Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Buying advices: Bike Friday New world tourist

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-13, 05:17 PM
CenturionIM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This popped up on my local CL: https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/bik/3754110037.html

$735 for new world tourist, is it a good deal? If someone can offer some info on the frame material, weight and what not that will be great. the component seems decent enough to me.

This is my first experience with buying a folder, so please advise me on what to look for, what to avoid, what parts of the bike to pay attention to, etc etc.
Old 04-19-13, 05:54 PM
alhedges

Bikes: NWT 24sp DD; Brompton M6R

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
That's a good deal, and an excellent bike. Frame is cromoly; weight is probably about 25 lbs.
Old 04-19-13, 06:19 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would say that this is a very good deal... even more so considering the components and added accessories. After owning my NWT I wouldn't think twice about buying another so at almost half the price I paid for mine, this one would be a no-brainer.
Old 04-19-13, 08:17 PM
Foldable Two

Location: Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA

Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The rack, fenders and under-rack bag alone cost $250. to replace today. I am assuming your height is appropriate for a 56cm frame. (That's equal to a medium-sized Bike Friday 'stock' frame.)

Lou
Old 04-20-13, 09:19 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by CenturionIM
This popped up on my local CL: https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/bik/3754110037.html

$735 for new world tourist, is it a good deal? If someone can offer some info on the frame material, weight and what not that will be great. the component seems decent enough to me.

This is my first experience with buying a folder, so please advise me on what to look for, what to avoid, what parts of the bike to pay attention to, etc etc.
You are aware that the Bike Friday NWT is not a folder in the sense that it can be quickly folded for multi-modal commute like a Brompton?

FWIW that is a great price on a great bike. I had a NWT back in the early 90's and have regretted selling it to this day.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 04-20-13, 09:47 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Foldable Two
The rack, fenders and under-rack bag alone cost $250. to replace today...
The listing was last edited about three hours ago and the bag is no longer pictured... hmm.
Old 04-20-13, 10:52 AM
CenturionIM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
You are aware that the Bike Friday NWT is not a folder in the sense that it can be quickly folded for multi-modal commute like a Brompton?
Sorry, I am new to this type of bike. Can you explain a bit more in the difference bet,een a brompton and a NWT?

Hmm my height is 5'8", long leg short torso and usually ride a 54cm. The fit might be a problem.

Is the under rack bag really good piece of accessory? Thanks.
Old 04-20-13, 11:44 AM
Foldable Two

Location: Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA

Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, I am new to this type of bike. Can you explain a bit more in the difference bet,een a brompton and a NWT?

Hmm my height is 5'8", long leg short torso and usually ride a 54cm. The fit might be a problem.

Is the under rack bag really good piece of accessory? Thanks.
One general comment first: This bike has an "easy pack" seat mast, and not a folding seat mast (a new NWT can be ordered with either.)

Bike Friday is the only folding/travel bike manufacturer that offers different frame sizes - 3 stock sizes, 50,56, & 60cm; and eight custom sizes 48,50,52,54,56,58,60 & 62cm. My wife is also 5'8" with long legs. She has a 54cm custom frame and a 56cm stock frame. She is very happy with both. Bike Fridays are very adjustable, and she is also able to ride my 62cm NWT with no problem.

The under-seat bag is a nice idea, but it is not all that large (based upon seeing one personally), and therefore it is limited in what it can hold.

Lou
Old 04-20-13, 01:01 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
The seat mast can be replaced, If too long/short, as can steering Mast.

BF size is Top tube length.. 56 should be fine, stem is common thread-less type

only difference is putting a 5mm button head bolt through the face plate ..
so the 2 halves, of the take apart bars, come together in the center.

PL [not NWT] my 56, I'm using a 4.5cm stem.

I use their front rack. it too comes off and packs small for travel.

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-20-13 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-20-13, 08:44 PM
kamtsa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Brompton folds quickly to a small form that is self locking and easy to cary. The NWT fold is less elegant and less compact. The rear wheel folds under the bike, the seat mast in the NWT I had folded forward (not sure about the NWT in the picture, looks different) and then you separate the stem and handlebar but they are still handing on the brake and gear cables. More clumsy than the brompton. BF sell now a a folding handlebar stem that may fit this bike, dont know.

If a quick fold/unfold and ability to roll/lift the bike while folded, then the NWT is a great bike (e.g. it should fit in the trunk of most cars), especially for long rides. Personally I prefer the Brompton because of the quick and small fold and the built in suspension. NWT is a great bike though, BF post sale support is second to none and the CL price is very good and it feels closer to a 'normal' bike than Brompton.
Old 04-20-13, 09:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
NWT is more in service of packing into a suitcase sized bundle for travel to trip starts /returns.

than boarding a Bus or Train, daily, .. EZ pack parts are about convenient knock down to fit , the travel case.
Old 04-20-13, 09:22 PM
GeorgePaul

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team road bike, Giant XTC mountain bike , Bike Friday Pocket Llama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you explain a bit more in the difference bet,een a brompton and a NWT?
Another big difference between Brompton and NWT is that the Brompton uses 16" wheels and the NWT uses 20" wheels. You can put tires as wide as 1.75" on a Bike Friday NWT.
Old 04-21-13, 05:31 PM
CenturionIM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks all. I think i understand the difference now. NWT is the bike I take on a vacation to europe for two weeks whereas brompton is day in-day out commuting on train/bus/bike.

My regular bike fit is 545mm TT + 100mm stem. Since the stem on this bike is short, I guess I will be just fine.
Old 04-24-13, 06:08 AM
CenturionIM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just watched a video on how to fold the NWT. seems the rearwheel folds "down". The owner added a rack to the bike, Would I have to remove that to fold this bike properly?
Old 04-24-13, 07:42 AM
werks

Bikes: Bike Friday ( 2ea), Specialized TriCross Comp, Cannondale M900, Cannondale ST400 (1985), TREK T 900 Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The owner added a rack to the bike, Would I have to remove that to fold this bike properly?
You can fold it with the rack on, but folded size will be larger than without it so I don't think it will fit into a 62" case for airline travel.

If it's a quick release freestanding seatpost rack, it can be removed quickly. You can leave it attached when folded also.
This one shouldn't be loaded as heavily as the other style.

I'm new to folding bikes also, so I may be missing something here.

Great price btw !!

Tom

Last edited by werks; 04-24-13 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-24-13, 08:49 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by werks
I'm new to folding bikes also, so I may be missing something here.
Not missing a thing as far as I can tell.
Old 04-24-13, 09:25 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Liked 2,265 Times in 1,130 Posts
Good price. I bought one that had a broken "drop out" where the seat post/mast clamps to the rear triangle. BF sold me a replacement that I had a local person weld/braze on. I then had the rear triangle powder coated. New decals from BF and it looked nearly new.

My plan was to keep it but the folding was less than elegant. The ride was like a full size bike and the wheel base matched my wifes MTB which is longer than my Colnago. Very solid, great bike. If I was going to do a lot of touring in distant places, there is no question that this is the bike to own. For commuting, not a good choice.

Ended up selling it as pictured below for $950, after adjusting the rear fender.

[IMG]
Old 04-24-13, 07:35 PM
alhedges

Bikes: NWT 24sp DD; Brompton M6R

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
thanks all. I think i understand the difference now. NWT is the bike I take on a vacation to europe for two weeks whereas brompton is day in-day out commuting on train/bus/bike.
That's pretty much it, although you don't have to go to Europe: I got my NWT for bike camping with friends because that always involves travel (for me) and the NWT can take 4 regular panniers and rides well with them.
Old 04-25-13, 08:22 AM
kamtsa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's pretty much it, although you don't have to commute on a train/bus: I got my Brompton for general biking, including 15-30miles recreational rides, because it is very functional and a great all around bike.