Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bye bye kidney stone

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bye bye kidney stone

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-13, 05:30 PM
NealH

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bye bye kidney stone

I had a Pyleoscopy procedure done today to rid a stone that has been giving me grief. Its gone now but, it was a "heavier" procedure than I thought. I have to wear a catheter until tomorrow and the ureter stent stays in place until next Thursday. The procedure took 2 hours and I was under general anesthesia. I asked for Proforol (the late Michael Jackson's drug of choice) but they wanted to give me something a little stronger (deeper sleep with ventilator support). The anesthetist said Proforol would probably have been Ok but they don't want any risk of movement during this procedure. Waking up wasn't too bad, but the ensuing few hours were agony. The pain was excruciating when leaving the hospital but it started mitigating around 2PM this afternoon. I'm sure a couple tablets of Oxycodone helped. I probably waited too long to take them as they gave me the prescription fill right there in the hospital and told me to start on them.

The stent will aid in passing the sand like debris that is created from the laser blasting away (heat laser). He physically removed the larger fragments and this is an advantage over Lipotripsy (which I had about 12 years ago for another boulder). My Urologist favored the Pyleoscopy method due to being able to remove most of the fragments and, to do a bladder inspection (some urine numbers were suspect).

I am still passing blood but this is to be expected....I guess. Tonight I start on a couple other prescriptions (Flowmax and Phenazopyridine) to help keep things flowing and calm the irritation to the canals. The catheter comes out tomorrow but the stent takes a week. Once the stent comes out, I am officially released with no restrictions. Assuming I still have some red blood left, its off to the Tour de Cashiers. But gosh, a low red count is not a condition conducive with an event like Cashiers. Maybe I'll ask him for a shot of EPO tomorrow. Otherwise, I might volunteer to drive sag.

I still have another stone buried deep in a pocket in the right kidney but he was unable to get to it. Hopefully it stays dormant for years as this is not a fun procedure.

My Urologist is a good doctor and I'm very pleased with him. His wife is pushing him to get into biking and she wants to ride too. So he is thinking buying a couple bikes. We talk more tomorrow when the catheter is removed. In the meantime, this will be weekend off for me.
Old 04-25-13, 05:46 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good to hear all went pretty well. Take it easy for sure until you are fully released. You can be my personal sag next week if you can't ride. I'll probably need one.
Old 04-25-13, 06:04 PM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Been there twice. It will get better quickly.
Old 04-25-13, 07:33 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Ouch! I know of your pain. I've probably passed my weight in stones over the years and have been carrying 3 (2 in one kidney and 1 in the other) for about 15 years. Mine are the calcium oxalate variety so I avoid Iced Tea, beets and other foods. I had one lipotripsy procedure for a stone that the urologist thought to be too large to pass if it broke loose. I think I left what looked to be half of the sands of Myrtle Beach in the urinal for several days after the event. Not only do stones hurt when traveling, it ain't purty when they come flying out.........One of my kids has inherited the issues and had her first stone at 18. I've had good luck with taking a diuretic and drinking lemonade (the acid helps keep the minerals from sticking together). However the diuretic can be problematic for cycling and cramping!!!

Best of luck and don't rush the comeback! You have all summer.
Old 04-25-13, 07:54 PM
fmy906

Bikes: 1979 schwinn varsity

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ouch! We all have our own issues to deal with but... Ouch! Good luck, be healthy, and ride safe.
Old 04-25-13, 09:45 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yeaow. Get better soon
Old 04-26-13, 12:15 AM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NealH
My Urologist is a good doctor and I'm very pleased with him. His wife is pushing him to get into biking and she wants to ride too. So he is thinking buying a couple bikes. We talk more tomorrow when the catheter is removed. In the meantime, this will be weekend off for me.
Bikes is a safe topic with your doctor. I am a forester. When I was getting a vasectomy, the doctor asked me what I thought of clear-cutting! And there he is with my jewels in the palm of one hand, and a scalpel in the other hand.
Old 04-26-13, 03:25 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Okay, I'm in pain and wincing just reading this. Here's to a quick recovery.

I am sooooooooo glaaaaaaad I don't have those issues and no one in my family has had kidney stones.
Old 04-26-13, 04:05 AM
Bob Nichols

Bikes: Trek 7.5 FX, Trek Navigator 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had 3 kidney stones over the years and had that same procedure for the last one. Doctor left the string hanging out to remove the stint after a week. I worried about that all week, but it didn't hurt at all when he removed it. The only restriction I had was, before I left the hospital, the nurse told me not to use that thing for anything but peeing. I said, "that's all I ever use it for."
Old 04-26-13, 04:21 AM
NealH

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since I had to have a catheter put in for a day (I just pulled it out this morning), they will have to go into the bladder to get the string and then pull the stent out. I dread thinking about it.
Old 04-26-13, 06:47 AM
mccornwall

Bikes: Old Cannondale touring bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm going in for one of those May 2. I wish you hadn't mentioned excrutiating pain at the time of leaving the hospital. Of course being a pharmacist I know I need to take the pills right away and get on top of things. Glad to hear it came out OK. Wish me luck.
Old 04-26-13, 07:18 AM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Nichols
I've had 3 kidney stones over the years and had that same procedure for the last one. Doctor left the string hanging out to remove the stint after a week. I worried about that all week, but it didn't hurt at all when he removed it. The only restriction I had was, before I left the hospital, the nurse told me not to use that thing for anything but peeing. I said, "that's all I ever use it for."
Haha, I love nurses. They have the best perspective on life.
Old 04-27-13, 06:08 AM
Bob Nichols

Bikes: Trek 7.5 FX, Trek Navigator 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mccornwall
I'm going in for one of those May 2. I wish you hadn't mentioned excrutiating pain at the time of leaving the hospital. Of course being a pharmacist I know I need to take the pills right away and get on top of things. Glad to hear it came out OK. Wish me luck.
I didn't have any pain leaving the hospital, but I did when I went to the emergency room that morning.
Old 04-27-13, 08:06 PM
Steve Sawyer

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Seceur Elite, Soma ES custom build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man, you have my sympathy.

I had a stent for about two months, and it drove me nuts. No pain, but it make you feel like you have to pee all the time. The last bout they had me go through the same procedure you did, only to find out that the stone apparently broke up and was passed on it's own. A $1000 co-pay and several days of passing blood for nuthin' That was pretty annoying too.

Glad to hear that things went well for you, and hope they take that stent out real soon!!