more off. It's nuts to do them if you're not hitting your numbers. So also stop when your last interval is not a good as your first, i.e. not as far up the hill or a drop in your numbers. You want quality first. If you don't have numbers, get them.