Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Colnago for Ferrari. Private sale, should I buy it?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-13, 11:20 PM
sirnoodleton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Trying to figure out which C-(number) it is. C-x? 2009 was the C-60, this bike is thought to be mid 90s.

Campagnolo C-Record components.
Hand made wheels (aftermarket). Full carbon, (wheels too). Weighs 13.9 lbs. Asking $2400. Is it worth it? Help.
Cheers,
Sirnoodleton

this is the only photo I have of it. Also, it's in mint condition, it mostly spent time on a wall.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
MVC-001F (2).jpg (52.4 KB, 469 views)
Old 04-23-13, 12:19 AM
jolly_ross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're going to hang it on a wall (and why not, it is a thing of beauty) then it might be worth it. Not sure it makes sense to fork out the collectors premium if you're going to ride it though.

It's a bit like 1963 split-screen corvettes - the stratospheric prices mean that they only ever turn a wheel going into and out of car transporters. It'd be silly to buy one to drive to the mall.
Old 04-23-13, 10:09 AM
mrvrsick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jolly_ross
It's a bit like 1963 split-screen corvettes - the stratospheric prices mean that they only ever turn a wheel going into and out of car transporters. It'd be silly to buy one to drive to the mall.
Funny you should mention that, I just saw one cruising down the road to a fruit stand in Santa Paula.

And the bike, yeah it'd be nice to have on the wall of the garage, a showpiece for yourself. If you plan on buying to ride day in and day out, I'd consider something else for that dough...
Old 04-23-13, 10:11 AM
sirnoodleton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok, thanks guys! I think I will pass/wait on it. IF the guy still has it in a few years I'll be giving him a call haha. I would be riding it when it's really nice out, not every day.
Old 04-23-13, 10:17 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Liked 6,882 Times in 3,579 Posts
I'm not crazy about the aesthetics . . . for pre-owned $2,400 it has to have some bling for me.

That said, it does have C-Record, so if you like the aesthetics the price is certainly not outrageous.
Old 04-23-13, 07:45 PM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a damn sexy bike, IMHO. I'd hit it. Probably not for $2400, but $1800-2k.... I'd have a hard time saying no.
Old 04-23-13, 08:05 PM
blarnie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's early 2000's. Not C-Record. Just Record. And for $2400, it's not a bad deal. Not such a rare commodity that it can't be ridden everyday and not lose value. It's the same geo and construction as the C-40.
Old 04-23-13, 10:01 PM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yup, for 2400 in that condition is a steal. You can find 2000s record groups still selling for over 1k and that's a helluva nice frame for peanuts once u figure that. And then carbon wheels? Surprised you even have to ask. Not to mention that it's a collector's item as well (actually all of those early 2k carbon Colnagos are because they ride so effin well). Post this same question over on he Paceline forum and you'll get a much different response than u get here. In other words, run to get it, don't walk.
Of course, it helps if it fits you too, so verify that.
Old 04-23-13, 10:13 PM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Omg, that's a Ferrari CF1
https://autobus.cyclingnews.com/resul...ep30news.shtml

Big deal bike from 2000 and only 500 were made. He should be charging you more than double given just the wheel set and the group set. Heck, if it's a 56, I'll go get it myself
Old 04-23-13, 10:14 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Good for a rain bike.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 04-23-13, 11:00 PM
sirnoodleton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have closer photos now. I'm still skeptical, because I can't find any other bike that looks like this one online. I've tried every combination of CF or C I can think of. More help is needed, it's not a CF1.
Attached Images
MVC-008F.JPG (22.1 KB, 92 views)
MVC-007F.JPG (57.3 KB, 101 views)
MVC-006F.JPG (64.3 KB, 92 views)
MVC-005F.JPG (49.3 KB, 88 views)
MVC-004F.JPG (56.6 KB, 109 views)
MVC-003F.JPG (82.8 KB, 97 views)
MVC-002F.JPG (51.4 KB, 109 views)
MVC-001F.JPG (37.9 KB, 92 views)
Old 04-24-13, 10:03 AM
snidely
Cycliste sérieux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eippo1
Omg, that's a Ferrari CF1
https://autobus.cyclingnews.com/resul...ep30news.shtml

Big deal bike from 2000 and only 500 were made. He should be charging you more than double given just the wheel set and the group set. Heck, if it's a 56, I'll go get it myself
Not the same bike as OP.

OP, I would send the pics and possibly serial # to Colnago for their input. I'm sure they could tell you what the bike is. Hope it works out for you, because that is really a nice-looking bike!
Old 04-24-13, 10:31 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 944 Times in 623 Posts
Older Record parts are nothing to get excited about in my opnion. Nothing wrong with them, but nothing special either. I would rather have my 2010 Centaur with the new shifters.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 04-24-13, 10:40 AM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Look at the limit screws on that RD. Lots of adjustment or usage for a wall flower. Having a hard time finding anything on a lugged CF Colnago in Ferrari paint scheme.
Old 04-24-13, 10:41 AM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'd probably pay 2k for it. It's pretty cool. I'd make sure it's real first.
Old 04-24-13, 11:09 AM
sirnoodleton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Silvercivic27
I'd probably pay 2k for it. It's pretty cool. I'd make sure it's real first.
I just got an email back from colnago.
They just told me that the paint scheme on the bike has never been offered for a CF.
Ie. it's a paintjob and a fake. Pending the serial number it might still be a genuine colnago, but no way to tell without the S/N.
I will not be dishing for the bike, unless it's a dream to ride and the owner will drop his price to 1500.
Old 04-24-13, 11:27 AM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This being the case, I'd let it roll away. All credibility is lost. I wouldn't pay 1500. If you shop around, you can get a pretty nice, modern, brand new bike for $1500.
Old 04-24-13, 04:10 PM
blarnie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a C-40 with Record. That is a very well designed and built frame. At more than 10 years old, better than most frames made today. Tube and lug construction in Italy by hand. Tubes drawn in the same factory that provides tubes for Ferrari. All day ride hard feel good geometry.

And Campagnolo Record, top of the line. Better than most groups made today. Rebuildable. Tunable. Last forever and works the same as the day you bought it.

This is some good ass sheet. If the paint bothers you, then there are two good shops in Cal., Cycleart and R&R that will paint to your exact preference a high quality job for not that much.

Un-raced, worth the money. $2400 is not a lot for a bike you'll ride for ten years before it's retired.
Old 04-24-13, 07:47 PM
cbresciani

Bikes: Colnago C40 HP, De Rosa-Primato, Titus Ti FCR, MOOTS YBB-SL, Pogliaghi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice bike but I wouldn't pay $2400 for it, like others have said maybe $1500.
Old 04-24-13, 08:24 PM
sirnoodleton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The groupo was bought off ebay (~1000$), and put on the bike afterwards. I think the current owner bought the frame and forks off the original owner, and that's it. IT's definitely not a real colnago for ferrari, but if it's a legit colnago frame under there it may still be worth something. The lugs on the wheels alone are $350 used on ebay. It might be worth it just for the parts. I'm gonna take it for a test ride, let the guy know it's not real, and walk.
Old 04-24-13, 11:21 PM
soulbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do it!!
Old 04-25-13, 03:21 PM
Ride-Fly

Bikes: Colnago Mix, Dean El Diente Ti S&S, Lynskey Cooper CX Disc Ti S&S, Mondonico Futura Legerro, DeRosa Primato, Tommaisini Tecno, Ciöcc Mokva80, Colnago Classic, Brompton M6L, Bob Jackson Audax End-E

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, it's a repainted C40, prob a size 58 or 60. Not worth $2400 IMHO, but def $1500 IMHO. C40s are great bikes. I now one and love it! Would love to get another NOS in 55 to keep ready when mine dies. Hopefully it won't die for many years.
Old 05-10-13, 11:18 AM
sirnoodleton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ride-Fly
Yep, it's a repainted C40, prob a size 58 or 60. Not worth $2400 IMHO, but def $1500 IMHO. C40s are great bikes. I now one and love it! Would love to get another NOS in 55 to keep ready when mine dies. Hopefully it won't die for many years.
Bought the ferrari bike and a colnago mexico with full dura ace for $2000 in a package deal.

Both frames have zero rust, and ride nicely. The colnago ferrari has reynolds rims and white industries hubs, and campagnolo record groupo. I figure I'm getting a good price even though the bikes are old.
Old 05-10-13, 11:21 AM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Congrats.
Old 05-10-13, 12:03 PM
sirnoodleton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsharr
Congrats.

Did I make a good decision?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.